Some Plains (PL) Research

Discuss early Trespasser builds and all other early Trespasser stuff here! Discover more amazing stuff about the game!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Re: Some Plains (PL) Research

Post by glitchhunter09 »

@minepass: No. The view building was probably in a different test level altogether judging by what these heightmaps point to.

Also @Machf: I did some looking into that Trespasser Trailer that shows the cabin. Judging by the heightmap's round shape, it may have been used to test skybox environments. I have some proof of this from the Pre-rendered trailer. In the shot where the Rex knocks over the soda machine and roars, pause the video and look at the sky in the background. Looks like a photo doesn't it? Definitely looks like it might be a skybox. And yes, there are trees but look beyond those. Also, sure, upload them. Even if they're not interesting, it would be nice to still look at them ingame. Besides, I'm sure someone might find them useful for a custom level base.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

OK, I uploaded 3 of the levels, you can find them in the downloads section.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
HaroldRedwood
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by HaroldRedwood »

Thought I'd point to this level I found.. On Draconisaurus's file box:

https://app.box.com/shared/dzs1vhljka

Has the hut from that concept art.
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

machf wrote:OK, I uploaded 3 of the levels, you can find them in the downloads section.
Thanks, I'll take a look. You didn't mention anything about my skybox theory btw. Not that I care, was just curious what you thought about it is all.

Edit: Okay for some reason, Phystest and Shack scene crash the game. Any idea why?
HaroldRedwood
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by HaroldRedwood »

Had a look at ShackScene. Terrain is way too detailed; thinking TresEd terrain import is to blame.
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

I think it may be because it's the Trespasser Test level and machf changed the name rather than using a blank level. I actually ported the heightmap over to a new map myself and it worked just fine.
masterchiefoo7
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by masterchiefoo7 »

Hi everyone,

I think that I have missed something, when did we get a portion of the Plains level? This is the first I have heard about it, but everyone in this thread is acting like it's common knowledge.
Hammond: When they opened Disneyland in 1956, nothing worked!

Ian: Yeah, but when Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists...

visit my website @ http://www.freewebs.com/masterchiefoo7
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

masterchiefoo7 wrote:Hi everyone,

I think that I have missed something, when did we get a portion of the Plains level? This is the first I have heard about it, but everyone in this thread is acting like it's common knowledge.
We got a portion of the Plains level back in 2010 in a pack of models from a dev. It is a 3ds Max file. It doesn't have the terrain or textures but it got the Block building and a lot of foliage placed, and a few terrain objects.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
HaroldRedwood
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by HaroldRedwood »

I don't suppose - is there a link? that would be useful in turning the files into a playable level.
tatu

Post by tatu »

HaroldRedwood wrote:I don't suppose - is there a link? that would be useful in turning the files into a playable level.
Check the download section 8)

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

Found this last night. The image is of the player on top of the dam looking down at a pair of triceratops. Can be found on pg 5 in the image gallery.
Attachments
NG_005.jpg
NG_005.jpg (34.83 KiB) Viewed 11463 times
tatu

Post by tatu »

Yes, that one is from the Next Generation magazine. The magazine article is from November 1997. I'm pretty sure it is a render image from 3ds Max cause to my knowledge, speaking with the devs they didn't have a working engine until early 1998. Still, I personally do believe Plains got into a level stage at some point, as the Town didn't contain the Plains part as late as Summer 1998.

glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

I think they did have a working engine. The reason being they had test levels showcased from in-engine screenshots. Though I think the engine at that point was pretty bare bones with basic physics and no dinosaur AI. It's possible though that some of the screenshots were staged using GUInterface rather than max however. GUInterface had the ability to test levels afterall, but I'm not sure to what extent. That picture is so blurry though that it may have been the dam in a test level for all we know.

Also, I do kinda have evidence that there was some kind of work being done in November 1997. In the mystery models, the PH armchair dates back to sometime in November 1997.

Let's think realistically here for a sec. They had to have some kind of engine to test how models would work ingame. the amount of test levels prove it. Though, I'd imagine the engine wasn't properly completed to the point of being usable by the team at that point. They had three years to make this game and they only dedicated one to engine work? That doesn't sound believable to me. Then again, Wyckoff did mention a crapload of meetings in the post-mortem... And let's be honest here guys, This was nearly 20 years ago. I really doubt all the devs are gonna remember every little detail about production, let alone when the engine was actually made.

Let's compare 3DS max screenshots to some of these other staged shots for a sec. The lighting and shading is different. So either they turned those off to produce their screenshots of dinosaurs "wandering about" (and I use the term loosely because they weren't actually moving) in set poses, or they used some kind of early engine.

I'm probably thinking too much into this though... The point is, we don't have any proof Plains was ever put ingame. Though they had to have put it in at one point. Mainly to test how well the level would perform in the engine. They cut it due to performance problems iirc.

and Tatu, we gotta find that heightmap. I don't care if it's in .RAW format or .BMP or even in a max file. It's gotta be found.
tatu

Post by tatu »

I think they did have a working engine. The reason being they had test levels showcased from in-engine screenshots.
Well of course. There is always the case of tech demos, probably where they had one engine only to test water physics etc. I believe even the source have some evidence of old software like that.
Also, I do kinda have evidence that there was some kind of work being done in November 1997. In the mystery models, the PH armchair dates back to sometime in November 1997.
Well true. Even in the Mystery Models 1 pack you can see textures dating back to early 1997. I'm pretty sure they started to make game models before they actually had an engine or a clear patch how the game should be. After all, the walkthrough we have is really only an idea document, and not actually a "walkthrough" of the game.
And let's be honest here guys, This was nearly 20 years ago. I really doubt all the devs are gonna remember every little detail about production, let alone when the engine was actually made.
It is not recently I talked with the devs about this. I was in contact with a lot of devs 7 years ago, and that is when I got told this, by one of the programmers (don't remember who).
I'm probably thinking too much into this though... The point is, we don't have any proof Plains was ever put ingame. Though they had to have put it in at one point. Mainly to test how well the level would perform in the engine. They cut it due to performance problems iirc.
We never really had any proof that PH was put ingame either. We do know now, after getting it, that some of the early screenshots we have came from that level. Pretty sure we don't have any actually ingame images from Plains tho. We were also told that PH got cut early on.
I personally believe they cut Plains out for the same reason they probably cut PH, due to the lack of puzzles. There can also be the case that they cut out Plains because it was suppose to be an area with a lot of dinosaurs, and they never got it to work. We all know how laggy the game gets with too many dinosaurs activated, and the engine can't even handle a few. It could also be due to lack of time, specially since Plains was suppose to have some complex puzzles after all, according to the walkthrough.
and Tatu, we gotta find that heightmap. I don't care if it's in .RAW format or .BMP or even in a max file. It's gotta be found.
I know Glitch, I know. Trust, I have no given up yet. If it exist anywhere out there, we will find it. I hope I still will be lucky and bring more surprises to this community :)

MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

Does anyone know why PH was cut? The Pl was cut due to issues and PV was cut due to bugs. Compared with the walkthrough aside from the start point, dividing mountain, and camp it's pretty spot on. The dividing mountain was probably put there to cut down the draw distance or something (point is its not supposed to be there). Did they have to pull people from that level to help on other areas?