TresCom Forums

TresCom : The Trespasser Fan Gateway...
It is currently Thu May 26, 2022 5:18 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Trespasser Puzzle Theory
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:01 am 
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

So we've all read the 1997 walkthrough, a gold mine of information but there are bits that are either missing or very vague. And there's even bits from the game that are completely absent in the document. Here we will be looking into these areas and try to piece together what the devs had intended.

Starting with the first Theory we venture to level 3, Plantation House. This one concern's several area of this level guide. First is at the construction site
Quote:
However, there is something for the player to do here - an extremely long piece of plywood (part of a form) extends horizontally from the top of the last monorail support. In this case, the player can get at it by dragging crates from their nearby position to make a stack next to the portable toilet or construction office, climbing up on top of the trailer, and using something suitably long (like a piece of rebar with a stick clamped to the end by a dino trap, for instance) to knock the wood down.

*Mysterious walls
So as you can see the devs have you go through this effort to get a long piece of plywood but then nothing, we immediately go to the bit about the plantation fields. Next we jump to the shore
Quote:
*To the shore

When the Albertosaur has left the area, Anne can feel free to explore around some more. A fairly obvious path leads further southwest, away from the house. Near the shore, it terminates at a 5m cliff, likely too tall to safely jump down, and anyway, the player would be stuck on the beach if she jumped down and survived.
so comparing this bit to what we see in game it's a curiosity since there is a section of path leading off and down a purposefully made path to the water. Why this is when the water is a revolving texture isn't know. Getting back to the main puzzle at hand we go to Cathy's beach.
Quote:
Getting the hook

Once Anne makes it down to the beach, she will discover the remains of the wealthy family's picnic from the beginning of The Lost World. The tables, chairs, and other items have been strewn about by recent high winds, and some things have even become lodged in the surrounding trees, like a very long, sturdy-looking boathook. Anne must get this down by throwing stuff at it, or possibly gathering other debris around the beach like the picnic table and making a stack high enough to reach it, or at least reach it with a pole (somewhat like the construction area puzzle).

*Balancing beam
so here you can see we have another objective with an unknown reason. Even the ending of the level is non existent. We go to the last heading and right into IJ. So looking at the game itself there is a mysterious ravine where the IJ river would meat up with the main stream. So after speaking with Drac I originally thought you were meant to use the pole to bridge the gap and walk across it, but after further investigating we go back to the plywood plank, a long piece. Imagining this to be a rather thin board and going by the name we came up with the impression that you were meant to bridge the gap with the board and using the boat hook as a counter balance while walking across. Hence the title "Balancing beam".

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:15 pm 
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Oh man, I never thought about Anne using the boathook as a... uh balancing act thing. What are those called when a circus performer does it? Anyway that's some super-creative thinking, I'm impressed.

"Well, as long as you're under there, you can check the breakers," Thorne said. ... "There's a box right behind the front bumper. Over on the left."
"I see it." [said Sarah]
"The box is in backward. Flip all the switches the other way. Are you dry?"
"No, Doc. I'm soaking wet, lying in the damn mud."

~Michael Crichton

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:55 am 
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

So our next theory isn't so much a puzzle but scripted event. we venture to the old coffee plantation, as we all know that there was supposed to be an Ablertosaurs attack. The walkthrough offers several ways the player can survive and even fight back during this attack but one thing that is only briefly suggested is to hide in a basement. only thing is that even in b55 there isn't a basement to hide in. However, through another chat with Drac on discord I believe I've found evidence that a basement was in fact planned, and not just scrapped like the school in the town.
Attachment:
base.png
base.png [ 1.92 MiB | Viewed 323 times ]
Looking here we see two doors on either and this odd textured face on the back of the staircase, definitely doesn't match the other wall textures throughout the building. And why would there be two doors, creating this "room". So, theory is that the basement was in fact planned to be included and this oddly textured face is where it would have gone. the two doors would have been what separated the stair entrance from the rest of the house. And with the main house being the one with the breakable wall sections it wouldn't make sense for the basement to be in the outer sections as your meant to hide in there during the attack.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:59 pm 
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Quite like this theory. That texture analysis seems especially convincing.

"Well, as long as you're under there, you can check the breakers," Thorne said. ... "There's a box right behind the front bumper. Over on the left."
"I see it." [said Sarah]

~Michael Crichton

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 3:12 am 
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Hello all, been a while but we're back with another theory and today we are in the Ingen town. Near the towns entrance we have a management bungalow with a telephone pole at an angle that the player can use to get to the roof. Odd thing since there's nothing up there and the wood fence around the front is pretty sufficient at keeping the nearby raptor back. So, what's going on here? Let's check our handy walkthrough document....and what's this?
Attachment:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 1.34 MiB | Viewed 37 times ]

Quote:
Technician bungalows
Several technician bungalows, small two-room structures (kitchen/bedroom and separate bath), fill up space around the town.    Most are closed, some are open but mostly empty inside.    These will be non puzzle-critical structures in which the player may find useful tools and weapons or some props to flesh out the background.    One bungalow was Muldoon's, which looks the same as the others except for his name on a plaque on the door.

Quote:
Bring barrels from gas station to make "staircase" to hole in roof of Muldoon's bungalow.    In Muldoon's bungalow find security computer passcode (also can be derived from inside security building?). 

Interesting, although we are a very long distance away from there. So, we know that there is a lot of cut content in this area, this leaves the question - did this concept ever make it into the game...and the answer is YES. Found in the MAX files is the very same plaque mentioned in the document.
Attachment:
SBungalowNameRM01t2.jpg
SBungalowNameRM01t2.jpg [ 4.29 KiB | Viewed 37 times ]

So here we have a building with an odd puzzle set up, although a management house was used instead of the technician one, Roberts Plaque, and it's placed near Hammond and Wu's homes. The theory here is that with Robert's position in the film as head of security and the devs wanting to include him in the game they felt to upgrade his living accommodations either because of his status/importance or because they still wanted to do the roof puzzle but ran into issues with using the smaller bungalow. Or they wanted to have the extra space to hide puzzle hints or a weapon. Whatever the reason it does appear that something was going on here at some point. And while we don't have the building with the roof hole the fact that the plaque got made does say that unlike the school and other building details, this concept was being developed at some capacity.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 6:16 am 
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Cool :) Been ages since I read that walkthrough, but I do remember seeing the Robert Muldoon sign among the many uncovered assets somewhere. As to why it was cut, the names Hammond, Wu and Muldoon are well-known to Jurassic fans. Maybe it was screaming too much where all the important objects would be? Especially since they'd all be clumped together.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 12:44 pm 
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

I had forgotten about gas station barrels to get into his house. Was his house going to be closer to where the gas station is, or the gas station be somewhere else?...
The absense of a bungalow model with a hole in it. In reading dev creation guideline documents, my notion tells me that the model artist given Muldoon's Bungalow may have been told something along the lines of, "We'd still like to have his bungalow, but we're debating if a hole in the roof of a building is a good idea. So just make the plaque for now." "OK."

Quote:
Maybe it was screaming too much where all the important objects would be? Especially since they'd all be clumped together.

Interesting idea. That's one from the big picture I didn't think about, and seems plausible.

"I see it." [said Sarah]

~Michael Crichton