Remaing models to beta:

Released! - TresCom Ops' TC Act 2 Archive Forum.

Moderators: scallenger, Hilwo, Kovu

Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Well, actually you are right. It's more of a model problem. And the jaw joint is situated slightly behind where it should be, so it seems it opens wider. I'll change that tomorrow and upload the new and final version. :)

btw, raptor is getting along well too. :)
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Good to hear. :) I'm still pluggin' away on my end too. :nerd:

*Raptors, have always been my favorite. :yes:
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Downloaded. No pictures this time? <sniffles>

*I won't use the balloon basket, we don't need it. ;)
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Actually, probably will use the basket, have it tilted and some of it protruding out from the ocean.

An easy addon, though. Could you reverse faces on the balloon model, give it a new name and upload that as well? If the player peers inside, there's nothing to see but blank faces and that doesn't look right. So, I'd like to put the additional model on the inside (short culling values). I wasn't planning on having anyone meandering through the interior of the balloon itself, but if you want me to do that, I'll sub it out accordingly in lieu of simply making the model a blocked tangible.

:cartman:

*Btw, I setup one raptor as a 'sleepy dinosaur', he'll be zonked out and he's fairly hidden. Beside him, I'd like to put a dead compy carcass, as if he's sleeping off his meal, so if you care to make up a quick one, cool, but if you don't have the time I'll try to do it.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Sure, no prob to create a compy carcass as well.

Wasn't sure the balloon was going to be withing reach of the player, but no prob to model the inside...

:)
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

You're a good man, Martijn. 8)

*Btw, this might sound weird, but your post before your last was not visible to me until this morning.... it was not there yesterday, or at least, not that I could see. :?

Balloon: Yup, they'll be able to meander around it, peer in through the top hole, but I probably won't bother to allow an incursion into the interior of the balloon. Not really necessary, as there won't be anything to really do inside there.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Yeah, weird stuff going on. I got rid of IE and am using Firefox now, and it seems to work a lot better (at least it doesn't show error pages).

Still working on the ankylosaur. Like you said it's a bitch. :) Gonna try to re-rig it with the triceratops bone system like you mentioned, maybe that will work better.

* Btw; maybe you can put some pteranodons circling above it. Lets assume they attacked the balloon, punching holes in it with their beaks causing it to crash.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Nice idea (circlin' pterandons), but I'll have to evaluate how much more memory the additional flyers may chew up. I'll check into it....

*What might be more prudent to do is a flyby, though use play animation to do it and make it much more cinematic than our LH Flyby. ;)

... on another topic, I setup the napping raptor to use jump triggers around his nap site and it actually looks quite good. I spent several hours last night just allowing him to chase me around the fallen palms -- some of the jumps were great looking, leaping on you, vaulting over a section of tree. I attached what I refer to as a directional jumper model to the raptor, so that no matter what direction it's facing, that's the direction of the push. The first time I approached him, he leapt right on me, knocked me down and killed me instantly. It looked down right cool.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Just a little technical note. We're going to have to nix the idea of another circling ptera, the addition is causing all circling birds to stop motion after just a few minutes of gameplay. That's no good, of course. I tried redoing every model/setup involved and it's just not working out. I also ran into that no sound for terrain textures in the process -- what a fuckin' headache. Anyways, I'm going to have to go back to earlier level files just to straighten out the mess that I created. :?

(I still hope to add a no-flap flyby)

Beyond my troubles, how did the Trike bones system work out for the Anky? :cartman:
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Got you one circlin' ptera around the balloon working (finally). Included an occassional wing flap + sound effects while player is in and around the balloon itself. (those effects are shut off when player leaves the vicinity)
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

The first time I approached him, he leapt right on me, knocked me down and killed me instantly.
Whoa, sounds real cool, Rebel, nice job!

Trike bonesys almost matched the model perfectly. But I came across a nasty bug in TPDC (which causes vertices indexed with power of two numbers to get selected). I actually I know what code is causing it, but I have no idea why it messes up on this particular model. Anyway, I've coded a temporary workaround for it (and added weight mirroring, because the anky has so many vertices!).
I'll get it done by today and upload it. :)

Have also modeled the camera btw, all it needs is texturing.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

I should be around. I had a feeling that the Trike bones structure more resembled the Anky. You didn't model an actual camera, did you? That wasn't necessary, just a yellow crate that would contain it (and/or seismic instruments), as the voiceover states:

".... they set their yellow crates containing cameras and seismic(sp) instruments in the dust as the helicopter slowly rose...."

*...on another line, for the final, we can only add '2' more dinos, not 3. The engine won't allow it. My picks:

-Gallimimus
-Ceratosaurus

I like the tiny, plant eaters. :) Could make them avoid Anne at all times too, make them behave rather uniquely in that respect.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Well I'd suggest to drop the ankylosaur actually. The reason I preferred the steg bonesys was because the trike's is a bit messy. The way they are stored in levels isn't the 'relax pose' it is in game. The raptor bonesys for example match the final look almost perfectly, and the trike is the one which is totally messed up. If you look at the model in the levels you can see its neck, and the streched area on the legs. In game the head is moved back by a meter or so, and the legs are much shorter.

Anyway, this is the best I could come up with:

http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/ankycrap.jpg

It sure looks ugly :mrgreen: . It makes the trike look pretty lol. I admit that I haven't fully rigged it, but it would look like crap anyway.

The problem with the Steg bonesys is that the hips of the legs are at different heights, the neck is too long and the tail to short. Was still looking much better, but still weird.
And the brachiosaur won't work either because of the neck, I don't think I'll even have to try that one.

Damn quadripeds. :?

So if we'd drop the anky, it will save us a lot of trouble. I assume it doesn't matter whether that last spot reserved for our dino is a biped or quadriped?

No camera? Oh well, had the crate done already (only need to convert the texture), I'll upload the crate in a minute. :)