Can't Launch Game

Management front office desk. Ask away.

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Webteam, TresCom Board Managers

RocketLawnChair
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Can't Launch Game

Post by RocketLawnChair »

I keep getting this error after doing everything correctly. I only want to play the retail game but with all the fixes in the ATX version. Everytime i try to launch the game this comes up. I'm at a loss for what it even means or how to obtain whatever file its asking for. My os is windows 7 and i have a hard copy cd of the game i installed first, as i said, i did everything correctly. I'm unsure of the steps for installing ATX other than moving the files into the correct folder (Tres CD) and what else the guides on this site for it say and the actual ATX website. or of there is some kind of installation Wizard im unaware of. I have no idea what im doing and all the wording in these articles is just further confusing me. this computer file jargon is like an alien language to me and i have no idea what anything does other than the obvious .exe for launchers. I might need some serious step by step coaching if anyone is up for it. Otherwise im not sure ill ever be able to play the game at all.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (342.33 KiB) Viewed 12847 times
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Can't Launch Game

Post by machf »

You don't run the game from the TresCD folder, you run it from wherever it's been installed after running the installer from the TresCD folder (it should be something like C:\Program Files\DreamWorks Interactive\Trespasser\ unless you specified a different location during the installation). That's where the various modified executables should be placed, too (both ATX and/or Tres CE).

Oh, and welcome to the asylum...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

Welcome!

As machf said, it should be placed where you have installed the game and not to where you have copied the disc :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

To clarify - usually here at TresCom, the sequence of events is 1) copy the CD contents into a folder [sometimes called "TresCD"] 2) Install Trespasser FROM the files in the previously mentioned folder 3) Upgrade Trespasser with the ATX files. Not following this sequence will certainly cause issues.

Welcome, to Jurassic Park Trespasser.
RocketLawnChair
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by RocketLawnChair »

The instructions said to change the normal dreamworks directory to tres cd, is theres something im missing? thats where the game is installed right? in tres cd? im confused. thats the only place my trespasser files are. There is no 2 places involved. before the disk installation i made the tres cd folder, then i changed the directory while installing the disk to that folder. Is it a simple drag and drop for the atx files into the tres cd folder to make the patch work? nothing is specified of that nature in the instructions. I get you have to extract them, i know how to do that but do you use the normal launcher or the one i highlighted in the picture? thats what was said i was supposed to do in the instructions. i'm not against a complete do over, im fine with re-installing the disk and deleting all the old files to have a clean slate to start again if thats what is needed.

I did install the game already from using the files shown to be hidden in the setup folder, then i unzipped the atx folders and droped them into the tres cd folder (although if WHERE needs to be specific that was not said in the instructions) then tried to use the launcher that was specified i was supposed to use but i was met with this message.

i also dont even know how the highlighted replies work on this website. is it the same as @ing people on twitter or other social media sites?
tatu

Post by tatu »

I haven't read the ATX installation notes in years, so I don't know what they say, but basically:

Copy all content on the Trespasser CD to a folder on your computer.
Install the game from that folder (be sure to remove disc from drive first) to a folder of your choosing.
Extract the ATX contents to the folder where you have INSTALLED the game, not the folder you copied the CD contents to.
Run the game from the .exe file ATX comes with.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."