Fall Lodge - Autumn 2017 Level (released pg. 3)

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: Fall Lodge - Autumn 2017 Level

Post by Draconisaurus »

I did go to the length of setting Anger to 1, DamageAnger to 5, and Hunger to 0 (originally to keep it from getting distracted by dead things while maintaining a drive to attack the player). Did not use ActMoveAway; interesting. I also set TerrainPathfinding to false, so that it would not attempt to plot ANY courses or monitor terrain/obstacles and focus on its target. Do not know what effects that actually has.

At any rate, last night I finally got it working... Had to resort to teleporting invisible walls (where the player will never also be present) to herd it correctly.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Draconisaurus wrote:machf - how are those updated trees coming? Will they be done by Monday morning?
Go to http://www.trescom.org/editing/ now...

EDIT: updated it today after realizing I hadn't properly renamed a texture... no harm done since apparently, Drac is the only one who has downloaded it yet.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Working at finishing this level, we're still on track for releasing in the morning...

I want to say. Adobe Photoshop cannot seem to open DDS files. :? Version 7, not sure if later versions can. At any rate, 1) I won't be able to work with any DDS assets put out there for Trespasser 2) What are all the formats supported by CE for high-res textures?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Drop Photoshop. Use GIMP instead. Get the DDS import plug-in.

http://registry.gimp.org/node/70

Or, if you still want to go with Photoshop, look here:

https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-tex ... -photoshop
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

*memories return* You know I recall doing this before. I have a sense that it might be the same as a certain memory of long-winded unsuccessfiality. Might look into it later but I am more tempted to use alternate formats. If DDS becomes critical I'll give that a second look.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

DDS, BMP or TGA, according to Lee:

viewtopic.php?p=113732#p113732

If you can't use DDS, go with TGA, then...
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Don't use .BMP format, it causes the textures to be overly bright like a 24-bit image imported into a SWP from GeomAdd. .TGA might be safe, but .DDS has the best compression options and works great with transparency. Don't forget that you can also make parts of the texture more or less transparent in order to determine which areas should be shiner, provided you aren't replacing an image with a transparency map.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

TheIdiot wrote:

Don't use .BMP format, it causes the textures to be overly bright like a 24-bit image imported into a SWP from GeomAdd.
Yep, that and other reasons is why I didn't suggest BMP.
.TGA might be safe, but .DDS has the best compression options and works great with transparency.
And that's why I recommend DDS in the first place, too.
(Just FIY, Drac, TGA stores transparency too, but its compression is not so good)
It also allows you to store mipmaps inside the same file, too.
Don't forget that you can also make parts of the texture more or less transparent in order to determine which areas should be shiner, provided you aren't replacing an image with a transparency map.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Fall Lodge - Autumn 2017 Level (released pg. 3)

Post by Draconisaurus »

OOOOooookay........ After having been up about 36 hours, I present to you all, this Autumn... FALL LODGE.
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
https://app.box.com/s/wkn440fnryh7j2ow6l9l7cwv0jxfpef0

Very special thanks to Tatu for a remodelled version of the original Plantation House model & various assistances, to MikeTheRaptor for the new pumpkin and scarecrow models & textures, and to machf for both the 2D and 3D autumnal foliage without which this mod would not exist.

...Leaderboards for ingame scoring will be edited into the first post after the first one comes in! ;)
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Your post shows for me as "November 1st, 00:00" - missed Halloween by seconds. ;)

I'll try to play it for a while...

EDIT: uh... are you sure you posted the link properly? I only get a blank page...
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

The download link work fine for me.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Could you upload it elsewhere, tatu?

EDIT: never mind, I had to run Chrome to be able to load the page...
How I hate that site...
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Your post shows for me as "November 1st, 00:00" - missed Halloween by seconds. ;)
Same here. :P

Just finished the level - my score:

Headshots: 127
Shots Fired: 0? A bug? Seems like I fired around 200 or so, considering I aimed only for the head and didn't miss much...
Pumpkins Smashed: 2

I should note that there were a couple of kills I made where the points message didn't display - not sure if these were counted or not. I wonder if something went wrong on my end? Might have to replay it and see if everything worked properly.

Really had fun with that! My review will come later, overall impression was extremely good! This level's originality really struck me, both visually and gameplay-wise, although there were a couple of minor things to critique. I think you were successful in creating a level with plenty of replayability as I really want to go back and try to beat my score (even though I think I killed everything in the level) Makes me want to go back to my idea for a Carnivores-style level...

ANNENDUM:
Spoiler: show
I checked out the level quickly in TresEd - that last trigger for killing the homalo in the basement made me laugh. I managed to cause the HOMALO GENOCIDE trigger to come up, so I guess I'm some kind of anti-homalo extremist or something. Also, congratulations, I think you've made the tallest object tower ever constructed in TresEd...and you made it out of triggers. :wink:
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Went to bed last night at 1:30am after playing your level. Now I have time to write this:
Spoiler: show
Well, after a mostly uneventful walk (killed a few Raptors with 2 or 3 headshots -oh, and the very first one impaled itself into my rifle, instant kill-, an Allosaurus and two Homalocephales which were really annoying me, I climbed over a fence and was magically teleported into a lodge and... oh, my God, it's full of stats!

(Oh, and I didn't get a chance of Smashing Pumpkins Into Small Piles Of Putrid Debris...)

The billboards look good, but I will repeat what I mentioned in the README file for the release:
Remember, billboard trees should be out of the player's reach. These are meant for those cases
when, though out of reach, they are relatively close to the player. The billboard trees included
in Trespasser's retail levels don't look good at the distance they're mostly set...
Going to view the level in TresEd now...
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Glad yee two had fun with the level. 8)

Odd shots-fired errror, TI. Didn't run into that one. Also it's nice to see someone actually get that high a score - I never had time to test the level to that extent and was never 100% sure on how adequate the gun ammo/distribution was... I did have a couple instances of hunt points not being displayed. My best guess/analysis is that it happens when high-damage weapons do too much damage at once to a given CAnimal, such that for whatever reason they are not even counting as having died... (perhaps it knocks them down so far that they reincarnate in a different world, which the engine doesn't register).

You anti-homalo extremist, you... :x

:lol: Yes that bloody tower takes a few seconds to fly up at top speed... Next I'll do a global-rescript on them and make them Tangible and Moveable.

Btw TI, a screenshot is quite nice for the score reckoning, to ensure that no one cheats.. ;P