A new Trespasser patch/update (Trespasser CE)

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

Stingm
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg
Antispam: No

Re: A new Trespasser patch/update (Trespasser CE)

Post by Stingm »

I have a quick question. The tele code to teleport won't work with this patch. Is there another code or way to teleport? I'm trying to get to the monolith again. Thanks for the patch as it is excellent.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Stingm wrote:I have a quick question. The tele code to teleport won't work with this patch. Is there another code or way to teleport? I'm trying to get to the monolith again. Thanks for the patch as it is excellent.
It's TNext to teleport between the various teleport locations in the level. If you want to go somewhere specific, you can fly and then teleport to the location that you flew to by typing "Fly" to start flying and "Fly -1" to stop. Hope this helps! :)
Stingm
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Stingm »

tnext teleports around but not to the monolith. Fly don't work at all. is there a way to teleport to the monolith with ce ?
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Stingm wrote:tnext teleports around but not to the monolith. Fly don't work at all. is there a way to teleport to the monolith with ce ?
Oh, right, you have to change a setting in Trespasser.ini that comes with CE. Open the INI with a text editor, go to the bottom, and add this:

Code: Select all

[Debug]
LogDevInfo=4
That'll allow the FLY cheat to work. Besides flying there, there isn't any other way to get to the monolith other than opening the level in TresEd and moving the invisible wall that prevents you from getting to it.
Stingm
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Stingm »

Thanks a bunch that worked. One last question? Is there any way to play the trescom mod of 3 levels with ce? I ask because atx wont load with out fatal errors.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Stingm wrote:Thanks a bunch that worked. One last question? Is there any way to play the trescom mod of 3 levels with ce? I ask because atx wont load with out fatal errors.
There is, but you have to be willing to set-up CE's mod loading abilities and do a bit of custom editing. You can read up on it in CE's custom documentation, and I'm sure someone has explained the process of converting an ATX mod to CE before in detail - do a quick search and see if you can't find it on the forum. Very briefly, you create a "Mods" folder in your main directory (where Tpass.exe is located), then you'd make a folder for each mod, say "TrescomTrilogy" or "JPDS", etc. Then you have to give each a FM.ini, an example of which can be found in the CE documentation. From there, you edit the ini appropriately to load TPA files and levels and install the mod you want to play into your now mod folder. Finally, you edit the TP_mod.ini file in the main directory to load your mod and save the file. If you did it correctly, your mod should load and it's smooth sailing from there on. :)
Stingm
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Stingm »

Thanks
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Army of Render values in CE giving me a headache... Who knows the CE equivalent of turning draw distance up?
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Army of Render values in CE giving me a headache... Who knows the CE equivalent of turning draw distance up?
What do you mean by that, turning up the distance that objects become imposters, or the actual maximum rendered distance in-game?

This is what I have in my .ini file, under the [Render] header:

;Game Field-of-view. Recommend 75.0 for 8:6 aspect ratio, 90.0 for 16:9 and 16:10. Different values may alter game experience, and values above 110 will likely cause graphical issues. Default is 90.0 degrees of vision.
FOV=90.0

;Forces objects with low-poly distant models to always show the highest quality model. Enabling this will likely impact performance. Set to "True" to enable. Default is "False".
ForceMaxObjectDetail=False

;Minimum distance at which objects are drawn before being hidden at long distances. Raising these will impact performance - values too high or low will likely cause problems. Defaults are 20.0
MinCullDistance=20.0
MinObjectCullDist=20.0

;Minimum distance at which shadows are drawn. Raising these will likely cause severe performance hits - values too high will likely crash the game. Defaults are 5.0.
MinCullDistanceShadow=5.0
MinObjectCullDistShadow=5.0

;Minimum distance at which objects become low-quality 2D billboards. Raising this will impact performance - values too high will likely cause problems. Default is 35.0.
CacheMinDist=35.0

;Minimum distance at which 2D billboards are drawn before being hidden at long distances. This will not impact performance too much unless raised very high. Default is 50.0
MinCachedObjectCullDist=50.0
I'm unsure of the differences between MinCullDistance and MinObjectCullDistance, so you might want to test those out a bit more before using definitive values.

I don't think any of these settings actually change the maximum overall draw distance of terrain and objects, though. You may have to set the

float FarClipPlane = 
and

float CullMaxDist = 
values in the actual level in order to change this, as far as I know. There could be a CE setting to change this as well, however. RTJP is using values of 4096 for the FarClipPlane and 1024 for the CullMaxDist for a 4096x height map, which allows you to see juuuuust to the other end of the map - normal-sized (2048x) levels would probably do better with FarClipPlane set 2048 to avoid being able to see out into the void. :)
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Try my settings:

;-------
[Render]
;-------

32bitHardwareTextures=True

FOV=75.0
LockHorizFOV=False

CacheMinDist=100.0

MinCullDistance=80.0
MinCullDistanceShadow=60.0

ObjectCullDistScale=5.0
ObjectCullDistScaleShadow=1.25

CachedObjectCullDistScale=8.0

MinObjectCullDist=100.0
MinObjectCullDistShadow=20.0
MinCachedObjectCullDist=500.0

MinTerrainNodeEvalDist=35

ForceMaxObjectDetail=True

TexFilterD3D=8

ForceNoBlendTrans=False
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

So, tried the settings from both of you... All three (mine included) have objects "popping" at the exact same distance. Draw Distance increase was one of the primary, basic features of ATX, what is it about CE that's causing this? Manual object culling value increase doesn't seem to work (was able to make an object closer than default but not farther).
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Did you remember this part?

;-----------
[DisplayDX9]
;-----------

UseDX9=True

Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

No no they're still on.
Why the hell wouldn't there be a draw distance increase function... What gets me is why we haven't noticed this before. Surely the draw distance is higher than retail Tres. Where was it changed and how can we manipulate it..
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Actually, the equivalent of ATX's draw distance parameter is

CacheMinDist=100.0
These ones:

MinCullDistance=80.0
MinCullDistanceShadow=60.0
MinObjectCullDist=100.0
MinObjectCullDistShadow=20.0
MinCachedObjectCullDist=500.0
are for the distance at which obects and shadows don't get rendered.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

What exactly does that first one do? Cause it was in your earlier code and draw dist was unphased...