My new map, working on it

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

My new map, working on it

Post by Teromen »

Just wandering what you guys and gals thought of my wellhead. I might try to lower the poly count if it causes bugs.
I've decided to go with either a jungle airport or a geothermal power plant. This is the wellhead for the plant.

Edit: The first pic uses 8 sides per cylinder. The other two are 16 sides. They look way more realistic.
Attachments
TPass006.jpg
TPass006.jpg (4.39 KiB) Viewed 18824 times
TPass005.jpg
TPass005.jpg (4.5 KiB) Viewed 18825 times
TPass004.jpg
TPass004.jpg (4.74 KiB) Viewed 18825 times
Last edited by Teromen on Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: My new map, working on it

Post by TheIdiot »

Looks great! New models are always welcome. I bet hppav will be excited to see someone doing a fresh Geothermal Plant. What's the polycount like? 16-sides is probably acceptable. I tend to prefer 8-12, but that's an odd number to use and can require a bit of extra tweaking.
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

After testing it, I like it with 8 per side for a Tres model. I'm watching youtube for how to make a geothermal plant. The hardest part will be the scripting. I gotta find out if it's possible to have steam clouds in Tres. Geothermal plants lets off steam into the air. They can look kind of like those tall towers nuclear plants have, with steam coming out of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjpp2MQffnw
Attachments
TPass007.jpg
TPass007.jpg (6.29 KiB) Viewed 18823 times
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Looking good. I support the lower-poly version. Some advice from my JPDS-days, which may or may not be relevant: Don't get caught up on the specialness of individual new models you make. They are very cool and all that but comprise a small portion of the whole which is your target. Save the admiration for later stage and keep pumping new models out, without getting hung up on each as you go...

As for steam: Very possible in Trespasser. Go into TC~Isle (TC Act II) and you'll find a mechanical steam vent of some kind in the cave section. Adjust the scale and/or dimensions of the mesh to suit your geothermal needs.
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

I figured a geothermal plant should have volcano's nearby. Here is a glimpse of the level. The large area near the volcano still needs to be flattened out and I'm gonna add a road. Blurring the outer non playable areas and optimizing it. Other than that its mostly done.
Attachments
TPass008.jpg
TPass008.jpg (20.07 KiB) Viewed 18792 times
TPass009.jpg
TPass009.jpg (45.06 KiB) Viewed 18792 times
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

That's a cool looking heightmap! I like the craggy cliffs and volcanoes everywhere, kinda reminds me of Isla Nublar.

You sure you don't want to make the playable area a bit larger? It seems kind of silly to have all that unused area...
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

It would take forever to fill with foliage hehe. You can explore one of them b.t.w. Should be neat.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Keep it up... Would be cool if the circular area were raised a bit relative to the surroundings..
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

You mean the big area in the middle?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Yes.
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

How should I raise it up? Keep in mind that's where the geothermal plant goes.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Weeellll, easy way in TresEd would be: Go to Terrain Edit mode... Select a point in the center of the area to be raised. Then set a LARGE "Radius", 200 or whatever... Make it the size of whatever the caldera/cross-circumference would be, then use the Area tool and raise it upward. Use whatever Feather value gives an appropriate gradual rise to the surrounding terrain. 8)
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

Thanks but I mean how should the style be? I'll try something and post a screenshot. So far I do most of my terrain editing in the Unreal development kit.

I create heightmaps in Bryce, blend them together in Photoshop. Modify them in World Machine, edit them in UDK(where I do most of the editing). The image is exported from UDK and then converted to a tif image with Height Map Conversion Software(handy program). Create a displacement model with a 16 bit heightmap in 3dsmax, export to trr format, then the rest in guiapp.
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

Here are a couple screenshots of the center. It is already raised a bit but a can raise it more. I'm gonna study some jungle images for ideas before I edit it.

Edit: Sorry to double post. Won't happen again.
Attachments
TPass0010.jpg
TPass0010.jpg (221.58 KiB) Viewed 18712 times
TPass0011.jpg
TPass0011.jpg (238.04 KiB) Viewed 18712 times
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Nice-looking terrain going... How should the style be? Not quite a question I understand.