Post by Teromen »

Anyone have any ideas for levels?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: Level Ideas

Post by Draconisaurus »

Plenty... never thought of making a thread for level creation inspiration.

First off, some common sources (for me) of inspiration for new levels:
  • Google image searches of natural landscapes
  • Dinosaur documentaries
  • Film locations not yet created in Trespasser (or ones which could be done better justice to)
  • Wild/natural areas around where you live
  • Artwork that you draw
Think I'll leave it at that for now... covers a lot of ground. Want to note also that a tutorial series by me should be inbound shortly.
MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

When I started playing around with tres ed this was my idea for a level but with MinePass i decided against pursing it.

"A walk in the park"
The goal of this level is to kill the Spinosaur.
The level is based on the airstrip scene from JP3. You would take the role of Cooper, the starting weapons would be a Barret M82 .50 caliber and a Desert Eagle. Aside from the airstrip the surrounding jungle would be dense and sparse of anything of interest (an abandoned truck, a lake or river, and evidence of a large animal in the area - trampled foliage and a bloody carcass is all). Scenery is not the only thing that's sparse, guns are rare and ones with ammo are even rarer. Aside from the Spinosaur there are a couple of compys and maybe a few dilophosaures and a jp3 raptor.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Reminds me of East Dock... JP scene microcosm.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

MinePass wrote:When I started playing around with tres ed this was my idea for a level but with MinePass i decided against pursing it.

"A walk in the park"
The goal of this level is to kill the Spinosaur.
The level is based on the airstrip scene from JP3. You would take the role of Cooper, the starting weapons would be a Barret M82 .50 caliber and a Desert Eagle. Aside from the airstrip the surrounding jungle would be dense and sparse of anything of interest (an abandoned truck, a lake or river, and evidence of a large animal in the area - trampled foliage and a bloody carcass is all). Scenery is not the only thing that's sparse, guns are rare and ones with ammo are even rarer. Aside from the Spinosaur there are a couple of compys and maybe a few dilophosaures and a jp3 raptor.
I really like this idea. I think it would be even more interesting if the only enemy at all were the spinosaurus. You could make it much more interesting if it were heavily scripted, especially if for example it spawned in different locations each time and were on a random system where it moves to different locations, so you're constantly searching for it in what would have to be a very dense level with plenty of places for it to hide. Would also create quite the interesting challenge if perhaps you only have like 3-5 bullets at all, without there being spare ammo, so the goal would be to find and kill the spinosaur before it finds you. Sort of like "Hunt the Wumpus".

But yeah, as for the original purpose of the thread, I think Draco provided a good summary of places to get ideas. I find a lot of the time that it's the places around me that inspire me the most. Might be out for a hike in the woods and cross a bridge over a shallow, rocky stream for example and want to incorporate that somewhere into a level.
Film locations not yet created in Trespasser (or ones which could be done better justice to)
At this point, it seems that between JPDS, ED, JPO, RTJP and some of hppav's other work, there isn't really a major location we haven't covered, aside from maybe Jurassic Park: San Diego... :wink:
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Don't forget Jurassic World! :yum: ;)
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Don't forget Jurassic World! :yum: ;)
:x MOVING ON... :P

I guess there are other JP materials other than the movies you could try and recreate. Games, comics, books. Heck, it'd be really cool to see a RTJP-ish mod, but set on the novel's version of Isla Nublar. I've got a rough heightmap for that somewhere...should upload it one day.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

TheIdiot wrote:I've got a rough heightmap for that somewhere...should upload it one day.
:| "Please, chance it..."