A new Trespasser patch/update (Trespasser CE)

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

TyrannoWright
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Re: A new Trespasser patch/update (Trespasser CE)

Post by TyrannoWright »

Is this still being worked on? Haven't heard anything before Jurassic World came out. I was really looking forward to this. :L
Nicolas
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Nicolas »

I wish it still is! What has been released so far is nothing short of amazing and with a little bit of work it could open the path to a hd texture/model project that would massively update the game .
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Hey guys, was reading through the thread. I have to say the changes I've been reading about are quite impressive. Though there have been a few things that haven't been fixed that I haven't saw addressed. Let's start with bones and joints. As Seamus Blackley stated in an interview the dinosaur animations were "Good and broken". I've always found some of the animations rather strange for the dinosaurs. Plus you have dinosaurs that contort out of shape when they run into things. Would it be possible to limit how much a model can contort?

The same applies to Anne's arm as well. As we all know it can rotate and twist into impossible positions. Limiting this would be great. Not sure if this is related to the source, the animations, or the models themselves but having some kind of fix would be useful.

Also, would it be possible to do something similar to the texture replacement using models? We have a lot of high quality models that would be great to add to the game in place of the old Trespasser models.

Edit: okay tried it out. For some reason a few of the build 96 levels are crashing. Kinda weird. I'm not sure if it's the EXE, my files, or what.
edit2: hmmmm so apparently the final version is affected as well for some reason.
edit3: figured out what was wrong apparently it doesn't like the MAPS folder in the installed directory so I deleted it.

In other news, I can't figure out how to edit draw distance...

edit4: figured that out as well.
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

So is anyone else having problems with the invul and Tele cheats? They're acting like they used to in the retail engine. Where you can activate them but they do absolutely nothing.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

glitchhunter09 wrote:So is anyone else having problems with the invul and Tele cheats? They're acting like they used to in the retail engine. Where you can activate them but they do absolutely nothing.
Nope. After reading your other post, maybe there's a hardware conflict or something? Or a bad installation? This is the sort of thing you need people familiar with the source code and PCs in general to help with, I think.
nihilyst
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by nihilyst »

Hey there,

just another question about running Trespasser with this nice CE ptach:

I have a NVidia 3d Vision Kit running fine with my graphics board (GTX 770). When I run Trespasser in hardware rendering with this patch the drivers seem to "try" to run the game in stereoscopic 3D (half the Frame rate) but there is no stereoscopic image displayed on my monitor :-(. Is there some way the game can run in 3D for the NVidia 3D Vision 2? Some other old games (like Underground 2) run just fine with the Kit even if they also weren´t developed for gaming in stereoscopic 3d...

[sorry for my english, greetings from Germany ;-)]
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

TheIdiot wrote:
glitchhunter09 wrote:So is anyone else having problems with the invul and Tele cheats? They're acting like they used to in the retail engine. Where you can activate them but they do absolutely nothing.
Nope. After reading your other post, maybe there's a hardware conflict or something? Or a bad installation? This is the sort of thing you need people familiar with the source code and PCs in general to help with, I think.
So I got a hold of a C++ expert. It wasn't Lee though. It was Rexhunter99. He said that the texture issue might have something to do with a mipmapping problem with the Terrain textures. He said it might have something to do with moving from DirectX 6 to Directx 9.
DennisNedry
Parasaurus
Parasaurus
Location: Over here hacking . . . I mean protecting your computer! :)

Post by DennisNedry »

Hey guys, I am new to these patches. I have a question. Which patch is better, the ATX patch or this one, Trespasser CE? Because I think that Trespasser CE is newer than the ATX patch. Thanks! :nerd:
Hammond: Our lives are in your hands and you have butterfingers?
Nedry: AH AH AH you didn't say the magic word! SNICKERS!
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

DennisNedry wrote:Hey guys, I am new to these patches. I have a question. Which patch is better, the ATX patch or this one, Trespasser CE? Because I think that Trespasser CE is newer than the ATX patch. Thanks! :nerd:
Welcome to the forums. I warn you, however, Mr. Nedry, that shutting down the computer network in order to steal vital information may have worked on InGen, but the staff here are far more vigilant! I will report anything pertaining to a "wht.rbt.obj" or NedryLand! :P (Just kidding, seriously welcome)

I think your choice between CE and ATX is based on both personal preference and requirements. Playing individual levels or the retail game is generally better done with CE since it runs far better and is much more stable, along with all the graphical updates, while ATX is better suited to running standalone total conversion mods. The main advantages to ATX are the inclusion of several ActionTypes used in level scripting (such as a spitting action for dilophosaurs) that are not present in CE, though the bad side of that is that ATX is less stable and runs a lot slower in highly detailed levels such as Trespasser Legacy. Personally, I stick to CE since most levels don't really utilize the few extra features ATX has over CE...the only levels I'd really recommend be played with ATX for the full experience are JPDS, TC~Isle, and East Dock.
I'll do a quick comparison list for future reference:

Trespasser Custom Edition:

- Vastly improved performance and stability, DX9 support
- Improved graphics, including but not limited to HD resolution, HD textures, normalmaps, water distortion, anti-aliasing, and longer draw distance
- Heavily configurable in trespasser.ini for your tastes
- Implementation of most, but not all, of the ATX Actiontypes.
- Ability to have separate mod folders for running different mods independent of original game (though still requires Tres installed)
- Full compatibility with modern operating systems
- Fog color fix, proper skybox support, as well as real-life star map importing
- Sound working perfectly on modern sound card 7.1 surround, however sound effect distance is slightly off at times
- External text files available for localization of certain game strings

ATX Patch:
- Improved performance, but not as much as CE. Still fairly crash prone in high density levels.
- Many graphical options available in .ini files, including widescreen support. Longer draw distance can cause large performance hit however.
- Very user-friendly mod support using MAPS folder structure and level-based .ini files
- All Actiontypes included, as well as automatic jumping Raptors and working HUD, among other things
- Runs as its own EXE file, which allows the creation of full, Trespasser-independent standalone mods (though still requires Tres installed)
- Full (untested, however) compatibility with modern operating systems
- Object randomization possible using external files (vanilla levels are all covered for much more interesting and replayble experience)
- Sound working perfectly on modern sound card 7.1 surround
- Feels a lot more like the original game engine with improved vanilla experience

Hopefully that gives out the basics for anyone else who's curious. Let me know if I've missed anything major since I'm no expert!
DennisNedry
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by DennisNedry »

TheIdiot wrote:
DennisNedry wrote:Hey guys, I am new to these patches. I have a question. Which patch is better, the ATX patch or this one, Trespasser CE? Because I think that Trespasser CE is newer than the ATX patch. Thanks! :nerd:
Welcome to the forums. I warn you, however, Mr. Nedry, that shutting down the computer network in order to steal vital information may have worked on InGen, but the staff here are far more vigilant! I will report anything pertaining to a "wht.rbt.obj" or NedryLand! :P (Just kidding, seriously welcome)
I'm totally unappreciated in my time, Thanks dad! LOL!! :mrgreen: Thanks for the fun welcome!

Ok that sounds like Trespasser CE is the best to go with the retail game and most of the custom levels, thanks! Does Trespasser CE at least have a HUD like ATX does?
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I'm totally unappreciated in my time, Thanks dad!
I don't blame people for their mistakes...but I do ask that they try not to do it again. :P
Ok that sounds like Trespasser CE is the best to go with the retail game and most of the custom levels, thanks! Does Trespasser CE at least have a HUD like ATX does?
No, unfortunately, CE doesn't support a HUD in the current version. I think it generally makes up for it with all of the core engine improvements however.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

Personally I never liked the hud in Trespasser, it is easy enough to know your health and ammo.

However, it is possible to have both CE and ATX installed at the same time, and switch between them, depending on the level you want to play. Since CE only adds a new .exe, it shouldn't be that messy anyway.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
DennisNedry
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by DennisNedry »

tatu wrote:However, it is possible to have both CE and ATX installed at the same time, and switch between them, depending on the level you want to play. Since CE only adds a new .exe, it shouldn't be that messy anyway.
Really? I would think that the patches would conflict with one another. Is there a guide for installing both of them together?

- Is there anyone who can debug two million lines of code for what you guys get paid for this job? Because if there is I would love to see them . . .

Oh wait, you guys aren't getting paid. :o :P
tatu
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

Just install them as they say in the Readme. Then you will be able to choose between two exe. One with ATX and one with CE. For Trespasser, you can rename the exe without it causing any problems, so you can name them Tres CE and Tres ATX and run the one you want :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
DennisNedry
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by DennisNedry »

tatu wrote:Just install them as they say in the Readme. Then you will be able to choose between two exe. One with ATX and one with CE. For Trespasser, you can rename the exe without it causing any problems, so you can name them Tres CE and Tres ATX and run the one you want :)
Great, that is perfect! That way I can play ATX with the levels that need it and stay with Trespasser CE for the base game and the other custom levels, Thanks!