A new Trespasser patch/update (Trespasser CE)

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

Lee Arbuco
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

A new Trespasser patch/update (Trespasser CE)

Post by Lee Arbuco »

This patch (Trespasser CE), that was engineered from genetic material thought to be extinct, provides improved support for modern hardware and Windows versions, but also has some fixes and additions. Read the included documentation for installation instructions and more detailed information.

Code: Select all

Change-list highlights:

- support for all display modes (supported by DX and the GPU)
- 32-bit graphics support
- support for a full hardware rendering pipeline (the original uses mixed HW and SW rendering, which has performance and MSAA issues), but texture filtering can be disabled for those that prefer a software rendered retro look
- DirectX 9 support, for an overall more pleasant user experience on newer Windows versions (XP+), and also enables hardware bumpmapping and water distortion effects (if the video card supports it, Shader Model 2.0+)
- OpenAL sound support
- various INI file based parameters for advanced quality adjustments
- option to stow two weapons/items at once (one in the belt and one on the back)
- fixed some stability and other issues, like the disappearing footstep sound bug
- built-in mod support (via a path override system), allows user levels to be installed in separate directories without modifying the game install
- support for HW texture overrides (enabling texture upgrade mods)
- scripting support that can be used for a variety of things from adding HUD to custom Action Types (using the Squirrel script language)

Oooh, ahhh, that's how it always starts. Then later there's running and screaming... In case of any problems always supply the log file "trespasser.log", to make it faster and easier for others to help. If there was a crash then also include the "crash.dmp" file.

/Lee

File: tpass-ce_v107e.zip
MD5 checksum: 5b2ffd2080d7a544f819ee0dfa208ef3
SHA-1 checksum: 3cf94926f9adc45c4a31f51705803258755979aa
Build version: 1.0.135

File: tpass-ce_edtools_v107e.7z
MD5 checksum: ab37bdef77b69336beb89b7d29ae4ade
SHA-1 checksum: f437d1bdb446ebc4ec00ecf2f0a584c3942d8887

Edit by TheIdiot:
Trespasser CE mod folder template (only needed by modders):
http://www.trescom.org/download/downloa ... mplate.zip
Attachments
tpass-ce_edtools_v107e.7z
(2.19 MiB) Downloaded 1722 times
tpass-ce_v107e.zip
(2.47 MiB) Downloaded 3973 times
Last edited by Lee Arbuco on Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:29 pm, edited 12 times in total.
madppiper
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Re: A new Trespasser patch/update (Trespasser CE)

Post by madppiper »

Hi,

that's great news - though I am unfortunately receiving a warning from my virus scanner for win32:evo-gen. Could be a false positive of course, but can somebody verify that it is?

Thanks / regards,
Paul
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Hey, li' brother. Yeah, it flagged on my machine as well. I'd love to check it out, but without risk -
Lee Arbuco
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Lee Arbuco »

I'm sorry to hear about that. That's certainly a false positive, but I know it doesn't help much for me to say that. All I can offer is googling for evo-gen and false positives, which does come up with a number of reports, in particular with Avast if that's what you're using. Also you could try scanning the exe using an online virus checker, like virustotal.com for example. Virustotal runs it through 55 different virus scanners on the market, and it passes all of them.
Mickey
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Mickey »

Clean on my side guys :)
Ran it through virustotal just to make sure and it passed all tests :)

Thanks Lee, have to check it out :yes:

P.s: Nice to know your account is active now Lee :wink:
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
Antispam: No

Post by hppav »

I've been playing around with it for awhile... And holy shit it's like I'm playing another game.. :o

Pros:
With modifying Trespasser.ini, I enabled all sorts of graphics features like Anti-aliasing which made the game look totally different.
Objects, while rendered in 2D at distance, appear to be rendered much clearer, giving a better impression of detail
The game now has a huge draw distance without any noticeable FPS drop.
The sound is beautiful, dino roars are scarier than I've ever remembered them (and that's hard to do).
And the water effects are so much better now that it's amazing.

Cons:
I don't know why, but on my end it won't decompress the SPZ to SWP anymore, so I had to take the lab level and load it in the ATX exe and then load it in this EXE.
Objects, while rendered in 2D at distance, have a tendency to jump more than they did before, like the image updating has slowed down. Also they are not anti-aliased, but that's a small complaint...

IDK:
I can't screenshot with PrntScrn, is it another button? I'm pretty sure it was PrntScrn in vanilla Tres. (NOTE: screenshots below were taken by PrntScrning and then alt+tabing out to MSPaint

Screenshots:
I decided to take some screenshots, primarily of the Lab level, and then the ultimate test my Visitor Center level. Click on them to expand them. Note: the game appears darker than this when you are playing it for some reason.

It was impossible to not notice the immediate improvement in the appearance of all objects. Imagine what this would look like if we manage to up the texture resolution? Oh boy!

2spooky4me, but take a look at that draw distance beyond the T-Rex's mouth.

Take a look at this more complex shot showing the bus parked at the harbor gates, everything just looks so much better now.

Water refraction! OMG, that is some beautiful thing to see in game, you honestly have to check it out!

The sorting error is still present - making the boxes inside the warehouse visible through the walls and roof - I think Slugger found the variable for it but I'm not sure... But you can barely tell now due to the draw distance.

And now the real test... my Visitor Center:

Wow, this looks so cool with the anti-aliasing! :o

Really nice looking here too 8)

This honestly looks like a different game...

I also like this cool depth of field look going on to the in-game menu.

Holy crap, I can see not only the text... but the FLAMES from this distance.

I swear, animated textures look much more fluid than they do in vanilla Tres...

This is awesome all around, pretty cool job man 8)
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
Lee Arbuco
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Lee Arbuco »

hppav wrote:I don't know why, but on my end it won't decompress the SPZ to SWP anymore
I can't screenshot with PrntScrn, is it another button? I'm pretty sure it was PrntScrn in vanilla Tres.
I haven't run into any problems with SPZ to SWP decompression, at least on the original levels. The screenshot key has not changed and should still work, unless there's some kind of failure to read the image buffer or write the file. The first impression would be that the game doesn't have write-access to the game directory, as both operations will try to save files in there. Is it perhaps a directory where only the Administrator has write access, and due to the game not requiring to run with UAC it can no longer write?

On both accounts the log file may have some clues. It would have to be the log file(s) after running a session where the not working functionality is attempted.

If you can't find any log file then it's very likely a write-access problem.
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

Ah, yeah, setting it to Run as Administrator worked, that must have been it, :lol:

How long did it take you to do this btw? It seems like it must have taken a while to get it working this well... The people we had working with the source said they didn't really have a whole lot of time to dedicate to updating the graphics and that it would be a long process that would mean rewriting a good portion of the code...
Lee Arbuco
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Lee Arbuco »

In the range of two to three months.
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Holy shit.

When I get home from work, I've got some catching up to do!
tatu

Post by tatu »

Cool! Will check it out!
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Ooohhh, what's this? Why didn't I check the forum again an hour later yesterday? This sort of thing always happens to me...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Slugger »

I'm right with you on that sentiment machf -- I saw hppav's Facebook post while I was at work and have been excited for this all day! Looks awesome and a much needed improvement!

Any one try TC Isle with this yet? I bet the graphics look completely modern.
0066521C: 'Cannot create local swap file - Is Trespasser installed??',0Ah,0
"Cold lino was the driving force behind world power!"
Lee Arbuco
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Lee Arbuco »

I discovered a bug when using tpass.ini. A last minute addition, they always come back to haunt you.

The original post has been edited with links to an updated patch. Sorry for the inconvenience.
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

Just realized that I hadn't changed registry values for the retail copy of Tres, so the textures are a actually higher resolution and clearer than they appear in my first round of screenshots, here's another round of screenshots that show this:

Visitor Center front showing full resolution textures, which appear much clearer.

Visitor Center interior with full resolution textures, looks even better.

Now for some Jungle Road. It feels so different, almost like I'm playing a mod of another game based off of Trespasser...

Screenshots alone can't do this waterfall justice, it looks awesome in game with the water refraction and better looking texture animation.

Here's the plantation house outside.

And the inside, looks like a completely different game.

Here's the trailers with their complex shapes, looking much nicer now.

And now my unfinished WTC level. This shows the object jumping error a bit with the tower in the background.

Looking up the tower from the ground. I'm not sure if I could do this in Tres before without LOD meshes appearing above me...

And now, both towers without any LOD meshes.... I KNOW Tres couldn't handle that before... And there wasn't really much noticeable slowdown, despite all the polygons being rendered here... And this is exactly the look I was going for before I gave up on it... 8)