Trespassing - A Trespasser Remake / Re-Telling (Old topic)

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Trespassing - A Trespasser Remake / Re-Telling

Post by machf »

I downloaded it and tried watching it at FullHD, but my PC struggles with the compression, so I had to watch it in HD instead. Nice video, but the static dinosaurs ruin the effect, as everything else has motion.
And I want to see more!
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Daveyploo
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Daveyploo »

Anyone guess where this will be used?
Attachments
getityet.jpg
getityet.jpg (108.78 KiB) Viewed 6430 times
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

The drug smugglers' crashed airplane?
Either that, ot the town buses...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Yeah, I'm thinking tour bus as well.
Daveyploo
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Daveyploo »

correct! :mrgreen:
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
Antispam: No

Post by hppav »

I haven't seen either of you on here in a while, hope everything is ok? I know there were some issues, according to s13n1's site, a couple of months ago...
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-
Antispam: No

Post by s13n1 »

I thought I would post this here rather than on the blog or in the level design thread, as News like this would only worry some people and flood me with questions.

I've been working on a new version of the island, using unmodified levels @ 100% full size.

To get the scale correct, I extracted the Town walls + Complete Sidewalk and scaled them to match the players size. I then adjusted the heightmap based on how the walls fit, and eventually got it spot on.

Because my old computer could only handle a heightmap of 4096x4096, I was not able to make the island any bigger to get the size exact. Now I'm using an 8192x8192 (8.192 kilometers) heightmap, and to match the scale to Trespasser exactly, I had to increase the island size by 18% over the island I'm using in Stage 1. The island I'm using in Stage 1 was actually scaled up from the one seen in the flythrough video by 10%, so this new island is 28% bigger than the flythrough island!

This new island is also 100% accurate and no polygon reduction scripts were used to lower the detail. It should be the most perfect replication ever made.

Before I finish working on it in 3DS Max, Im going to lower the harbor so the ocean height is the same as the beach. This doesn't matter so much for the coastline seen in Ascent1, but it's impossible to excuse the change in ocean height by saying the tide is out. It's a difference of 27.5 meters.

The reason I started with all new levels extracted from Tres, was because of some very unusual differences between the island i had and the original levels. The town walls fit perfectly, the east gate lined up perfectly, as did the front wall and the buffer behind the church and hill. But for some unknown reason, the sidewalk / road did not extend up to where the steps of the Ops building should be, and was off to the left by about another whole roads width. With the sidewalk and walls is this position, it also placed all the mounds of soil around the construction sites in the wrong positions. It was truly bizarre and did my head in for about an hour.

I was unable to make any sense of it, it looked as if the whole area was too long and short at the same time, and that some of the details had somehow shifted. I put it down to detail being lost in translation / conversion, and thought it was best to start fresh. The island had been rotated and up / down scaled so many times, plus poly reduction scripts applied and then the laborious process of importing it into cryengine, I wouldn't be surprised if something had gone wrong.

Because I was using lightwave to edit the original levels and merge them, I had to get the total vertices number for the finished island to less than 65,000. Some levels have more than this, which is why I so heavily reduced the Poly's. The difference was essentially unnoticeable, but its possible it resulted in some of the unusual stuff I'm finding now.

I've also found some huge differences in height for certain areas of terrain. One area will be exact, then right next to it a small hill will look 50% bigger than it does in TresEd. I wanted to be sure all of this was fixed.

While I was at it, I also used the beta version of JR, which for some unknown reason I forgot in my other island. I had to unblock the entrance to the valley and recreate the creek bed by hand. Was a nightmare. Here its perfect.

This island will be used for Stage 2/3. I'm so close to finishing the first stage, there's no point changing the heightmap at this point. The island is not rotated 45 degrees and is so much bigger, the change would be next to impossible anyway.

There's a good chance there will be no Stage4. I'm more than happy with a project that uses updated assets from Trespasser, rather than 100% new stuff, even for stage 1 it looks really nice. The amount of work required to replace everything with 100% new HD content would probably extend well into 2015.

I'll also be extensively testing the new CryEngine before I start the next stage. There are a few things I don't like about it, with possible memory limitations that scare me a little, but there are a lot of things I do like about it.

The new global illumination means that inside areas where there is no sunlight, its actually dark and you don't need to use negative lights the way I need to in CE2. The Ops building for instance, needed multiple negative lights to make it look sufficiently dark inside. In the new engine, bright light bounces off from other surfaces and even bleeds colour onto other surfaces. It looks really beautiful. If there's a blue barrel near a concrete wall, and the sunlight is really bright, the wall behind the barrel will have some blue light bounced onto it. Its really nice.

The real time water ripples are also really nice and long overdue. I'd have to settle for pre rendered ones in CE, but in the new engine they are real time and they are 3d. They also reflect light, which looks amazing.

Anyway, it will probably be about mid next week that I get it into the engine to do some testing. Once in I'll do some more tests and post some shots here.
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by RexHunter99 »

madppiper wrote:Well, as far as promoting is concerned - i think we can really give it a broader shot, if you are up for it. We were featured in gaming magazines before. I am sure that the quality of what you are doing is going to spark some interest
I could submit the game to one of the Australian PC Mags I'm subscribed to if you'd like. They review a lot of Indie games in development and might even make an effort to interview you.
~ They told me humans weren't real... I proved them wrong.
ImageAnthropology ~ A beautiful tale.
EpicZen
Carnivores Hub ~ Need the full games without all the hassle of torrents or viruses? Run on over to EpicZen's Carnivores Hub!