Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

DeadEye
Triceratops
Triceratops
Antispam: No

Last Outpost: Something I Made In a Day

Post by DeadEye »

I HAVE LONG ABANDONED THIS MAP, IN SEARCH OF RECREATING MY FIRST. IF AT ALL POSSIBLE, I'D LIKE THE MODS TO CLOSE/DELETE THIS THREAD. THIS PROJECT IS EMBARRASINGLY OLD.

Last Outpost is simply an experiment, but if this gets popular enough I may be encouraged enough to make it something bigger. So play away, post any problems in this thread here.
There's a minor story behind the skeleton in the house:
A Hunter, seperated from the others during the course of TLW,
takes a jeep and drives for days, until his jeep is attacked by two raptors.
He flees into the house, gets eaten, etc.

NOTE: THE ONLY GLITCH I FOUND WHILE PLAYING IS THAT THE WALLS OF THE HOUSE CAN BE WALKED THROUGH. THIS SHOULDN'T AFFECT GAMEPLAY, BUT BE ADVISED THAT THE DINOSAURS CAN, TOO.

I recommend TresCE to use it, but you can also use the Quickload button on the menu to use it. For TresCE, simply place the archive into the Game data, then data folder, then extract. When you play TresCE, it should come up on the Load Level menu as Outpost.

Get it here:

http://www.filefront.com/17189657/Last Outpost.zip

Thanks to Second Illiteration for the Alpha Raptor skin.

I'm now making a newer version of this (With no buildings, due to the hassle of figuring out how to get them to be solid) called Last Outpost: The Spire. The name will be explained in-game, and I made a little teaser for you all. This footage was taken from within TresEd and is very early in the development process:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZSgcs48RxU

I've got no real release date, but you can expect to see it finished and public within a few weeks to a month or two, depending on if my mind wanders or life catches up with me.
Last edited by DeadEye on Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:31 pm, edited 7 times in total.
"It's not the pace of life I mind. It's the sudden stop at the end."
~Hobbes

"It does not take the world's most powerful nations to spark the next global conflict. Just the will, of one man."
~Vladimir Makarov
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Re: Last Outpost: Something I Made In a Day

Post by Nick3069 »

You're level doesn't work. Did you rename all the level files manually? Don't do that. Use GeomAdd to rename levels.
LtSten
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by LtSten »

If you're throwing out 37 experimental levels a minute, you may wish to collate them all into one single thread.. ;)
I'll check if this works..

..managed to open it in TresEd, anyway, not got the time to do it ingame yet. I would say that you're shoving way too many dinosaurs into such a small space. Never a good idea. :P Also, the raptors look like they're half-in the terrain, and one's underneath it completely. Uh, neither the house nor the satellite dish appear to have any physics objects at all and the VH trigger looks way too small. ;)

..aaand the level looks impossible, as there's only an AK47 to kill a t-rex worth of health. :P (Alright, not quite) And youc an also see out from the generator building, in TresEd at least. :P Along with the almost buried basketball.. With those raptors, seriously high poly count on the screen at once, never a good idea.

It, uh, needs work. :| But it's all a learning process, so as long as you learn from what you've done, it's all good. :)
Bringing TPA CRCs up the well, amongst other file format adventures.
Blender 3.0 TPM Plugin [Project GitHub]
DeadEye
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by DeadEye »

LtSten wrote:If you're throwing out 37 experimental levels a minute, you may wish to collate them all into one single thread.. ;)
I'll check if this works..

..managed to open it in TresEd, anyway, not got the time to do it ingame yet. I would say that you're shoving way too many dinosaurs into such a small space. Never a good idea. :P Also, the raptors look like they're half-in the terrain, and one's underneath it completely. Uh, neither the house nor the satellite dish appear to have any physics objects at all and the VH trigger looks way too small. ;)

..aaand the level looks impossible, as there's only an AK47 to kill a t-rex worth of health. :P (Alright, not quite) And youc an also see out from the generator building, in TresEd at least. :P Along with the almost buried basketball.. With those raptors, seriously high poly count on the screen at once, never a good idea.

It, uh, needs work. :| But it's all a learning process, so as long as you learn from what you've done, it's all good. :)
For some reason, the terrain flattened itself after I made the final save and, my God in heaven, renamed it manually. :oops:
~Hobbes

"It does not take the world's most powerful nations to spark the next global conflict. Just the will, of one man."
~Vladimir Makarov
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

DeadEye wrote:the terrain flattened itself after I made the final save
That's because you renamed the terrain file (.WTD) so it can't find it.
Now re-rename your level files back to what they were before, then see if it work before finally using GeomAdd to properly rename the level.
Always test to see if the final product works, sometimes GeomAdd isn't able to rename levels and makes them crash.
To increase your chances of successfully renaming the level, rename it before making changes to it.
DeadEye
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by DeadEye »

Okay, tweaked the level, it should work now. I used it in TresCE, and I recommend using it to play this.
~Hobbes

~Vladimir Makarov
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Nick3069 wrote: To increase your chances of successfully renaming the level, rename it before making changes to it.
Uh huh. When starting to work on a new level, it's best to first decide how it's going to be called and which level you'll use as a starting point, and use GeomAdd to make a renamed copy of that level, then start adding to/editing it.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
LtSten
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by LtSten »

...and make a backup every time you so much as move something. :P

Not quite, but MAKE LOTS OF BACKUPS. Can't stress this enough, it's important.
When you export buildings, you need to export their physics objects as well, under S/I.
DeadEye
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by DeadEye »

LtSten wrote:...and make a backup every time you so much as move something. :P

Not quite, but MAKE LOTS OF BACKUPS. Can't stress this enough, it's important.
When you export buildings, you need to export their physics objects as well, under S/I.
Would you just export those normally?

What's S/I :sick:
~Hobbes

~Vladimir Makarov
LtSten
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by LtSten »

S/I are the buttons in TresEd for physics and invisible objects.. You need the invisible ones, actually. Next to N and C. :P The green red blue and purple coloured ones, or something, I believe. Select them by dragging the mouse over and selecting them all at once, then deselect other stuff which might bork the export. :P

Phsyics objects (S) are normally exported with the model...
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

It's actually a $ ;) We generally assume it stands for "submodel".. though it's often referred to as "subobject". $'s are *usually* the physics which are scripted to be attached to an object, and are generated with its clones, and I's (which TresEd uses to mean "invisible CInstance") are the ones which are not attached, generally not moveable, and must be dragged around in TresEd with the object.
DeadEye
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by DeadEye »

Draconisaurus wrote:It's actually a $ ;) We generally assume it stands for "submodel".. though it's often referred to as "subobject". $'s are *usually* the physics which are scripted to be attached to an object, and are generated with its clones, and I's (which TresEd uses to mean "invisible CInstance") are the ones which are not attached, generally not moveable, and must be dragged around in TresEd with the object.

Hmm... When I was exporting from InGen Town, I noticed there's an AI Box around the houses. What is that?
~Hobbes

~Vladimir Makarov
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

DeadEye wrote:Hmm... When I was exporting from InGen Town, I noticed there's an AI Box around the houses. What is that?
It prevent the dinosaur to walk inside the buildings
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
DeadEye
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by DeadEye »

~~~***UPDATE FOR LO: THE SPIRE***~~~

Finished the first path, the spire, and a few other things. The spire wasn't too hard, just sharply rose the terrain. I still think it adds an element of mystery to the level.
Last edited by DeadEye on Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Hobbes

~Vladimir Makarov
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

Hey, where did you get that avatar picture? That's the one I had before!

Exporting buildings with physic boxes is easy, just turn on [$] and [I] and make a big selection square over the building (preferably from above or under) before exporting.