Culling distances

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Culling distances

Post by Teromen »

Does anyone know how to enable culling on custom maps designed for CE without having to change CE settings? I try this code for instance.
group $VBilbryShrub~PV11-00 = {
float ext_ImportScale = 1.000000
int ext_GeometryType = 2
string Class = "CInstance"
bool Unlit = true
}

group $VBilbryShrub~PV12-00 = {
int ext_GeometryType = 2
bool Unlit = true
}

group VBilbryShrub-00 = {
int ext_GeometryType = 2
string Detail1 = "$VBilbryShrub~PV11-00"
float A01 = 80.000000
string Detail2 = "$VBilbryShrub~PV12-00"
float A02 = 40.000000
float Culling = 10.000000
float ShadowCulling = 30.000000
}
I change float Culling = 50.000000 to 10.000000 and the plant disapears pretty quickly but the low poly models do not appear in its place...

I need to try this in my update for Limahuli to have a lot of vegetation. Some of the plants disappear at the default settings, too many on screen. I also need to figure out how this works to make custom models's with performance optimization.
The way I figure, CE max's out culling distance for the 3d model and ignores the low poly ones that display at a distance...
I'm using the max settings .ini configuration file.

Any ideas?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Culling distances

Post by machf »

OK, so, while the float Culling and float ShadowCulling parameters specify a distance from the camera in meters, the float A01 and float A02 parameters specify a size (usually along the Z axis, IOW, the height, unless you specify a different axis) on the screen in pixels. The latter has the consequence that the distance at which it has any effect will vary depending on your screen resolution and the object's actual size.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Re: Culling distances

Post by Teromen »

My best guess is CE disables culling when using
trespasser_dx9-hq.ini
. Bummer.

Seems to be this part of the config.
ForceMaxObjectDetail=True
Man, I hate to make the map not work right on max settings... Hmm. Gotta be a work around. Only thing I can think of is using less decorations on screen.

Edit: Ok I disabled that option and the L.O.D. works fine... So I just can't design the map for level of detail optimation when using max settings. Oh well. Compatibility is more important. But I will go ahead add in L.O.D. for people that have slower pc's.

Now to figure out how to increase draw distance of the terrain/level...(new map im working on, not Limahuli update) I want a rather large draw distance to show off the hills in the distance.

Edit: For future reference I copied
Trig_Start-00
from the Test Scene level and edited
float FarClipPlane = 500.000000
to a higher value. This changes the draw distance. I'm still tweaking it for appearance/compromise though.