Help Please - (editing advice/tips, and resourses)

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Brooksy
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Help Please - (editing advice/tips, and resourses)

Post by Brooksy »

Hello forum folk, new person here. I wont bore you with a proper introduction, yet, however I need some help with the following concerns.

Firstly I have the Collectors Edition of the game and not the Original Retail, I am somewhat familiar with TresEd and have followed Draconisaurus' tutorials a few times so I understand the basic noob essentials. However I am having trouble getting Ambient sounds from the .tpa to play within a custom level, I have copied the TScript and Trigger Object across, however I do not believe I need to add 'Vocals' for them to be active in the level, or do I? If so, how exactly could I do this?

My other concerns are of items either not in the Collectors Edition or Retail edition, these are the Trex Tooth and Partial Jaw Bone at or around the start of Jungle Road. I am aware that they are not in the Retail version, and I have seen the Trex Tooth in a video of the PC Prototype version by glitchhunter_09, however I cannot play this (my pc says it cannot install it), and I cannot find it in TresEd either where it should be, or the basement level. If anyone has these items, somewhere, in a darkened folder (haha), can you please upload them to this post, thank you.

The other item I wish to get, it the TScript of the neutral Tribe A Raptor in Industrial Jungle, (It is to the left of the first pond/body of water, up the tree. Shadefyre on youtube has it in his version, video here, at 4.30, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sfgn1czqHsY ) If anyone has it, can you please post the TScript here, thank you.

Almost done, just a few more things.

I wish to edit the Summit level, however I'd prefer to make a new map (because you cannot just rename a level), and merge or copy the Summit level into it, is this possible or will I have to reconstruct the whole level from scratch (map heights, textures, etc)?, I know I can make a copy of the Summit as a back up and edit the retail one, but that seems like a bad idea.

Technical question here;

Is there a trick to getting the Teams TScript to work correctly? I have Raptors and Trex's of different Teams in a custom map, however the Raptors do not attack each other, and only 1 Trex will attack a Raptor and ignore the other Rex who is of a different Team. I know the Trex's in InGen Town will always attack each other and it is not random if they do or not, does it matter if the Trexes are from the same Group (same Trex in the basement)?

Wishful thinking questions;

Has anyone managed to get Anne to have 2 equipment slots so she can carry 3 items at once?

Has anyone managed to get Dinos to interact with the Water Entity so they don't just sink?

Thank you to anyone and everyone who can aid me with these.
Signature? What's that Holly?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Help Please - (editing advice/tips, and resourses)

Post by machf »

This post deserves a long and detailed answer... if I have the time I'll answer each point later (meaning tomorrow, as it's almost 11pm already here).
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I'll answer the last two and let machf take care of the rest as I also have limited time tonight:
Has anyone managed to get Anne to have 2 equipment slots so she can carry 3 items at once?
Yes, it's a base feature of Trespasser CE, actually. You need to have "EnableDualStow=True" in your trespasser.ini, and then you can store a second item while carrying a first one by holding the Rotate Wrist button when you hit the Stow/Retrive button.
Has anyone managed to get Dinos to interact with the Water Entity so they don't just sink?
Somewhat. In some mods, the dinosaurs will drink from water - see JPDS~Streams for some examples, in particular the ankylosaurus at the beginning. However, they still sink under the water. I've never tried putting "bool Floats=true" on a CAnimal before, but that might allow them to swim. Maybe. Otherwise, one method of getting them to actually "swim" would be to put an invisible physics box under the water which the dinosaur can walk on that has the "Water" sound material but is deep enough that the player doesn't walk on it. Of course, they're still going to be walking, though.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

TheIdiot wrote:I'll answer the last two and let machf take care of the rest as I also have limited time tonight:
Tomorrow...
Yes, it's a base feature of Trespasser CE, actually. You need to have "EnableDualStow=True" in your trespasser.ini, and then you can store a second item while carrying a first one by holding the Rotate Wrist button when you hit the Stow/Retrive button.
And sometimes through some weird glitch you would be able to do it in regular Trespasser... but it wouldn't last, of course, as soon as you attempted to swap the weapon currently in your hand with one of the others, you'd go back to the usual 1+1.
Somewhat. In some mods, the dinosaurs will drink from water - see JPDS~Streams for some examples, in particular the ankylosaurus at the beginning. However, they still sink under the water. I've never tried putting "bool Floats=true" on a CAnimal before,
Oh, but *I* have.
but that might allow them to swim. Maybe.
The problem here is that, in order to propel themselves, dinosaurs need to be in contact with some solid surface. Water isn't, so they just stay there floating on top of it and wriggling around...
Otherwise, one method of getting them to actually "swim" would be to put an invisible physics box under the water which the dinosaur can walk on that has the "Water" sound material but is deep enough that the player doesn't walk on it. Of course, they're still going to be walking, though.
Which is more or less what I've done in a ceertain level which Slugger and I modified and which hasn't been made public yet (but you've already seen it).
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

Hello and welcome to TresCom! It is really good to see new people getting into Trespasser editing :)
Firstly I have the Collectors Edition of the game and not the Original Retail, I am somewhat familiar with TresEd and have followed Draconisaurus' tutorials a few times so I understand the basic noob essentials. However I am having trouble getting Ambient sounds from the .tpa to play within a custom level, I have copied the TScript and Trigger Object across, however I do not believe I need to add 'Vocals' for them to be active in the level, or do I? If so, how exactly could I do this?
The Collectors Edition of the game should be the exact version as the retail one, without any differences. "Vocals" triggers are only needed for Anne and the Dinosaurs (so they make sound), otherwise they are not needed. Best way is to just export and Ambient trigger from another level and into your level.
My other concerns are of items either not in the Collectors Edition or Retail edition, these are the Trex Tooth and Partial Jaw Bone at or around the start of Jungle Road. I am aware that they are not in the Retail version, and I have seen the Trex Tooth in a video of the PC Prototype version by glitchhunter_09, however I cannot play this (my pc says it cannot install it), and I cannot find it in TresEd either where it should be, or the basement level. If anyone has these items, somewhere, in a darkened folder (haha), can you please upload them to this post, thank you.
You should get SWPz (find it in the tool section) and use that to convert the .SPZ to .SWP in your Build 96 Data folder and then delete the .SPZ files. TresEd loads from the SWP files and this way you can load the levels in TresEd (and play them in the retail game).
The other item I wish to get, it the TScript of the neutral Tribe A Raptor in Industrial Jungle, (It is to the left of the first pond/body of water, up the tree. Shadefyre on youtube has it in his version, video here, at 4.30, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sfgn1czqHsY ) If anyone has it, can you please post the TScript here, thank you.
You could just go into IJ and copy the script from it.
I wish to edit the Summit level, however I'd prefer to make a new map (because you cannot just rename a level), and merge or copy the Summit level into it, is this possible or will I have to reconstruct the whole level from scratch (map heights, textures, etc)?, I know I can make a copy of the Summit as a back up and edit the retail one, but that seems like a bad idea.
Use GeomAdd to rename a level properly. Editing retail levels are overall safe :)
Is there a trick to getting the Teams TScript to work correctly? I have Raptors and Trex's of different Teams in a custom map, however the Raptors do not attack each other, and only 1 Trex will attack a Raptor and ignore the other Rex who is of a different Team. I know the Trex's in InGen Town will always attack each other and it is not random if they do or not, does it matter if the Trexes are from the same Group (same Trex in the basement)?
This should be related to the "int Team" script. In Town when the Para is dead, there is a script to check if the Para is dead and if it is true, it will change the Team script on the T-Rexes to become different teams.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

OK, since tatu just answered most of your other qustions, I'll just focus on this one:
Brooksy wrote: Technical question here;

In addition to what has already been said, you have to take into account this:

viewtopic.php?p=97187#p97187

If a dinosaur doesn't have the "int AIType", "float AIMass" and "float Danger" values in the t-scripts from its physics boxes, the other dinosaurs will ignore it, regardless of the "int Team" values.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Ah machf, I had forgotten about those details, thanks..

...Welcome, to Jurassipasser. 8)

I echo Tatu's sentiment; it's good to see new members about. Can't help but feel Klayton's videos are assisting with this.

Do speak up with ongoing problems as you need help with them!
Brooksy
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Brooksy »

Thank you everyone for the replies, they have been most helpful and I wasn't expecting such quick and detailed replies so I am pleasantly surprised :)
machf wrote:OK, since tatu just answered most of your other qustions, I'll just focus on this one:
Brooksy wrote: Technical question here;

In addition to what has already been said, you have to take into account this:

viewtopic.php?p=97187#p97187

If a dinosaur doesn't have the "int AIType", "float AIMass" and "float Danger" values in the t-scripts from its physics boxes, the other dinosaurs will ignore it, regardless of the "int Team" values.
Thank you machf! the "int AIType" was missing from the TScript, not sure how but it works now :mrgreen:
tatu wrote:Hello and welcome to TresCom! It is really good to see new people getting into Trespasser editing :)
The Collectors Edition of the game should be the exact version as the retail one, without any differences. "Vocals" triggers are only needed for Anne and the Dinosaurs (so they make sound), otherwise they are not needed. Best way is to just export and Ambient trigger from another level and into your level.
You should get SWPz (find it in the tool section) and use that to convert the .SPZ to .SWP in your Build 96 Data folder and then delete the .SPZ files. TresEd loads from the SWP files and this way you can load the levels in TresEd (and play them in the retail game).
You could just go into IJ and copy the script from it.
Use GeomAdd to rename a level properly. Editing retail levels are overall safe :)
This should be related to the "int Team" script. In Town when the Para is dead, there is a script to check if the Para is dead and if it is true, it will change the Team script on the T-Rexes to become different teams.
Thanks tatu! The level rename worked and so far the level works too (hard restart upon death is still an issue but thats a minor issue and I believe its fixed when run with Trespasser Twilight, although I am yet to check). I should have mentioned that by Collectors Edition vs Original Retail, I meant pre-Patch 1.1 and post-Patch 1.1, however I found a changle log/notes on the patch and the Raptor is not mentioned so I'm guessing Shadefyre must have added it or something, not a problem as I just wanted it for a point of reference.
TheIdiot wrote:I'll answer the last two and let machf take care of the rest as I also have limited time tonight:
Somewhat. In some mods, the dinosaurs will drink from water - see JPDS~Streams for some examples, in particular the ankylosaurus at the beginning. However, they still sink under the water. I've never tried putting "bool Floats=true" on a CAnimal before, but that might allow them to swim. Maybe. Otherwise, one method of getting them to actually "swim" would be to put an invisible physics box under the water which the dinosaur can walk on that has the "Water" sound material but is deep enough that the player doesn't walk on it. Of course, they're still going to be walking, though.
Thank you TheIdiot! :) I have tried to install Trespasser CE, however it crashes on start up, I had a look through the forums and found that some other people had the same issue and it was down to the fact that they had an Intel integrated/mobile graphics card which I also have. I am in the middle of building my own PC so in the next few months I should be able to run it :mrgreen: as for the water, I wont bother as you wont be able to out swim a running dino, thank you though :)

Thank you again to all those you have helped, Draconisaurus, thank you again for your tutorial videos, they have helped me greatly.

My only question at this point in time is, how can I extend the time a Dino is Tranquilized for? I know how to increase the TranqDamage so it takes less shots to Tranquilize a larger Dino, but I would like to extend the time from 30secs (or whatever it is) to say 1min.

Thank you again to all, and yes Draconisaurus, I have been watching Klayton's videos recently, although he clings to the film cannon desperately haha :)

Edit: My edited level isn't large so I should have it finished soon, I am currently in the middle of moving house so I'll get to it when I can, about to hit TresEd now :mrgreen:
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Brooksy wrote:Thank you everyone for the replies, they have been most helpful and I wasn't expecting such quick and detailed replies so I am pleasantly surprised :)
machf wrote: If a dinosaur doesn't have the "int AIType", "float AIMass" and "float Danger" values in the t-scripts from its physics boxes, the other dinosaurs will ignore it, regardless of the "int Team" values.
Thank you machf! the "int AIType" was missing from the TScript, not sure how but it works now :mrgreen:
You're welcome.
Depending on which dinosaur you copied the script from, it may be missing.
tatu wrote:Hello and welcome to TresCom! It is really good to see new people getting into Trespasser editing :)
Thanks tatu! The level rename worked and so far the level works too (hard restart upon death is still an issue but thats a minor issue and I believe its fixed when run with Trespasser Twilight, although I am yet to check).
That can be solved by loading the level in the CE version of GUIapp, generating new SCN partitions, and saving a new SCN file.
I should have mentioned that by Collectors Edition vs Original Retail, I meant pre-Patch 1.1 and post-Patch 1.1,
The Collectors Edition comes already patched to v.117 instead of v.116? Interesting. That puts it on the same level as the non-English language versions, I guess...
however I found a changle log/notes on the patch and the Raptor is not mentioned so I'm guessing Shadefyre must have added it or something, not a problem as I just wanted it for a point of reference.

Thank you TheIdiot! :) I have tried to install Trespasser CE, however it crashes on start up, I had a look through the forums and found that some other people had the same issue and it was down to the fact that they had an Intel integrated/mobile graphics card which I also have. I am in the middle of building my own PC so in the next few months I should be able to run it :mrgreen:
Hmmm, CE should still work, even with an integrated graphics card... just make sure you detect the graphics card in the setup first, before copying the CE files to your Trespasser folder.
as for the water, I wont bother as you wont be able to out swim a running dino, thank you though :)

Thank you again to all those you have helped, Draconisaurus, thank you again for your tutorial videos, they have helped me greatly.

My only question at this point in time is, how can I extend the time a Dino is Tranquilized for? I know how to increase the TranqDamage so it takes less shots to Tranquilize a larger Dino, but I would like to extend the time from 30secs (or whatever it is) to say 1min.
Hmmm... I'm not sure as I haven't tried it. But maybe changing the regeneration rate?
Thank you again to all, and yes Draconisaurus, I have been watching Klayton's videos recently, although he clings to the film cannon desperately haha :)

Edit: My edited level isn't large so I should have it finished soon, I am currently in the middle of moving house so I'll get to it when I can, about to hit TresEd now :mrgreen:
We'll be waiting...
Brooksy
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Brooksy »

Thanks machf, I'll try CE once I'm finished the level, I would like to make sure it works with the retail version as to make it easier to play for others.

The Tranquilized Dinos stay tranquilized long enough for the level too, so I wont need to extend the time.

My only problem at this point in development is with re-scaling and importing. It seems that if I re-scale a dino in retail, it re-scales the hit boxes (great, easy), however I export it to a separate folder, as textures wont overwrite. The problem being is later importing them, because the Meshes (.Mat) are the same, I renamed the dino and .tpm, and I tried renaming the textures in the .tpm folder, but this doesn't work. I have no idea where the real names for the meshes/.mat's are and how to change them in the .tpm and the mesh files them selves. Anyone know how to do this?? (I know where the mesh names are in the values and .tpm)

It would be most helpful as if I wanted to add 2 Tribe C raptors, but give one 100 hit points and the other, say, 125hit points, as you cant change one of the clones without changing the rest of them. Should I try the Dino Creator tool for this?

Thank you again to all :)
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Brooksy wrote:Thanks machf, I'll try CE once I'm finished the level, I would like to make sure it works with the retail version as to make it easier to play for others.
If you use the GUIapp from an old version of Tres CE (like 1.0.130, I think), it will still be compatible with regular Trespasser, it's the latest ones, like 107 (1.0.131) which aren't compatible anymore.
The Tranquilized Dinos stay tranquilized long enough for the level too, so I wont need to extend the time.

My only problem at this point in development is with re-scaling and importing. It seems that if I re-scale a dino in retail, it re-scales the hit boxes (great, easy), however I export it to a separate folder, as textures wont overwrite. The problem being is later importing them, because the Meshes (.Mat) are the same, I renamed the dino and .tpm, and I tried renaming the textures in the .tpm folder, but this doesn't work. I have no idea where the real names for the meshes/.mat's are and how to change them in the .tpm and the mesh files them selves. Anyone know how to do this?? (I know where the mesh names are in the values and .tpm)
OK, I'm lost here. What are those .mat files? Exporting a mesh from TresEd should only give you a .tpm file (the mesh data) and a .values.txt file (the t-scripts for the mesh).
It would be most helpful as if I wanted to add 2 Tribe C raptors, but give one 100 hit points and the other, say, 125hit points, as you cant change one of the clones without changing the rest of them. Should I try the Dino Creator tool for this?
This is tricky. You need to have a "basement" dinosaur first (imported from another level), which has only the basic t-scripts and has the physics boxes. Maybe call it just "RaptorC".
Then you need to add a couple dinosaurs with no bones, no physics boxes, just the meshes, each with its unique name and its "-00" number at the end (like "RaptorC1-00" and "RaptorC2-00"), and give those the proper individual t-scripts you want, placing them where you want them to be.
Then, after you've done that, add to those two raptors the "string Physics = " and "string Mesh =" values in their t-scripts, which in our example would be something like:

Code: Select all

string Physics = "RaptorC"
string Mesh = "RaptorC"
NOTE: after adding those lines, the physics boxes that were originally assigned to "RaptorC" will be moving together with whichever of the other raptors you edited last, and then won't be aligned with the "RaptorC" mesh anymore, so it's a good idea to go and edit the t-script for "RaptorC" immediately after each time you edit the t-scripts from one of the other meshes that point to it as a reference for its physics or mesh,that way they will be re-associated with "RaptorC" instead...

NOTE 2: In theory, when placing the other two raptors that will be usig both the physics and mesh from the one in the basement ("RaptorC " in our example), you don't need their meshes to be the same as the one in the basement, they could be even simple cubes with those names and t-scripts. Once you give them the "string Mesh = " t-script, they will be displayed as raptors... (well, in theory - I haven't seen a real example using just a plain cube for a mesh, but there are several ones using dinosaur meshes different from the displayed one)
Thank you again to all :)
You're welcome!
Brooksy
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Brooksy »

Thanks machf!

I found a work around the scaling problem haha :)

I am close to being done with the alpha version of this edited map, however I have encountered a new problem :cry: Its these damn blue textures. I imported the toxic rifle from Assent 1 and the Tranq from Jungle Road, I did not overwrite the textures when asked and they worked fine. I imported the Barrett .50 Cal mounted sniper from Jungle Road and it gave me a message saying it was 24bit RGB or something (colour) and they all worked fine in the level, no problems, no blue textures, all fine and working. However I then imported Nedry's Mace. This I also didn't 'Replace' the textures, loaded the level in TresEd and the Barrett and Mace were both blue. Damn! So I retrieved my back up of the level, no weapons in it, and decided to just import the first 3 weapons and ignore the mace in this alpha version. The problem now being is, if I import just ONE of those first 3 weapons, they get the blue textures, I imported it the same as before, however the blue texture is persistent and wont work the way it did the first time. Please, please help. I have noticed the Hunting Rifle in Jungle Road is also blue, and the clones of it are too. I hope its a relatively simple fix as I spent much time cloning and moving the weapons before the Mace and Barrett went blue and I can't just remove them from the level.

I will search around for an answer on the forums, but if anyone could explain how best to avoid this or fix it, I would be greatly appreciated. Thank you again machf :)
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

What you should do to prevent that is check the "Convert texture names to from..." box in GeomAdd a the time of import, and in the .tpm file (before importing) do a global search and replace from "Map/OriginalLevelName/" to "" (empty). If you don't, the mesh will have textures with the old name (and since you imported them from Jungle Road they will be of the form "Map/JR/TextureName", and since the ones you imported with the mesh are now called "Map/YourNewLevelName/TextureName" instead (after you made a renamed copy ot the Summit level to work on), it won't find them...

So, now you only need to do the search and replace and once again reimport the mesh without replacing any textures...

One of the things TresEd is lacking is an option to remove the "Map/LevelName/" part in the texture names when exporting a mesh to a .tpm file. Actually, it should ALWAYS remove it and GeomAdd should ALWAYS convert the texture name to "Map/NewLevelName/" form, but at the time those programs were written, they didn't realize it was an actual requirement for levels to work properly according to the "rules"...
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Looking forward to seeing your mod released 8)