Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

ASA Animation Particulars

Post by Draconisaurus »

So my youtube show makes intense use of ASA animation files. Been succeeding quite a bit; however, I have gotten to the point where I must animate the camera. Both TC~Isle and TC~Rescue do it successfully. However. I have noticed that when an ASA file is loaded with a level (even before activation by any triggers), listed objects will be placed at their Frame 0 locations. Sometimes they will "blip" in and out of those locations as you move around. The blipping isn't an issue in my case but in my current level, I have it set up so that you walk into a CLocationTrigger to activate an ASA which moves the camera and other objects... The level begins with you looking through the camera position of Frame 0, and you are stuck there. GUIApp does it too (which, btw, has proven to be more stable with ASA animation than regular CE). Looking at working examples from other levels has yet to yield a solution. Any ideas?

EDIT: Eh, I figured it out... Seems Rebel put the start frame at 0.1 instead of 0. Extremely clever, it seems to destroy the issue of intial camera pop at frame 0. Thanks! :mgreen:

EDIT: So there's another issue. The camera print animation info seems to be corrupted somehow. Discovered this basic formula, will have to work around it:

CAMERA ERROR
*TresEd > Ingame
~face pos X = face neg X
~face pos Y = face pos Y
~face neg X = face pos X
~face neg Y = face neg Y
~face neg Z = face pos Z
~face pos Z = face neg Z

All directional facings are reversed with the exception of the Y axis (pos Y happens to be the direction the Player faces). Not sure how this error developed. Thinking I will use a marked cube in TresEd for reference as I animate.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: ASA Animation Particulars

Post by TheIdiot »

If you're going to be animating the camera, your best bet is to just use a cube as your indication of where the camera will be facing, as you thought. You can also just animate the Player itself as well, which allows the person playing the game to also be able to look around during the animation. The blipping also doesn't occur - from what I found at least - when you animate the Player rather than the camera. Plus in that case you can just move the Player model around. :)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: ASA Animation Particulars

Post by Draconisaurus »

Figured it out. Made an object for in-TresEd reference to indicate the error direction; I position it with CTRL+W when I have my angle, then use reverse relative angles eyeball-wise by looking at the object.
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Colors are as in TresEd; white = positive, black = negative.