Got my map playable. Here is a demo fo those interested.

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Got my map playable. Here is a demo fo those interested.

Post by Teromen »

I had to include the swap file... Otherwise the palette don't work right. Must have done something wrong. Anyone know how to fix that?

I only used assets from game levels. Do I need to go into paint shop and make all of the textures share the same palette? What a pain.

Hope you guys and gals enjoy the level. Tips: Look for weapons. Headshots are a must.
Attachments
TPass001.jpg
TPass001.jpg (86.74 KiB) Viewed 4235 times
TeroJungle1.zip
(4.45 MiB) Downloaded 393 times
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: Got my map playable. Here is a demo fo those interested.

Post by TheIdiot »

Nice! Congratulations on your first level. I looked at it quickly in TresEd, here are a couple of things I noticed:

- There is a Raptor mostly underground, "RaptorA-07". I don't think this will cause any major problems, but when it spawns in, it will probably "jump" or "fly" into the air for a few seconds.

- Your terrain is exceptionally high-poly. While it does look very nice, you should consider optimizing it as much as possible. Areas the player cannot get to should be less detailed and lower-poly than areas you will be exploring, and flat areas should also be reduced in poly-count. Too much detail in the terrain can crash the game quite easily, and will make it very unstable when spawning in, looking around, or simply travelling.

- It seems you didn't export the physics for the shack. You have to turn on "Invisible Instances" in TresEd in order to see them, and then export the appropriate physics boxes as well with the shack. And make sure you're moving them along with the object when you place it, and copying a fresh set of physics boxes when you clone the object! For objects where the physics are attached via T-Script (physics in this case are visible in "$ Object" mode in TresEd), you only need to move the object and not the physics, and do not need to copy the physics when duplicating the object.

I know it's a simple test level, but good work so far! Make sure in future levels that you're using lots of variety in the TrnObjs, as well as different flora and fauna, as right now everything is rather empty (again, it's a test, so no worries). I'm excited to see what other levels you have coming our way. :)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: Got my map playable. Here is a demo fo those interested.

Post by Draconisaurus »

Well done! TI has points about the terrain but I just wanted to say, I love it. Nice to see terrain which is not super-blocky and obviously not real/organic. While keeping terrain poly down is a good idea in many cases, high detail also has its advantages. The super detail in out-of-gameplay areas didn't effect this level since it's so small and undetailed but that could easily haunt you in other levels.

Small note... TI, not sure why you suggest low terrain poly for flat areas. The typical Tres-modder struggle in my experience is to keep flat terrain poly high, since entirely flat areas will auto-combine, having the effect of terrain texture resolution reduction. Will say that Tres CE seems to suffer far less from low terrain texture detail and I'm still getting a feel for how far this goes..

Tero, one of your modding advantages here seems to be the insistence on terrain creation method, which as it turns out looks great! Keep it up, can't wait to see more of that.