Point me in the right direction.

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: Point me in the right direction.

Post by TheIdiot »

Also, a lesson from my massive JPDS project - don't make an area with such a large size that it will take forever to finish, if you are new to Tres modding.
Ditto from the creator of RTJP. Start small, maybe in a TC~Isle-sized level, and then work up from there.

Also, that heightmap is going to be extremely high-poly once converted to Tres, probably to the point that the engine will crash unless you do some serious optimization. You might want to turn the detail down a couple of notches before converting. Even my 4096x heightmap for RTJP which was heavily optimized several times has crashing problems, which forces you to spend time-consuming periods manually lowering the terrain polycount. If you only use a small amount of that heightmap's area, you can probably get around this by making distant areas low-detail as opposed to higher-detail ones for upclose terrain features - again, see Trespasser for this. Good examples are the streambed and rock steps in IJ, though the rock steps are extremely unoptimized.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

TheIdiot wrote:You might want to turn the detail down a couple of notches before converting. Even my 4096x heightmap for RTJP which was heavily optimized several times has crashing problems, which forces you to spend time-consuming periods manually lowering the terrain polycount.
I discovered a little trick, here - reduce the size of the BMP grayscale image by half or less prior to import; the same shape and size can be accomplished and it will automatically be selected and displayed for y--- I mean, automatically less detail. 8)
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I discovered a little trick, here - reduce the size of the BMP grayscale image by half or less prior to import; the same shape and size can be accomplished and it will automatically be selected and displayed for y--- I mean, automatically less detail. 8)
Ah, but you might lose some of the more fine details in the process, such as roads or ledges. You're probably best to manually fix it up yourself unless you plan on adding details later.
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

I noticed when I exported a terrain they are very blurry outside of the playing space to save on polygon counts. I can blur the terrain bmp in UDK to emulate that.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Might work... That blurriness might also only create low-detail if the ingame result is one of a number of specific angles. Would have to test.
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

Right now my problem is that imported terrain is flat. Must be a format setting. Checking the forum history.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Sounds like you need to enter a higher height offset when importing from BMP. Also the grayscale image needs a specific format - export the terrain of any existing level as BMP to find the correct one. Easiest thing to do then is to paste the new image into the exported one and go from there.
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

I thought maybe the palette had to match but i tried that, and an import scale of 1024 and the terrain is still flat. I'm betting its something simple like my terrain is too detailed so im gonna try a real simple one.

EDIT: Tried a real simple heightmap with the matching palette loaded into the image in psp. No go, still flat. I can't do much with Tresed till I figure this out.

Just a tidbit. Been playing with the road tool in Crytek. It's pretty cool, much better than the ue4 one. Imported it into a ut2004 Jurassic Rage map and looks good. The tools could be usefull for Trespasser editing as they edit heightmaps and there are ways to convert the files. You guys can test that map when it's done if you want. Im going with a Nublar theme... Don't expect too much out of ut2004 though. There is the same mod for UT3 so a port is possible. There is a trex in the ut3 mod...
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

Ok I got it working, had to try some random numbers for a while to figure it out. Now im on my way to my first map... Yee hah. hehe