Trespasser VR Unity Prototype

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Shep
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Re: Trespasser VR Unity Prototype

Post by Shep »

I doubt it's possible even more now that I revisit it, but I meant if there was a way to load the grf files (or whatever format holds position data, it has been a while) into like 3ds max or unreal engine or something, so you have all the models imported with textures and stuff, and they are already positioned into how the level should be, and all you would need more of was an engine and surely some modifications on the coding for ai and physics. I say this because I was playing around with unreal engine and it had preset levels with physics already done and it was vr so the controls were already set, and all I really needed to do was import some models and add some hitboxes and what not. of course saying that If all I want to do is walk around in a trespasser level.

er, this is what I'm, talking about: [youtube]https://youtu.be/1PTTuZ_F8Nk?t=5m21s[/youtube]
Draco: I have seen some completed work, such as a remake of the town and the lab as Far Cry 3 custom maps using the game's built-in editor. They were actually really nice but I never played them with other people... GODDAMNIT, I MISS THIS HACKER CRAP!
Oooo, that reminds me, a long time ago I played far cry 2 on ps3, and I made a jurassic park map and always used it when I hosted a multiplayer server. Then I would see on youtube all these good jurassic park recreations, but sadly they were on different systems so I couldn't get them. But I did find one map which was "the lost world" and was really good and fun to play with multiplayer. It had the town seen in the movie on one side and the high hide with the rv that's halfway hanging off the cliff on the other.

Hmmm, speaking of recreations, did I or anyone here ever mention this huge jurassic park recreation on minecraft? It was really detailed and big, like it took a while to even fly down the main road. All this talk makes me want to look into making a somewhat trespasser/ jurassic park based minecraft map on my server again.

Edit: the jp map was mentioned on the forums a few years back... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujxYuwArj8U&
Oh, a Raptor got 'em!

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Shep wrote:I doubt it's possible even more now that I revisit it, but I meant if there was a way to load the grf files (or whatever format holds position data, it has been a while) into like 3ds max or unreal engine or something, so you have all the models imported with textures and stuff, and they are already positioned into how the level should be, and all you would need more of was an engine and surely some modifications on the coding for ai and physics. I say this because I was playing around with unreal engine and it had preset levels with physics already done and it was vr so the controls were already set, and all I really needed to do was import some models and add some hitboxes and what not. of course saying that If all I want to do is walk around in a trespasser level.
Well it's definitely more complicated than picking up a Trespasser level file and sticking it in another engine. Projects to move Tres materials into other engines always take time and have yet to be 100% completed. It involves taking models out one at a time, making textures work, and who knows what else.
Oooo, that reminds me, a long time ago I played far cry 2 on ps3, and I made a jurassic park map and always used it when I hosted a multiplayer server. Then I would see on youtube all these good jurassic park recreations, but sadly they were on different systems so I couldn't get them. But I did find one map which was "the lost world" and was really good and fun to play with multiplayer. It had the town seen in the movie on one side and the high hide with the rv that's halfway hanging off the cliff on the other.
Well shit, seems I missed out on what I was looking for... Wonder if it'll happen some day :|
Hmmm, speaking of recreations, did I or anyone here ever mention this huge jurassic park recreation on minecraft? It was really detailed and big, like it took a while to even fly down the main road. All this talk makes me want to look into making a somewhat trespasser/ jurassic park based minecraft map on my server again.

Edit: the jp map was mentioned on the forums a few years back... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujxYuwArj8U&
I have the impression that that dude's Nublar recreation is quite famous, yes.
Shep
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Shep »

Well it's definitely more complicated than picking up a Trespasser level file and sticking it in another engine. Projects to move Tres materials into other engines always take time and have yet to be 100% completed. It involves taking models out one at a time, making textures work, and who knows what else.
Thought so. Would be nice if there was just a port to another level creating program though, but I guess that's just not how game development works. :/
I have the impression that that dude's Nublar recreation is quite famous, yes.
I'd say the same, lol. I played the level a long time ago, back before it was even finished I think, and it was pretty cool. Had an abandoned lab area in the bottom of the visitor center and had the big bird cage thingy and all that. Don't know if you played it before or if you even had minecraft, but if you have the time, it'd be cool to check out.
Oh, a Raptor got 'em!

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I'm sure it is cool... However, despite liking Legos, the idea of massive worlds where every single thing is made up of infinite colored blocks just doesn't appeal to me. I am glad though that it's inspired people out there to spend hours with 3D digital world creation, who otherwise wouldn't end up doing so..
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I'm with Draco on this one - sure, it's a 1:1 scale Nublar, which is neat, but...why Minecraft? Isn't there a slightly less...blocky engine to do this with? I guess in Minecraft you are spared the entire process of making assets (models, textures, scripts), which makes things a bit easier.

I also happen to have played that particular level - or at least a demo version of it - a long time ago during a brief stint in Minecraft, and being a detail stickler, couldn't help but notice a lot of mistakes and things that aren't accurate. The biggest and most glaring error was that the island was NOT 1:1 scale, it was probably more like 3:2 scale, so everything was somewhat larger than it should have been. Although there were some details of the VC layout in that mod that I preferred to hppav's (even though I think hppav's is more accurate)... :P

I respect Minecraft design and all, but personally I'd prefer to have a proper, realistic Nublar first and a Minecraft recreation second.
Shep
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Shep »

I'm with Draco on this one - sure, it's a 1:1 scale Nublar, which is neat, but...why Minecraft? Isn't there a slightly less...blocky engine to do this with? I guess in Minecraft you are spared the entire process of making assets (models, textures, scripts), which makes things a bit easier.

I also happen to have played that particular level - or at least a demo version of it - a long time ago during a brief stint in Minecraft, and being a detail stickler, couldn't help but notice a lot of mistakes and things that aren't accurate. The biggest and most glaring error was that the island was NOT 1:1 scale, it was probably more like 3:2 scale, so everything was somewhat larger than it should have been. Although there were some details of the VC layout in that mod that I preferred to hppav's (even though I think hppav's is more accurate)... :P

I respect Minecraft design and all, but personally I'd prefer to have a proper, realistic Nublar first and a Minecraft recreation second.
Well, Minecraft is good for someone that doesn't know how to 3d model but can make something creative and good with the game's engine. I played it because you could build whatever you want (limited by the blocks though) and have someone else be there building right next to you. And having a recreation of a city or something would be fun because people could make bases or edit certain areas. If there was a game that supported multiplayer, allowed level creation with any model you give it, and had good physics, i'd play that.
There probably is a game like that but I don't know any. Er, oh wait, isn't that gmod? Well, a gmod with vr would suit me.
Oh, a Raptor got 'em!

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Multiplayer ingame world creation? That does sound nice..
Shep
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Shep »

Yeah, the main reason I used to play it was the fun multiplayer. Recently I just went back to open rollercoaster tycoon, but usually I just watch others build. If you don't know what it is...

Just an old themepark creating game modded with multiplayer.
Oh, a Raptor got 'em!

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Bleh, standard themepark creation sounds a tad boring to me... Unless it's got dinosaurs. Most simulation games are boring for me... Unless it's SIMs Castaway, because it's a tropical island with ruins... >.>
Shep
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Shep »

Yeah, it has the scenery and land editing for a jungle and dinosaurs, but the dinosaurs are just scenery and the only actual ai is the people.
Oh, a Raptor got 'em!

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Yeah, the main reason I used to play it was the fun multiplayer. Recently I just went back to open rollercoaster tycoon, but usually I just watch others build. If you don't know what it is...
Do you play any OpenRCT2 at all? I've always wanted to try the multiplayer in it but can't figure out how to start up a server.
Draconisaurus wrote:Bleh, standard themepark creation sounds a tad boring to me... Unless it's got dinosaurs. Most simulation games are boring for me... Unless it's SIMs Castaway, because it's a tropical island with ruins... >.>
RCT2 is probably the only Tycoon game I find fun gameplay-wise, because there is so much to do and customize, and the gameplay and challenge is really good in it (often in scenarios, you cut it very close to your timed goal). Other Tycoon games that followed in its wake, including the other RCT games and Planet Coaster, always failed in the challenge aspect. If the dinosaurs actually had AI, I'd say you could certainly make a better Jurassic Park in RCT2 than you could in the very limited JPOG. People have made JP-themed parks despite the lack or real dinosaurs anyway:
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Shep
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Shep »

(This conversation is completely off topic :lol: )
Do you play any OpenRCT2 at all? I've always wanted to try the multiplayer in it but can't figure out how to start up a server.
Well hell i'm on it just about every day, mostly hosting my server. Servers name is "A cute and awesome shep style server" which can be found at the top of the list. When starting a server you should make sure you are using the latest build if you want anyone to join.

As for starting a server, my router is easy to port forward so for me I just go into file explorer and down to network and right click on my router and open another window and click add and type any name I want, then the ip address of my computer, like 192.168.1.13 then in the ports I put 25565 in both rows and click tcp. MAKE SURE IT IS TCP.
Now that option may not be enabled for you, that's where my old trusty pal portmapper comes in, which I used back on my xp pro x64 os because it didn't have the router settings thing. Haven't used it in a while but i'll look back on it and refresh some memory.
Here we are for download: https://sourceforge.net/projects/upnp-portmapper/

Now you click connect, click create, write any name for description, then click add near the ports, make sure it's tcp, change both ports to 25565 or any 5 digit number, then hit save.

ER, it's not working exactly as smooth, but maybe this will help you. Basically when you start a rct server make sure whatever port you are using is the same as the others you set. and make sure you checked the advertise box if you are planning for anyone to join.
RCT2 is probably the only Tycoon game I find fun gameplay-wise, because there is so much to do and customize, and the gameplay and challenge is really good in it (often in scenarios, you cut it very close to your timed goal). Other Tycoon games that followed in its wake, including the other RCT games and Planet Coaster, always failed in the challenge aspect. If the dinosaurs actually had AI, I'd say you could certainly make a better Jurassic Park in RCT2 than you could in the very limited JPOG. People have made JP-themed parks despite the lack or real dinosaurs anyway:
rct is pure nostalgia for me, played it since I was little. But I played the original rct and skipped two and went to rct3 platinum, but openrct2 does now have backwards compatibility with all the classic rct1 saves.
Heh, animals in rct2, so far even the guest ai isn't working fully. This would turn out like a trespasser mess. :P Actually, having a jpog mod for rct would be pretty amazing actually. If the devs did tackle this in the form of an animal ai script that's easily modded then I think it would get a positive review. But I think the main goal they have right now is making the game fully c++ which would enable them to add android support and unlock map size and whatnot.
i'm rambling on, but one last thing, have you seen this beta of advanced rendering? it runs slow even on a high end computer and the last version is outdated compared to latest builds.

Here's a video though: https://youtu.be/bJxlCxnmRiU?t=5m32s

That visitor center though, what a beauty.
Oh, a Raptor got 'em!

s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

I don’t have much time for Trespasser things lately, but this is fucking cool!

Hope this continues to be worked on!
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

s13n1... I just checked the flickr account linked in your sig and DAMN! I have almost no memory of this mod and it looks fraking amazing!! How close to completion was it and what caused you to abandon the project?

I wish to point out for others that the images there feature some Tres concept art on page 5 which I have NEVER seen, as well as this image:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/trespassi ... 478347128/

I had no idea we had a photo of the dev's clay terrain modeling! :o
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Hey Drac,

Theres a 50-60 page thread about the project on this forum. I stopped posting here and mainly just focused on posts on the wordpress project page.

I didnt really stop, but ive had a lot of stops and starts over the years with different engines, because im not a programmer and have tried to use whats best for me to maximize productivity.

Productivity is kinda non existent lately because i had a baby 3 months ago and he occupies most of my free time. When i do get enough time to spare, its not the kind of time i'd like to sit down and really get work done on it. To be honest, i'd rather spend that time playing a game or using my 3D printer.

The clay model picture was found after some pretty long and intense image searching. Using the WayBackMachine internet archive and just relentlessly searching for anything Trespasser related.

I've managed to track down and buy a lot of the old game mags that have those really big features on Trespasser, its both amazing and sad to read them.