Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: TRR exporter and TRI importer MAXscripts

Post by machf »

Draconisaurus wrote:
machf wrote:remember, TresEd doesn't save proper WTD files.
Even when they are modified/resaved retail WTDs?...
I'm not quite sure since we don't have TresEd's source code... but it definitely doesn't save .WTD files in the (100%) proper format. Remember, back then, we were all guessing how it was done, basically attempting to reverse engineer the formats, and one or two things may have been wrong. But they were enough to generate the sort of errors we know.
tatu wrote:So this method is only good for retail WTD's then I guess, not fan made ones. Or unedit GUIApp WTD generated ones.
Maybe at the time I wrote the first post on this topic I should have been more careful... but it was quite a long time after I first wrote those scripts, and I didn't remember too well what it was like with GUIapp. It's better to use a terrain TRI file instead of a TPM one to import Trespasser terrains into MAX whenever possible, but when you have a user-edited terrain, you may have no other option that to use a TPM one in the first place, and later re-import the terrain into MAX using a TRI file after having fixed it with GUIapp. And maybe it's better to make any further edits to the terrain mesh in MAX to prevent having to repeat the process again.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I've just updated the .TRR exporter script (both the MAX and Gmax versions) to prevent a problem with GUIapp after attempting to generate a .TRI file from a .WTD terrain generated from an exported .TRR file.
trr_export.zip
(1.27 KiB) Downloaded 419 times
trr_export-gmax.zip
(1.12 KiB) Downloaded 423 times
I'm going to upload them to TresCom later...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

What problem was fixed exactly?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Using the previous version of the exporter, you'd generate a .TRR file which GUIapp could then use to create a .WTD file.

BUT! Sometimes when you tried to use GUIapp to convert the resulting .WTD file into a .TRI file, it would crash. That was because the X and Y values should have been rounded but weren't, I guess GUIapp couldn't process a value like 2e-5 (0.00002) where it expected instead to read something like 0.0

Now it's working fine.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Huh. I haven't gotten into TRI files, what do they do
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

TRI are basically the same as the TRR files exported from 3ds Max, but the TRI are exported with GUIApp from .WTD files instead.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

They're not quite the same... .TRI files can be imported back into MAX as they have a triangle list similar to .TPM files, while .TRR files only have a coordinate list for the mesh vertices.

You can make a .TRR file from a .TRI file by stripping the triangle list, but you can't do the opposite.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Assuming 'twas used by the devs to get an accurate terrain mesh into their level scenes. Nice.