Flood control room query

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Flood control room query

Post by MinePass »

So in the flood control room there are these console towers that have a meter at the top. Ive read the 1997 walk through several times but it doesn't provide any insight to whats inside the fenced off area other than the flood control room. The picture with the stegosaurus in it paints a drastically different area from the retail as there is more foliage and the ground seems more level. Two other things to note is the pickup truck and what appears to be a shallow trench that leads from the dam. So this has me wondering what was meant to be back here.

(Theory)
The dam might have been a source of power. In one of Hammond's voice overs he states that the pylons ran east from the power plant, climbed the valley, and descended south into the plains. However they actually go through the IJ3.

So my question is what are these towers and what would they go to?

While i was pulling info I came across this- I had always thought that the device mentioned was the noise box from The Lost World novel and what the workmen carried.

(Anne finds opened security gate, with a box attached to the security monitor
HAMMOND161
Greenwood carried some sort of electronic device, which we are told he built himself, based on plans he found on the Internet.
Attachments
shot7big-2.jpg
shot7big-2.jpg (3.98 KiB) Viewed 14737 times
FloodControl-2.jpg
FloodControl-2.jpg (160.84 KiB) Viewed 14737 times
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: Flood control room query

Post by TheIdiot »

Ive read the 1997 walk through several times but it doesn't provide any insight to whats inside the fenced off area other than the flood control room. The picture with the stegosaurus in it paints a drastically different area from the retail as there is more foliage and the ground seems more level. Two other things to note is the pickup truck and what appears to be a shallow trench that leads from the dam. So this has me wondering what was meant to be back here.
I believe the entire dam area itself was intended to be fenced-off originally, and the door that allowed to to access the dam and proceed forward was only controllable via a radio-controlled device. The device wouldn't work unless you found a battery in the collar of a large albertosaurus out in the plains.
MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

Ok, so I think I got off topic a bit in my post. What I'm asking is, what are these?
Attachments
IMG_20170322_201856.jpg
IMG_20170322_201856.jpg (15.85 KiB) Viewed 14713 times
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

MinePass wrote:Ok, so I think I got off topic a bit in my post. What I'm asking is, what are these?
They look like gauges with control panels below or something. Considering the lever in this building opens the floodgate, they definitely have something to do with the dam. It seems they are meant to monitor the status of the dam itself, maybe showing water levels, pressure, etc.Not to mention that this particular building is known as the Dam Control Building.
MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

Ok, thanks for the help. :)
HaroldRedwood
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by HaroldRedwood »

Interesing theory. Does anyone know if a version has been made which has the battery? It would be nice to see.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

HaroldRedwood wrote:Interesing theory. Does anyone know if a version has been made which has the battery? It would be nice to see.
No, as far as we know there isn't a completed version of the Plains level anywhere that features the battery. There IS a very early 3DS Max scene that contains many of the objects that were meant to be featured in Plains however.
HaroldRedwood
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by HaroldRedwood »

Interesting. Someone might make it sometime.
MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

TheIdiot wrote: There IS a very early 3DS Max scene that contains many of the objects that were meant to be featured in Plains however.
Is this the scene you were talking about?
Attachments
Trespasser_Plains_Object_placement.png
Trespasser_Plains_Object_placement.png (79.2 KiB) Viewed 14649 times
HaroldRedwood
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by HaroldRedwood »

Interesting, the Plains.. Where does the hydro dam go in that scene? If North is upwards, I guess it would go in the northwest corner..
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Yeah, that's the scene. I can't remember where I found it, but someone uploaded the only known level version of PL with a number of objects, but no terrain. Can't remember how accurate to this image that level was though.
HaroldRedwood wrote:Interesting, the Plains.. Where does the hydro dam go in that scene? If North is upwards, I guess it would go in the northwest corner..
Not quite, it looks to me that North is to the left just judging by guesswork. The pink blocks are invisible walls (Bakers), so what it looks like to me is that you would start in the valley on the right, exiting the Town, walk a long distance east to the ocean - which is the top boundary of the level - then turn north through a pass and then enter the Plains themselves, which is the big, open area to the left of the image. In this case, the blue square would be around the area of the Dam itself in retail - it's possible this was intended to be the water that filled up the big reservoir behind the Dam. The invisible walls likely indicate mountains, and rough landforms of these are present in retail IT as well.
Also, you can barely make it out and I might be looking at the wrong thing, but you can see just to the left of the blue axis line where the mountain range in the center turns to the right a small gray building, which in the level is a small blockhouse, mentioned in the walkthrough. This is mentioned to be located in the Plains, adding further proof to my theory.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

That blockhouse is the one from this render:

Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

machf
That's it, yeah.

I'm going to post my next findings under an appropriate Plains thread as I've discovered what seems to be the overall layout of the Plains themselves.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

TheIdiot wrote:Not quite, it looks to me that North is to the left just judging by guesswork. The pink blocks are invisible walls (Bakers), so what it looks like to me is that you would start in the valley on the right, exiting the Town, walk a long distance east to the ocean - which is the top boundary of the level - then turn north through a pass and then enter the Plains themselves, which is the big, open area to the left of the image. In this case, the blue square would be around the area of the Dam itself in retail - it's possible this was intended to be the water that filled up the big reservoir behind the Dam. The invisible walls likely indicate mountains, and rough landforms of these are present in retail IT as well.
Also, you can barely make it out and I might be looking at the wrong thing, but you can see just to the left of the blue axis line where the mountain range in the center turns to the right a small gray building, which in the level is a small blockhouse, mentioned in the walkthrough. This is mentioned to be located in the Plains, adding further proof to my theory.
Actually, the pink blocks are river terrain objects. The greeny square is from what I remember by it's name the player start area. To be honest, all the foliage are placed in various heights so anyone with time and skill could easily recreate parts of the terrain as it seems to have been like the early JR terrain.
I can't remember where I found it, but someone uploaded the only known level version of PL with a number of objects, but no terrain. Can't remember how accurate to this image that level was though.
I wonder who :P But the image is accurate to how the Max file is. The terrain in the max files apparently used some .bmp texture to make the terrain, and no the ones we see in the later JR and IT max files.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Actually, the pink blocks are river terrain objects. The greeny square is from what I remember by it's name the player start area. To be honest, all the foliage are placed in various heights so anyone with time and skill could easily recreate parts of the terrain as it seems to have been like the early JR terrain.
I noticed that when I imported the objects. But the river objects line up perfectly with the mountains, and the image above shows them as being 3D blocks. Is it possible that this image is from ANOTHER version of PL? And yeah, some of the objects actually line up a bit with parts of the IT terrain, but others are just sort of floating at a much higher elevation than most of the island, which seems very strange indeed.
If the green box is indeed the player start area, that means the player did actually leave the Town through the Southern gate, proceed down a long valley to the coast (Wafer Bay, as I recall from the actual Cocos Island terrain), then jump over the cliffs and enter the Plains level. Which means the Plains were even larger than I previously thought...gah!
Still looking into it - I'm currently posting my findings under the Pre-Release thread.