getting BLUE MODELS when importing meshes into retail game

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

fastrunner
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

getting BLUE MODELS when importing meshes into retail game

Post by fastrunner »

*I've been having problems importing objects into the levels of the retail game. They seem to come out "Blue" for some reason. I'm not having this problem when importing into the demo?
But,
I'm also having problems with quality after importing models from tmp format, what format should I export into tpm, 3ds or another method? tpm I can export whole meshes at a time, but seem to lose quality when reinserting into a level. 3ds doesn't have the sub-meshes needed for trespasser what is the best way of importing/exporting if I may ask for a newbie step by step? thanks guys for the help
I'm enjoying the keyboard shortcuts mouse shortcuts ie 1,2,3,4,5,6 with the Left Mouse Button for moving, turning, and rotating models.
Holding the Right Mouse Button to move objects back and forth and Ctrl-Right Mouse Button for up and down helps place objects in a snap.
Also, selecting models and meshes using ctrl-right mouse click is coming in handy selecting multiple meshes at a time and de-selecting the ones i don't want.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: getting BLUE MODELS when importing meshes into retail ga

Post by machf »

fastrunner wrote:*I've been having problems importing objects into the levels of the retail game. They seem to come out "Blue" for some reason. I'm not having this problem when importing into the demo?
You need to use .swp files (decompressing the original .spz files) with the retail version of Trespasser in order for edited levels to work. I'm guessing you haven't deleted the .spz files, do it (or move them elsewhere) and keep the .swp files only. Trespasser/TresEd is reading the textures from the .spz files (which weren't updated when you added new oblects) instead of the .swp files (where GeomAdd has added the textures for the new objects), that's why they appear blue...

EDIT: wow, I just realized that sometime during the past days I went over the 10000-posts-barrier...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

What machf said.

As for models, always use the .TPM format. It does not make the models loose quality or anything. It was made specially for Trespasser. There are several issues when using the .3ds format while exporting (not keeping full texture names etc). Also, things like Dinosaurs doesn't work properly unless exported and imported as .tpm format.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Welcome, to Jurassic World. 8)
machf wrote:EDIT: wow, I just realized that sometime during the past days I went over the 10000-posts-barrier...
:| Congrats!

..I notice your rank now is "T-Rex Killer"..! Is that a custom rank or.?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Draconisaurus wrote:Welcome, to Jurassic World. 8)
machf wrote:EDIT: wow, I just realized that sometime during the past days I went over the 10000-posts-barrier...
:| Congrats!

..I notice your rank now is "T-Rex Killer"..! Is that a custom rank or.?
Nah, it's automatic, apparently. Wait until you reach 10K too...
Makes some sort of sense, after "hunter", "killer"...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

machf wrote:
fastrunner wrote:
EDIT: wow, I just realized that sometime during the past days I went over the 10000-posts-barrier...
IT'S OVER 9000!
But on subject, I had the same problem a long time ago and I felt so stupid once I realized that was why.

Also word of advice: it's not a good idea to edit the retail levels too much. If edited too many times, I've noticed they become unstable and eventually either stop working, or randomly crash for no reason during gameplay.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

machf wrote:Nah, it's automatic, apparently. Wait until you reach 10K too...
Makes some sort of sense, after "hunter", "killer"...
Eh hmm I c. I know you were wondering but jeez! So I guess now we're waiting for, what.. 20,000? XD
tatu

Post by tatu »

glitchhunter09 wrote:
machf wrote:
fastrunner wrote:
IT'S OVER 9000!
But on subject, I had the same problem a long time ago and I felt so stupid once I realized that was why.

Also word of advice: it's not a good idea to edit the retail levels too much. If edited too many times, I've noticed they become unstable and eventually either stop working, or randomly crash for no reason during gameplay.
Editing the retail levels should be just as safe editing a fan level or editing your own level.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

The keywod here is "should". In theory, maybe. In practice, it isn't.
Why? Because (probably, as a consequence of Trespasser's release being rushed) Trespasser retail levels have several errors (it's a small wonder they load), and after a while editing them, they become bad enough that they won't load anymore. That's the reason why GeomAdd and TresEd include in their "recognized keyword" lists also some sort of "ignore these errrors" section too.

The solution? Correct those errors in the retail levels first. After you've done that, it's safe to edit them further. The Lab level is particularly prone to stop loading after being modified.
fastrunner
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by fastrunner »

I really appreciate the help with the BLUE MODEL problem i was having. I managed to figure it out,
I went ahead and swapped out the .spz file from the retail copy of Trespasser that I made from the cd, once extracted in the C:\Program Files (x86)\DreamWorks Interactive\Trespasser\RandomLevel.swp I went ahead and copied it over to my retail copy of Trespasser. Making sure to delete .spz file before transferring it over. I wouldn't have figured this one out without the forum.