Ruins Level (Page 6 Download (final version 01/25/2019)

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Re: Ruins Level

Post by Rebel »

Short on time atm, but did a little further work.

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Nice! :}
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Pretty cool! I really like the look of old Classical structures with arched supports. It'll be really cool to walk under that in the final level. Might we get a chance to climb atop that aqueduct at some point in the level..? Would be an interesting place for a Raptor battle. My only suggestion here would be to change the terrain around a little bit because it's quite obvious (to me at least) that this is the Dam valley from Town - the road on the left is the giveaway. :wink:
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Hi, T.I. The aqueduct is basically meant as eye candy (it does look quite cool in level though). The original model was more elaborate, but it exceeded tres' 2048 poly limit. I've been altering the terrain as I go, so the 'road' is gradually being eliminated. ;) I've been checking out other skins too, S.I.'s original jurassic park raptor looks pretty cool. Looks very close to the movie, especially when its just stalking. Updated alpha zip below -

see page 4 for download

Things that I've noticed and/or changed: The raptors, as seen above. Added an additional hint for the puzzle. Replaced the atx executable (noticed I used one that required inserting trespasser cd for validation), removed some $models from trees as I noticed all those models were confusing the hell out of the raptors (they'd keep turning, looking up). I may release another alpha as it is since i never intended to prevent anyone without a tres cd not to be able to check it out. Yeah, you could tear it apart and play it inside of C.E., but I'm still rather confused as to how fan .tpas are used with C.E. as it mentions fan .tpas, but I read nothing specific as to how to set it up. There's alot of documentation there, man -
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Hi, T.I. The aqueduct is basically meant as eye candy (it does look quite cool in level though). The original model was more elaborate, but it exceeded tres' 2048 poly limit
Did you consider breaking the high-poly model down into smaller sub-models? Been using that quite a bit for Beach HD and find that it works quite effectively, plus it allows you to hide the finer details using Culling so that it doesn't bog down the level as much. :)
I've been checking out other skins too, S.I.'s original jurassic park raptor looks pretty cool. Looks very close to the movie, especially when its just stalking.
Yeah, that Raptor looks especially quite nice. It was that skin I used as a base for the RTJP Raptors. Though not exact to the movie - no offense, SI. It still looks pretty close to most people...I think I may have examined that particular skin pattern too closely to be honest. To be precise, most noticeable difference is the lack of black striping on the back part of the lower jaw. Still love the look of it regardless though, and I definitely approve of it in this level since the brownish color blends well with the buildings.
Added an additional hint for the puzzle.
:D
Yeah, you could tear it apart and play it inside of C.E., but I'm still rather confused as to how fan .tpas are used with C.E. as it mentions fan .tpas, but I read nothing specific as to how to set it up. There's alot of documentation there, man -
Oh yeah, it took me like a full day of dissecting CE to figure it all out, but the set up is almost the exact same as ATX. Basically you create a folder called "Mods" in your main Tres folder (where the .exe is), then within that folder you can create different folders for each individual mod (eg, Tres B116, JPDS, TC-Trilogy). You can transfer all of your ATX mod content then into those folders as appropriate as it seems to effectively read the folder structure of ATX mods, minus the MAPS folder. Then all you need is an fm.ini file, which I believe comes bundled with CE as an example, which defines the mod name and the additive TPAs...it's all set up for you when you copy it. To pick a mod, you copy the tp_mod.ini file (also with CE) to your main Tres folder, and change the string "ActiveFM=____" to the folder name of whatever mod you want to play. Sounds a bit complicated at first, but it makes it super easy to set up mods without having a ton of EXE files and duplicated files, since CE will default to your regular Tres folder if the FM is missing any files. Hope this helps a little bit! :wink:
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Oh yeah, it took me like a full day of dissecting CE to figure it all out, but the set up is almost the exact same as ATX. Basically you create a folder called "Mods" in your main Tres folder (where the .exe is), then within that folder you can create different folders for each individual mod (eg, Tres B116, JPDS, TC-Trilogy). You can transfer all of your ATX mod content then into those folders as appropriate as it seems to effectively read the folder structure of ATX mods, minus the MAPS folder. Then all you need is an fm.ini file, which I believe comes bundled with CE as an example, which defines the mod name and the additive TPAs...it's all set up for you when you copy it. To pick a mod, you copy the tp_mod.ini file (also with CE) to your main Tres folder, and change the string "ActiveFM=____" to the folder name of whatever mod you want to play. Sounds a bit complicated at first, but it makes it super easy to set up mods without having a ton of EXE files and duplicated files, since CE will default to your regular Tres folder if the FM is missing any files. Hope this helps a little bit! :wink:
I'll have to check it out at some point, but it still sounds rather convoluted to me. Since I switched to my backup windows 7 machine, the level is actually running rather smoothly, so it's not much of a priority at the moment. It's not that I'm downplaying C.E.'s engine upgrade, I just prefer to spend time on the level itself when i have a few free hours of time. ;)
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I'll have to check it out at some point, but it still sounds rather convoluted to me. Since I switched to my backup windows 7 machine, the level is actually running rather smoothly, so it's not much of a priority at the moment. It's not that I'm downplaying C.E.'s engine upgrade, I just prefer to spend time on the level itself when i have a few free hours of time. ;)
Yeah, of course, that's perfectly acceptable. But if you can't work it out once the level is finished, I can set it up for you in a jiffy if you want to make a version for CE as well. :)
Shadefyre
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Shadefyre »

Alright, I give. It's a pretty neat level, and I've been recording a run through, but I've got a flaming gas can that I've been rubbing on pretty much every solid patch of wall with no result. I thought maybe you were meant to blow up the portal, or the wall at the end of the one alley, or even the wall with the fountain thing on it, but nothing. Looking around the entire border of the map doesn't seem to have revealed anything that looks destroyable, and I wish I'd read that mention sooner of not picking up the gas can before getting the voice line to trigger. What am I missing folks?
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

Spoiler: show
Alright, When you first enter the town, in the big open space to the left, where the pig is, there's a little crevice in the rock wall where you need to put the gas can in and than light it on fire. The wall will blow apart creating a passage large enough for Anne to fit thru.
Last edited by tatu on Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added spoiler tag, in case someone doesn't wanna see ;) - Tatu
Anna
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Anna »

Oooooh, this looks nice! Am looking forward to playing it :D
Yes, my avatar is indeed a dino cookie.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Hi, Anna. Long time, hope you've been well. In case you download the dropbox version and you're on a 64bit system, you may want
to drop the level's entire folder into the program files (x86) folder and place a shortcut onto your desktop if you run into any issues. I
normally create installers for level releases, but I'm still reassembling my win7 machine, reinstalling numerous programs that I had on
my 12 year old xp machine that recently died.

Shadefyre, I'm a little confused as to what you wrote above ( I've been recording a run through, but I've got a flaming gas can that I've been rubbing on pretty much everything . . .). There should be no flame on the fuel container until you place it in the proper location and light it. If the can as you call it was 'on fire' when you found it, then a trigger failed. Let me know if that's the case as that shouldn't be.

@Edit: Ok, if you load a saved game, then what you mentioned happens. Rather odd that a saved game doesn't properly record the state of the object, I'll have to look into this a bit. Meantime, for the level to play correctly, don't play off saved_games.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Shadefyre, I'm a little confused as to what you wrote above ( I've been recording a run through, but I've got a flaming gas can that I've been rubbing on pretty much everything . . .). There should be no flame on the fuel container until you place it in the proper location and light it. If the can as you call it was 'on fire' when you found it, then a trigger failed. Let me know if that's the case as that shouldn't be.

@Edit: Ok, if you load a saved game, then what you mentioned happens. Rather odd that a saved game doesn't properly record the state of the object, I'll have to look into this a bit. Meantime, for the level to play correctly, don't play off saved_games.
That's strange - how did you implement said trigger? Is the flame a CEntityAttached that gets its visibility toggled? I've never had something like that happen before in that case, so setting it up like that could be a workaround if your implementation is different. Also I think CE has a save game fix built-in that gets rid of most issues with saved games and misfiring triggers, sooooo a move to CE may be in order... *nudge nudge, wink wink* :P
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Yup, it's a centityattached, toggling visibility. I'm going to look into using tracktwo settings when I get the chance, see how saved games react to that. Visibility actiontype (22?) is strange to begin with. An object has to be visible before you make it visible. So, I used playerleavestrigger to reset to invisible once you leave the tail section of the airplane. That works fine, of course, unless you save a game, then the damn object goes back to visibility. Definitely a snafu in saved game files, I even noticed at times certain triggers and their current states are not recorded properly (behave like they never fired). I still don't really have the time to look into C.E. though. Just busier than hell -
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

*still waiting to have a Tres-playing comp* :pirate:
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Rebel wrote:Yup, it's a centityattached, toggling visibility. I'm going to look into using tracktwo settings when I get the chance, see how saved games react to that. Visibility actiontype (22?) is strange to begin with. An object has to be visible before you make it visible. So, I used playerleavestrigger to reset to invisible once you leave the tail section of the airplane. That works fine, of course, unless you save a game, then the damn object goes back to visibility. Definitely a snafu in saved game files, I even noticed at times certain triggers and their current states are not recorded properly (behave like they never fired).
Hmm. That IS odd, since of all the triggers it seems the PlayerEnter/Leave triggers seem to be the ones the least prone to malfunction. Have you tested it with a CStartTrigger, by any chance? Alternately you might have to use some Variable triggers that have the evaluate now function to determine whether the flame should be visible or not.
I still don't really have the time to look into C.E. though. Just busier than hell -
Totally understand - same goes over here. :wink:
Draconisaurus wrote:*still waiting to have a Tres-playing comp* :pirate:
When you finally do, you'd better strap it to yourself like a harness or something, maybe infuse it with your body...just to be safe. :P