TresCom : The Trespasser Fan Gateway...
It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 9:38 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Ruins Level
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:12 pm 
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Quote:
Hmm. That IS odd, since of all the triggers it seems the PlayerEnter/Leave triggers seem to be the ones the least prone to malfunction. Have you tested it with a CStartTrigger, by any chance? Alternately you might have to use some Variable triggers that have the evaluate now function to determine whether the flame should be visible or not.

T.I., seems using tracktwo settings in lieu of visibility worked just fine (and with saved games). I'll verify it a few times though before uploading another package. I tried CStartTriggers before the above solution, that didn't work, but I had a feeling that controlling the animation directly might. Still don't understand it, but t'is the quarks of modding tres. ;)

@Drac, if I had the extra dough bud, I'd buy you one!

Here's the updated level: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pzf0g407q7cmt ... 7.zip?dl=0

Saved games should work just fine now. Due note the saved game labeled 'test' is no good, toss it (from an earlier test I forgot to delete). No way in hell I'm going to upload again for something so minor.

*Note: AspectRatio is set at 16.9 since I'm a using wide-screen monitor. If you have a square monitor, set the AspectRatio to 0.0 (or 4.1). You'll
find the setting inside the ATX_config. file. There's a read_me file found inside the level's folder -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:38 am 
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Quote:
T.I., seems using tracktwo settings in lieu of visibility worked just fine (and with saved games).

Interesting. I'll have to try that out then. I've had problems with animated textures in the past before (animations glitching out, or animations breaking altogether) so finding a definite working setting would help a lot.

Will check out the new level version and make sure everything works fine on CE. :)

EDIT: Gave it a quick run-through and tested with some save-and-loads, and it seems everything is in order. I like the Tomb Raider-ish cutscene thing you added that gives the hint to the wall puzzle. I'd like to suggest extending this slightly from the current animation and actually having the camera move from its current position to look at the hole in the wall for a few seconds in addition to the quick cut you already have as it is still relatively hard to spot the hole. Also you might make
Spoiler: show
the fire that you need for the torch
a bit larger so that it is more noticeable from the get-go.

My currently active projects:
Return to Jurassic Park: A Trespasser Mod - Forum or ModDB | Trespasser HD: Beach (Released!) / Jungle Road | TheIdiot's release thread

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:02 pm 
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

So essentially what happened is I picked up the gas can at the very start of the level, which of course prevented the audio cues from firing. But the weird thing is, when I found the torch it was already lit, and I tapped the gas can with it which left the flame effect on the gas can that presumably should have only been there when it was placed in the right spot. What I think happened was picking up the gas can first somehow caused the torch to trigger it's lit state? When I replayed through (since the gas can already being on fire also prevented the wall explosion from triggering even after it was placed in the right spot) and did things in the right order, it worked fine.
I can link the video if you'd like.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:04 pm 
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Quote:
So essentially what happened is I picked up the gas can at the very start of the level, which of course prevented the audio cues from firing. But the weird thing is, when I found the torch it was already lit, and I tapped the gas can with it which left the flame effect on the gas can that presumably should have only been there when it was placed in the right spot.

Hmm. I also picked up the gas can at the start and didn't encounter much of an issue, aside from the missing audio. The torch was out when I got there, and I was unable to light the gas can until it had been placed in the wall.

My currently active projects:
Return to Jurassic Park: A Trespasser Mod - Forum or ModDB | Trespasser HD: Beach (Released!) / Jungle Road | TheIdiot's release thread

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:16 pm 
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Shadefyre, you had to be playing off a saved game, right? At any rate, all those issues are fixed in the latest release. I deleted all the other versions
so that no one else runs into those issues. The way it's set now, the animation controls the visibility of the flames on both the can and the torch. So,
in essence, now for instance, if you had lit the torch and saved the game, the torch should remain lit. If however, you save a game and the torch was
not lit, then it should be unlit until you light it up. The only quark there, is there's like a two second delay for the tracktwo settings on the animation to
kick in, so say you save a game with the torch unlit directly in front of you, you might catch the 1 or 2 second flame animation before it reaches the
frame where it goes to invisibility. (there should be no issues whatsoever if you simply play thru)

Fire was never meant to be a part of trespasser, and they definitely didn't expect anne to be walking around with a torch, so I really can't blame
the programmers for anything we do beyond the original intent of the game.

The whole animation sequence using tracktwo settings is a workaround for a flaw in the save game file format. We actually ran into this issue during
tc isle, but it was so long ago, I forgot the problem existed until I read through the tc isle threads and read up on the topic 'why saved game don't
work'. Read that here: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=2853

Another mention: If you pick up the fuel (or gas) can before visit the wall, there is no voiceover hint. In lieu, that's why the tomb raider like cutscene
was added, to give you a hint as to where you should go with it. Now, say u happen to visit that spot in the wall before you pick up the can, anne says
something like 'there's gotta be a way through this' and the secondary voiceover 'that's gotta be what I need' would play if afterwards you go and pick
up the can for the first time.

*I could also expand on that cutscene as T.I. suggested, but the damn camera settings were giving me coords in reverse, so the camera movements
were heading off in the opposite direction. It was really pissing me off! Arrgh

Here's the updated level: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pzf0g407q7cmt ... 7.zip?dl=0

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:02 pm 
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Hey Reb - finally played this level. Since it's not finished, I've only explored the first little area.. Looks very nice so far. 8)

Image Image T-Script Reference / Trespasser Twilight / JP Dark Secrets / Tres File Box

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:29 pm 
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Thanks, Drac. Finally got a computer again, did ya?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:11 am 
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Indeed! Slightly low specs but it works.

Image Image T-Script Reference / Trespasser Twilight / JP Dark Secrets / Tres File Box

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:48 pm 
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Added latest version to TresCom's download section as requested. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:45 am 
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Quote:
Added latest version to TresCom's download section as requested. :)

Always nice to see someone keep their word, tatu. Thanks, bud. ;)

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:14 am 
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

So, is this the final version, or are there more going to come?

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:44 am 
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

machf wrote:
So, is this the final version, or are there more going to come?

Hey, machf. No, they're be a final version of the level released. Been working on it a little at a time,
been rather busy lately with work and family troubles, but as always, I'm determined to finish up the
level as I envisioned. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:04 pm 
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Just wanted to say.. Finally dipped a little deeper into this level and found the source of the saurian invasions.. :| Very nice!

How has this level been coming along?