Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Stevokenevo
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Exporting Terrain

Post by Stevokenevo »

Hi,

Apologies if this has already been covered somewhere (I tried to search but couldn't find it), I have exported the terrain as a .3ds from TresEd but when loaded in to Blender or XSI only half of the level terrain is there.

Does anyone know how to fix this?
Double_G
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
Antispam: No

Re: Exporting Terrain

Post by Double_G »

Stevokenevo wrote:Hi,

Apologies if this has already been covered somewhere (I tried to search but couldn't find it), I have exported the terrain as a .3ds from TresEd but when loaded in to Blender or XSI only half of the level terrain is there.

Does anyone know how to fix this?
I've tried converting 3ds terrains from TresEd to obj using various web converting sites with no luck. The only solution i know of is to use 3ds max to import 3ds files and convert them to obj or fbs. I just downloaded 3ds max trial, imported and exported all the files i wanted and then i uninstalled max
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

The only way I know that works good is to export it as a tpm in TresEd. Then use the tpm import tool for 3dsmax or Gmax. I've never tried Gmax but that should work too. Gmax is apparently free. Gmax might export to a format that Blender will use. I've never used Gmax or Blender so I'm a bit limited in this particular advice. If you have to look online for a Gmax to blender converter.

Look here for tools in general. https://www.trescom.org/download-category/tools/

Here is a max/gmax version. https://www.trescom.org/download/tpm-im ... axscripts/

Here is the Gmax website. https://www.turbosquid.com/gmax

Look into these. If this don't help let us know.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

Teromen have covered pretty good. Gmax is similar to 3ds Max and is a free version of it, but we have the script for it as well.

The reason why .3ds terrains don't show up properly when exported is that .3ds files have a poly limit, and the Trespasser terrains are probably too detailed for it.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Stevokenevo
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Stevokenevo »

Thanks for the replies. I tried the heightmap process instead with the .bmp and it turned out great. Got the full terrain in to blender and then exported in to another game editor.
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

If you want it in full precision you're gonna need to usea tpm though. With a bmp you might notice bumpy-ness or have to use a blur filter. Just a heads up.