Super Jurassic Park 3D! (SNES JP Remake)

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Super Jurassic Park 3D! (SNES JP Remake)

Post by TheIdiot »

So I've had yet another horribly distracting project on my mind for a long time now but have been caught up with other stuff (real life and RTJP on-and-off). This weekend, however, I realized I'd have some free time and decided to get started. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you...

Yep, I've been remaking the Super Nintendo version of Jurassic Park by Ocean in Trespasser! I intend to make the entire game and allow you to complete it, start to finish, just as you could back when you played it on the console. Super JP was one of my favorite SNES games - although it took me until about 2008 to actually finish it - and I want to do it justice while at the same time converting it to a suitable format for Trespasser!

At the moment, I've got the entire map finished (took me two days, about 30 hours 8) ) and have started doing the new models and skins required. Fortunately, due to it being an older game, this won't be a very long process, so you can actually expect a release sometime in the forseeable future! Once the models are complete, scripting shouldn't take too long (though the computer interface puzzles might be a pain), and then it's playtesting and release!

If you haven't played the original, this might be a fun way to experience it, although I recommend you go back and complete it since it isn't very long. The differences between this version and the original will include:
- Saving instead of checkpoints at the motion sensors
- No lives system since you can just re-load
- Enhanced objects from 2D sprites to 3D models
- A couple of slightly different puzzles to fit Trespasser's gameplay

Other than that, I intend it to be as accurate to the classic as possible. And with that, here's some teaser screenshots of the nearly-finished map:

(Ignore the uglieness of TresEd's distant rendering in the below image; this one was also taken yesterday, the map is more complete now), plus an image of the original for comparison:
Image Image
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Re: Super Jurassic Park 3D! (SNES JP Remake)

Post by Nick3069 »

Very cool. I've actually thought about making something like this, but it never got past the early conceptual stage.

I like the work you've done so far. Keep up the good work.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

:o SWEET! :)

Highly anticipating this mod... The game is one I grew up on and is very special to me. I... never actually finished it. My friend and I were only able to figure out how to use the nerve gas on the raptor nest ONCE... and I don't remember anything about what happened after that.

...Will you use sound FX / music from the SNES game? :batman:

Also... *looking at overhead view* That island is no near as big as it was in my memory :yum:
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I've actually thought about making something like this, but it never got past the early conceptual stage.
Sounds interesting! Did you plan to do a full remake like this, or something else along these lines?
Highly anticipating this mod... The game is one I grew up on and is very special to me. I... never actually finished it.
That's okay, the ending is perhaps the absolute worst video game ending ever. It's a picture of the island spinning out and away and boom. The end. :D I actually preferred JPII: The Chaos Continues and the PSX Lost World games to this since they were a lot more varied in their gameplay, but both of those are sidescrollers and would be incredibly hard to remake in Tres.
By the way, if you liked the SNES JP, you should check out the Amiga version. It's like the SNES one on crack - better graphics, better gameplay, but all the same elements. Tim and Lex actually appear as NPCs, plus there's an Aviary and river rafting level; the only parts that are worse are the indoor segments.
My friend and I were only able to figure out how to use the nerve gas on the raptor nest ONCE... and I don't remember anything about what happened after that.
That's near the end, you pretty much just have to reach a certain point in the nest and then it automatically drops. You were close to completing the game...but still so far. :lol:
Of course! I intend to use as few non-SNES sounds as possible. Not sure how well I'll be able to rip them, but on an emulator it should be possible to mute individual sound channels.
Also... *looking at overhead view* That island is no near as big as it was in my memory :yum:
Yeah, I was surprised myself that I was able to build the whole thing in two days! I exported the heightmap and it takes just a little bit more area than the entire Town does. :P

Ah, and a little update - I finished off the Rex skin, but I didn't like the way it turned out. I've decided to use mostly JPOG dinosaur models (for the Raptors, gallimimus, tyrannosaur, pachycephalosaur, dilophosaur and triceratops) since they convey the same level of detail I think is appropriate for this mod, plus their body shapes coincidentally look an awful lot like the dinosaurs in the SNES game. The custom TC dinosaurs (Raptors, dilophosaur, gallimimus, compy) look too realistic in my opinion to fit into the SNESified world. For the other enemies, I'll use the Carnivores Cityscape coelophysis, and the meganeura will be relatively simple scripting-wise, I think.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

TheIdiot wrote:By the way, if you liked the SNES JP, you should check out the Amiga version. It's like the SNES one on crack - better graphics, better gameplay, but all the same elements. Tim and Lex actually appear as NPCs, plus there's an Aviary and river rafting level; the only parts that are worse are the indoor segments.
My impression of it is a not as good, proto-version of the SNES JP game... Screenshots all look way less interesting. I am thinking the SNES version is a sort of refined edition. At any rate, the real reason is probably that the SNES game holds a special, immovable place in my heart... :)
My friend and I were only able to figure out how to use the nerve gas on the raptor nest ONCE... and I don't remember anything about what happened after that.
That's near the end, you pretty much just have to reach a certain point in the nest and then it automatically drops. You were close to completing the game...but still so far. :lol:
Lol damn.
Of course! I intend to use as few non-SNES sounds as possible. Not sure how well I'll be able to rip them, but on an emulator it should be possible to mute individual sound channels.
glitchhunter was the one who got me all the retro game sounds for JPDS... There were way more than I included in JPDS, but alas I do not have them currently. 1) Go ask him! 2) Use TPAreader to export them straight out of JPDS! (They are extremely clean and already in the right audio format.)
(dinosaur skins)
Mmmm for the models that sounds fine but I suggest trying to make them colored as they are in the game. :) There is something special about the harsh brown/black-colored raptors popping out of the crisp, green jungle. 8) Technically I started making this version of EFJP...
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

I was sort of involved in EFJP. Mostly supplying music rips and such. I did have plans to work on levels. The main slowdown was of course lack of models to work with. As for the Amiga game, it's more closely based off of the NES title. I'm gonna assume the DOS version is as well. (I couldn't get it to run right in DOSbox) edit:
actually looking at a video of the Amiga version, it's much different from either version of the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP6BXn3rO8s
even has some dinosaurs not present in other games. The gameplay is similar to the NES/GB JP game though, not the SNES one. The DOS version is essentially the same but with midi music obviously. They do look fun though. the Amiga version's music is overall better quality though. (which is unsurprising because the Amiga had an awesome soundchip)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hey Glitch! IIIIII don't suppose... you have those retro JP game sound FX around, or could acquire them again / point us to where to find them? They are pretty awesome. Source games desired are JP SNES, JP2 SNES (never played it but why not?), JP SG, JP:RE SG.. :nerd:
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

I can rerip the Genesis sounds yeah. I don't have the original files anymore though I'm afraid. I suggest this time you upload them somewhere where you won't lose them because I won't do it a third time lol.

The SNES sounds are a different case. Mainly because I'll have to rip them in real time I'll have to do that with JPRE as well but it's a little easier as Kega Fusion as well as Regen if I use that instead, have a wav dump option I may use Regen to get cleaner sounds. I could probably dump sounds in the SNES games to SPC but that's a bit harder to do. I may end up having to rely on stereo mix for that. That is if I can turn the music off anyway. Been a long time since I played either SNES game.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Thanks Glitch! :) Yeah I'll put them on box.com... perhaps even the Tres File Box. Might as well...
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Here's Sega Genesis JP https://www.mediafire.com/?twetynqnjby9ajk

I'll do JPRE and the SNES games later.
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Rampage Edition is one of my favorite Jurassic Park games 8)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

These are good, thanks Glitch!
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Hey everyone. Just wanted to say that I don't have the sounds yet. been caught up in Carnivores Community related stuff recently. I'm kinda bored so I might at least get onto the Jurassic Park Rampage edition sounds today. I'm just going to record the sounds as one long wav file stream. Thankfully there's an option to disable music so it should make life a little easier.

As for the SNES games, I don't know what I'm going to do yet. It all depends upon if the options menus have an option to disable music or not. I DO have music rips of the NES and gameboy titles (well the Gameboy ones are incomplete but the NES one is however) if you're interested I'll upload them as well.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

As for the SNES games, I don't know what I'm going to do yet. It all depends upon if the options menus have an option to disable music or not. I DO have music rips of the NES and gameboy titles (well the Gameboy ones are incomplete but the NES one is however) if you're interested I'll upload them as well.
I think the emulator I use (not sure of the name...maybe ZSNESW?) has an option to mute certain audio channels. People have done clean rips of the music so there must be a way.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

glitchhunter09 wrote:Hey everyone. Just wanted to say that I don't have the sounds yet. been caught up in Carnivores Community related stuff recently.
I really need to take the time to get back on all that...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files