Trespasser HD - Beach / Jungle Road (BE + JR released)

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Trespasser HD - Beach / Jungle Road (BE + JR released)

Post by TheIdiot »

EDIT 20-Jan-21: This project is no longer in the works. The downloads provided for the two levels are fully playable, with Beach HD being mostly finished and Jungle Road HD being mostly UN-finished.
Have fun!

DOWNLOAD LINKS

Beach HD 0.1 Alpha:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/z7ptd74k1 ... 1alpha.zip

Jungle Road HD 0.1 Alpha:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/7p5f5169 ... a.zip/file

Original post:
"TheIdiot, the kind of detail you're attempting simply is...it's not possible..." - Ian Malcolm

Been working on this for a while on and off in between short bouts of RTJP editing since I'm currently a bit bored on that front. This is more or less sort of a benchmark for me to use, as well as a bit of a testbed for further RTJP development and design, alongside a fun little project that I've had in mind for a while. Basically, the premise of this level is an "HD" remake of Beach, the first level of Trespasser. And by HD, I mean "stupidy, overly crowded to the point of unplayability".
I was heavily inspired by s1n31's Trespassing mod for Crysis, and I wanted to try and see exactly how much detail TresCE can handle in a retail sized level while still being (somewhat) playable on a modern PC. I've gone ahead and completely abandoned all attempts at conserving FPS and using less detail in non-essential areas, instead opting to cover the entire playable area in as much crap as the engine will allow. So far, the small area from the starting beach to the InGen sign has nearly as many objects as the entire retail level, and I won't be stopping this amount of detail any time soon. 8) Along with the insane amount of foliage, I've redesigned several original models with higher polycounts, as well as added some of my own design to the level itself, though nothing completely game-changing. It's pretty damn amazing what you can achieve in a game from 1998 detail-wise with a bit of patching on a new computer!

Here are some screenshots to see what I mean:

The starting beach. You can see the slightly enhanced airplane tail textures, along with a little bit of the terrain textures which are more or less complete (might be using them for RTJP in the end). I'm currently unsure about the 24-bit lightshafts that I've used in several places since the game doesn't quite render them the way I intended - they were supposed to look much brighter and more faded with a much softer transition into opacity. I also have the larger billboards set to "AlwaysFace = false" so they don't rotate weirdly - I find that this looks very good when the closer billboards are stationary, and smaller, distant billboards have "AlwaysFace = true" since you'll never be very close to them, plus making them smaller makes the distance seem much larger.
FPS on the beach is high, I tend to see about 50-55 FPS without occlusion objects. I am also using the hi-res textures I made a while back, which don't appear to be doing much to the FPS at all when enabled.

Here's my hotel ruins area, beloved ripped-off from Trespassing (sorry s1n31, your design was too epic to ignore :P ). This area isn't complete yet, though I intend to do something along the lines of what I came up with in Tres: Reborn, with a lot of scaffolding to climb about on and a lot more general clutter. I also went and made a proper coastline in the vein of TC~Isle, which was a huge pain, but ultimately paid off...anyone mind filling me in on how that was done in TC~Isle? I've also added a low-poly model of Anne's plane to the ocean in the distance, as well as a wing that has washed up on shore on a smaller beach just to the left of this screenshot that was previously un-accessible.
The FPS in this view was 47-49, and I believe the double 24-bit ocean textures may be causing a bit of that performance hit.

And finally, a shot of the jungle. The fence model is brand-new but still uses the original texture, though I haven't made the gates yet. And in case you're wondering, yes, the entire playable jungle area will be this densely covered. No idea how this will impact performance once the entire stage is covered, but fortunately, for once, I don't care at all since my objective is to test the engine to its limits.
FPS in the jungle averages about 48-54, and it fluctuates mostly as you look around. The 24-bit textures don't appear to have much of an impact yet.

Don't expect regular updates on this project since it's sort of a side thing and placing the vegetation is very time consuming - I may cover the entire level and stop there rather than continue to complete the level for the time being. My main focus remains RTJP (which I hope to have an update on soon), but this level is helping me to test out a lot of stuff that I've been looking into for RTJP (like the sunshaft effects, coastline, dense vegetation...). I also don't intend to remake any of the other levels in this style since this is a pretty large project in itself. I really like the way this is looking compared to how Isla Nublar is currently turning out, especially color-wise, so I might be porting most of these textures over to RTJP to replace the weirdly bright green-ness that is currently bothering me. :sick:
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Re: Beach Extreme Detail Remake

Post by Second Illiteration »

Looks fantastic
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

Sure does look good
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-
Antispam: No

Post by Slugger »

Have you played with the lighting any? The jungle looks really nice and dark!
0066521C: 'Cannot create local swap file - Is Trespasser installed??',0Ah,0
"Cold lino was the driving force behind world power!"
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Thanks for the compliments, guys. :)
Have you played with the lighting any? The jungle looks really nice and dark!
Not at all! I left it exactly how it was before, though I *think* I have have fiddled with the DirectionalLight object a little bit to make it appear as though the sun really is in the west, according to Anne's dialogue. The only other thing I might have done is use a CE sky, but I don't think that makes much of difference. It must just be the extreme amount of foliage blocking out the sun. :D

Here's a couple more shots of it so far:

Here's the hill you climb to get off the starting beach. I find that blending rock textures with terrain makes a really nice looking cliff face - something I'll definitely be using elsewhere. I also made it so you can actually get up the short hill on the right just before the first of the foundations, which leads to a small, scenic area with a pool. The pool flows into a short stream before dropping over a waterfall, which is located where that weird foundation structure was on the right as you pass the first drift fence originally.

A view from atop the beach cliff with Anne's plane visible in the distance, also to show off the CE sky. I really want to work on a way to make the sky appear to cut off at the ocean's edge, but the fog always renders over it for some reason. If you look closely, you can also see the new crate models I've done to replace the old ones, using my new textures. All I really added to them was a real, 3D indent on each side, though it makes an enormous difference on so many levels (though they could probably do with new physics objects for each side). They have the same UV maps as the originals so that they are compatible with any already existing wooden crate texture. :wink:
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

Looking really good there
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Well, it looks amazing. Though I'll need a new computer to be able to run it, I guess. Hopefully this year I'll get one, finally...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

machf wrote:Well, it looks amazing. Though I'll need a new computer to be able to run it, I guess. Hopefully this year I'll get one, finally...
Thanks! :D I'd actually be interested to see how it runs on an older PC, though - that's sort of one of the reasons I made this, so that we can see how well CE handles an extremely heavily populated, PC-destroying level on varying systems.
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

The way my computer is going.. I may be able to do that.. I am getting ready to go back to a single processor and win xp 32 bit.. is a little over 1.2 gig cpu, with 2 gigs memory
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Mine's a 10-year-old P4@2.8GHz with 3GB RAM and a 256MB NVidia 6600 video card running Windows 2000 SP4.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

machf
Bryankd2015
Wow, you guys aren't kidding. :P I'll try and get this thing out then so that you guys can test it too. For the record, I'm on a one-year-old Windows 10 3.5GHz AMD FX-6300 (yeah, my processor sucks), 16GB RAM, and my GPU is an NVdia GTX-980 4GB, also using RealTek HD 7.1 surround sound. I wonder what the performance difference will be between our three operating systems - hopefully it isn't too substantial, though I think we may find otherwise. My FPS remains above 45 for the most part on this level so far, and most other levels including the entire retail game tend to remain at about 55 FPS - hell, even my huge Isla Nublar and JPDS1 generally stay well above 50 FPS, though it would be nice to know how well these levels work on your PCs. That definitely shows that the amount of crap in this level is slowing it down, but it's barely at all noticeable so far on my machine running Tres CE on DX9 mode, all enhanced features enabled, external anti-aliasing at 4x and external anisotropic filtering at 16x. I haven't tested the level on ATX or vanilla Tres, and I doubt I will, since ATX has difficulty handling larger levels with lots of 24-bit textures to begin with (Trespasser: Legacy immediately comes to mind), and I think the original engine will likely explode the moment the level loads. :lol: I'll have to run a test on a few other levels and see how they affect my FPS.
dans34
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by dans34 »

it amazing to think that this is what the game could have been (maybe if the devs had more time)
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

dans34 wrote:it amazing to think that this is what the game could have been (maybe if the devs had more time)
I don't think they could ever have thought it could look like this. A 1998 PC would never have run this level without it lagging to the point of being unplayable or alternately crashing, as from what I gather even really good PCs of the day had difficulty running Trespasser. If the game had looked like this, it would have been completely impractical to run. And note that I''m playing on Tres CE using DX9, too, which offers a significant performance and stability increase over the original game, and it still suffers from minor slowdown on my gaming PC that runs modern games at ultra settings perfectly.
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

TheIdiot wrote:3.5GHz AMD FX-6300 (yeah, my processor sucks)
That doesn't suck. It's better than my 1st-gen i7-930 2.80GHz and I'm still able to play all the newest games with it.
Also, my GPU is a GTX 660 Ti and I have 12 GB RAM.

That beach is looking good. 8)
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

That doesn't suck. It's better than my 1st-gen i7-930 2.80GHz and I'm still able to play all the newest games with it.
Also, my GPU is a GTX 660 Ti and I have 12 GB RAM.

That beach is looking good. 8)
True, but I had the option to go with an i7-4790k 4.0GHz for a few extra bucks, which I opted out of in the end. I don't know if it would have really made much of a noticable difference though, since most games run pretty much perfectly on the current set-up. And thanks! :)

A quick shot I took last night of the area between the drift fences:

I think the area needs to be a bit brighter so as to be more welcoming to new players (the original walkthrough mentions the initial jungle being fairly bright, though I could just use fog and ambient lighting), but I'm happy with it overall.

You'll notice I replaced those nonsensical square foundations with something a bit more realistic - the one where the shooting gallery once was is now a small security checkpoint that would have been used once the hotel compound was complete. You won't find any guns here anymore - they're going to be much harder to come by in this remake - though I'll still be setting up a sort of target practice area with rocks and paint cans to give you something to do. The other foundation has become a small helipad, and the ditch where the foundation was is now a pond with a waterfall flowing down into it as sort of a tribute to Isla Nublar. Taking a good look at the original terrain tells me that there was intended to be a waterfall, or at least a pool, here originally, as well as perhaps a dry riverbed on the west side of the hotel ruins. I haven't actually done too much to detail the hotel ruins themselves yet, though I'll probably be adding in a lot of scaffolding and rebar, as well as changing up the "jungle gym" a little bit to allow for a better view over the jungle as described in the alpha walkthrough.

Another little change I've been working at is fixing all the derped terrain in the level. It's pretty obvious where the developers raised the terrain manually to prevent players from going too far off track, so I've been smoothing all of it out to seem somewhat more realistic. This has actually resulted in a slight expansion of the area between the billboard and Raptor bridge, but not by much, in order to keep everything looking good.

Oh, and the game is still running at 45+ FPS in all areas, even looking at the entire level from above. I'm still optimizing the rendering on the flora, so I think this may actually turn out to be fully playable in the end! 8) At this level of detail, most plants that are 30m+ away are hidden behind the foreground plants anyhow, so you can't see them pop into reality when they do.