Trespasser HD - Beach / Jungle Road (BE + JR released)

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Re: Beach Extreme Detail Remake

Post by Rebel »

The pics are indeed impressive, but with my dinosaur of a computer, I doubt it'll play with an acceptable frame rate.
One of these days, I will have to break down and buy a new one though -
Wajas
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by Wajas »

This looks great - be interesting too (if it is not too much hassle) to see some screenshots without the ReShade overlay. It makes the game look so different to my eyes that I struggle a little to make the comparison to how it originally looked!

Fantastic work though, this is the kind of thing I wanted to see for years and years - now with CE it is finally possible.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

The pics are indeed impressive, but with my dinosaur of a computer, I doubt it'll play with an acceptable frame rate.
One of these days, I will have to break down and buy a new one though -
:? Yeah, it's quite FPS heavy, though I'm trying to optimize it as much as I can. It surprisingly runs very decently on my current PC. The animated foliage seems to be preventing affected objects from turning into billboard sprites, so I'm still trying to work out a way to make it do that because just that bug alone is eating up about 20 FPS. :sick:
This looks great - be interesting too (if it is not too much hassle) to see some screenshots without the ReShade overlay. It makes the game look so different to my eyes that I struggle a little to make the comparison to how it originally looked!
I'll do some comparisons later between Build 116, Tres HD, and HD+Reshade then. :)
Fantastic work though, this is the kind of thing I wanted to see for years and years - now with CE it is finally possible.
Thanks! :D
Oh man, CE is SO useful (shout out to Lee! :P ). Now that it has all of ATX's features and more, I think it should definitely become the standard for people playing Tres on modern computers.

Decided to do a bit more work on this after paying a visit to the Toronto Zoo and seeing the abandoned monorail snaking its way down a steep hill through the woods. The deprecated station platform and tracks overrun with foliage really look a lot like what it seems the Trespasser developers had in mind (or at least it would, if there weren't a foot of snow this time of year...).

Image Image Image

Inspired by the sights, I simply had to get working on the monorail (especially since completing this area makes the level about 85% finished!). Initially, I just wanted to visually upgrade the original station with more detail and better textures, but before I knew it I'd added a ton of new detail and extended the platform out...the original one didn't make sense - how were passengers supposed to access the rest of the train apart from the section parked next to the platform? In the end I tried to create something somewhat the same, but still quite fresh and a bit more realistic:

In the above screenshot, I haven't fully detailed the area yet or added the monorail track itself (that will also need model updates!), but I think it looks decent even at about 50% completion. Do you guys like the new concept or did I stray too far from the original?
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Just a little update: the level is almost completely finished (decoration-wise)! I just have to complete a small area between the monorail and see-saw bridge and the entire thing will be filled out. Then I have to add in all of the models I haven't imported yet (many of which will be getting remakes), do a bit more detail here and there, then complete the trigger work and add a couple of nifty little touches and the level will be released! :mrgreen:
Still might take a while due to all of the objects I need to remodel, but I can guarantee a finished release quite soon. This will be a "beta" release, pretty much finished, so that everyone can try it out and report bugs/make suggestions, and then once all that is fixed version 1.0 will be released and I will begin work on JR HD.
Blapeuh
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by Blapeuh »

Did you ever find out how to make that .gif you talked about?
Maybe this could be of any help to you https://imgflip.com/gifgenerator
Deagles4life
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Deagles4life »

Awesome work so far dude!
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Blapeuh wrote:Did you ever find out how to make that .gif you talked about?
Maybe this could be of any help to you https://imgflip.com/gifgenerator
That could help, yes. I'm thinking I'll just wait until the level is released so you can see it yourself. Thanks anyway though. :)
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I've been working to try and get this level finished so you guys can finally check it out since it's sooo close to finishing. There are a few more details I'd like to add as well as a bit of scripting and a bugfix or two, and there's a small patch of land that is rather barren still, but Beach~HD is so close to being done!

Just for fun, here's a couple of screenshots showing the nearly finished state of the level:
Image Image

Will be working in the coming weeks to get this thing released! :wink:
PsychologicalDevice
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by PsychologicalDevice »

I leave for a bit and someone steals my plans.........................

But it looks a lot better than mine did (I'm sure it functions better too). Fantastic work
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Looking good... I take it it will be released in a format which uses CE's mod folder feature?
PsychologicalDevice
Triceratops
Triceratops

The one I was working on was trying to be faithful to the walkthrough and, not have the two velociraptors shoved in your face. It was either you had three or four to really get you in the mood, and once one died another popped up, the replacement sustained enough damage and another popped out. Giving the feeling it was a pack. Gave them much higher damage, making it a scramble to get up the monorail and jump over.

But then I realized that sort of killed the pacing and the threat of it all. I mean if you have velociraptors everywhere, they become tedious, and the charm of "oh fuck it's that killer dinosaur from the movie" into "the rats are at me again". I just planned putting a couple of more refined beta parasaurs there. Wait until the end of the monorail at Jungle Road to introduce them so ominousness of the thicker jungle of Plantation House makes you feel that anything could happen. I mean that makes thematic sense right? Sure nobody likes a walking simulator but a herd of stegosaurs or a herd of trics could probably ruin your day anyways, and the attraction of going near a wild animal is sort of there for anyone.

I don't know, I thought the walkthrough was paced rather well not having enemies, because you expect the enemy to be there, it's a jungle. They could come popping out any second. And there's gotta be more hungry carnivores than velociraptors, that ruins the mystique of them.

Idk, that was my take on it when I tried something similar to what you did TI. Yours looks a hell of a lot prettier and, I never really thought about the one way monorail :P
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Looking good... I take it it will be released in a format which uses CE's mod folder feature?
Yessir. It's gonna be CE only as I can guarentee ATX will just crash before the level even starts. Plus I'd like to completely redo most of the sounds in Effects.tpa and Ambient.tpa as I did with RTJP, so those will be included as well.
PsychologicalDevice wrote:I leave for a bit and someone steals my plans.........................

But it looks a lot better than mine did (I'm sure it functions better too). Fantastic work
Well, this has been in production for almost a year now...but thank you. :)
The one I was working on was trying to be faithful to the walkthrough and, not have the two velociraptors shoved in your face. It was either you had three or four to really get you in the mood, and once one died another popped up, the replacement sustained enough damage and another popped out. Giving the feeling it was a pack. Gave them much higher damage, making it a scramble to get up the monorail and jump over.
That's how the Raptors will likely work in this mod. They won't just be there standing in the open, they will for the most part attack with little warning out of the bushes and frequently in groups. I've done a bit of AI programming in RTJP already so I've got a good idea of how this might work.
But then I realized that sort of killed the pacing and the threat of it all. I mean if you have velociraptors everywhere, they become tedious, and the charm of "oh fuck it's that killer dinosaur from the movie" into "the rats are at me again". I just planned putting a couple of more refined beta parasaurs there. Wait until the end of the monorail at Jungle Road to introduce them so ominousness of the thicker jungle of Plantation House makes you feel that anything could happen. I mean that makes thematic sense right? Sure nobody likes a walking simulator but a herd of stegosaurs or a herd of trics could probably ruin your day anyways, and the attraction of going near a wild animal is sort of there for anyone.
Yeah, I've thought a lot about that too. The problem is that you don't want the pacing to be too quick, or too slow. I'm thinking the first dinosaurs will be encountered about midway through JR, and then become more commonplace as you go further north across the island. Plantation House to me always seemed like the first level where you would be walking around constantly checking for threats - the first "danger close" level, if you will. There could perhaps be a Raptor or two at the end of JR, in fact I'm considering moving the young Raptor with mother from the walkthrough into the monorail valley at the end of JR so as to get at least one hostile encounter in before you get into the thick of it in the next level.

Fortunately, I think the visuals of this mod make up for the longer distances that you'll be walking without dinosaurs. Since I also want to include missing puzzles, there should be more to do in between dinosaur attacks.
I don't know, I thought the walkthrough was paced rather well not having enemies, because you expect the enemy to be there, it's a jungle. They could come popping out any second. And there's gotta be more hungry carnivores than velociraptors, that ruins the mystique of them.
That's the idea I'm going with here. The extreme amount of groundcover provides plenty of hiding places for carnivores, and will be extensively used by them for cover. As I said a few pages back, I'd like to include a couple of new dinosaurs to keep things interesting - as of right now, the remaining dinosaurs featured in the old Chaos Island game that aren't in Tres are probably going to be my picks (compsognathus, pachycephalosaurus, dilophosaurus), along with Gallimimus as it we have evidence of it originally being intended for Trespasser anyway. Those extra four types of dinosaur should help create some diversity and make things more interesting alongside the other dinos that will be in Tres.
PsychologicalDevice
Triceratops
Triceratops

Yeah the mod looks spectacular. Amazing what you can eventually do with an engine everyone thought was broken in 1998 with the right resources
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Slugger »

Absolutely stunning!
0066521C: 'Cannot create local swap file - Is Trespasser installed??',0Ah,0
"Cold lino was the driving force behind world power!"
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Question - will you be using the b55 JR terrain for the sequel to this level? IMO it is the best version we have...