TUPP - Trespasser's Unofficial Patch Project - NEW PH VER.

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: TUPP - Trespasser's Unofficial Patch Project - NEW IJ VE

Post by tatu »

I've been working on something special. I've been combining AS, AS2 and SUM into one huge level. So far it is playable, but it needs a lot of fixes. Hilwo have tried it out and pointed out some bugs. But I hope this will work with the CE patch.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

tatu wrote:I've been working on something special. I've been combining AS, AS2 and SUM into one huge level. So far it is playable, but it needs a lot of fixes. Hilwo have tried it out and pointed out some bugs. But I hope this will work with the CE patch.
The hype is very real. :o :)

Which reminds me, are you going to use the beta version of Ascent I, where the entrance starts where the Lab ended?
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Yeah it was awesome :mrgreen: Especially seeing the helipad from the bottom of the mountain already :)
tatu

Post by tatu »

TrespasserGuy wrote:
tatu wrote:I've been working on something special. I've been combining AS, AS2 and SUM into one huge level. So far it is playable, but it needs a lot of fixes. Hilwo have tried it out and pointed out some bugs. But I hope this will work with the CE patch.
The hype is very real. :o :)

Which reminds me, are you going to use the beta version of Ascent I, where the entrance starts where the Lab ended?

Of course I will! ;)

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Fenris
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by Fenris »

And you said you weren't great with terrain :P this sounds like there was a LOT of terrain wrangling.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Excellent idea on creating an AS-AS2-SUM level, Tatu! :D Can't wait to see it... (Btw, it would be cool if you could make the alarm repeat as it's supposed to. You can tell it's supposed to from the way it's scripted, but it only plays once...)
tatu

Post by tatu »

I thought I would give you guys an update. I started working with the AS-SUM combo level last year but stopped after a while.

Trespasser, in most levels, uses combined foliage objects, with several foliage in one mesh, probably to save time placing the foliage. One huge issue with this is that it doesn't work well with the terrain unless it is flat (or a flat hill). As soon as there is a minor change to the terrain like a hill some of the foliage will appear underground. For AS-SUM I have replaced all these with the single meshes of all foliage, so they all can be placed properly.

This is where the next "issue" begins. Instead of having maybe 2000-3000 or something foliage objects, I now have like 16000 to fix, by hand. This takes time and you get pretty bored with it after a short while.

And with this the most annoying issue comes. The thing is, TresEd doesn't render the terrain properly, unless in Terrain Edit Mode. This means that a hill sometimes show as several pyramid-form forms on some slopes, and some other major issues with showing the terrain. This means that on some location, I have to fix and object in Terrain Edit Mode. This is time consuming work because in Terrain Edit Mode, you can't select any objects, which means I have to select an object, go into Terrain Edit Mode, fix its location and then exit Terrain Edit Mode, and do it all over again. 100 foliage objects can take up to 1h this way.

At this writing moment, I have around 4500 foliage objects left to fix, and then all foliage will be done (there will probably be some I've missed anyway). After this I will move on to the actually fun stuff, everything other than the foliage.

The plan at the moment is to combine levels like this: BE-JR, JR-IT-PL, PV-LAB, AS-AS2-SUM. It all depends on the terrain objects really, due to the palette. Levels with buildings is more difficult to work with since there isn't any palette that works with all levels sadly.

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

tatu wrote:The plan at the moment is to combine levels like this: BE-JR, JR-IT-PL, PV-LAB, AS-AS2-SUM. It all depends on the terrain objects really, due to the palette. Levels with buildings is more difficult to work with since there isn't any palette that works with all levels sadly.
*presumes you mean IJ-IT-PL* Luck to you! The palette issue is an interesting one. Dunno if the combinations you propose would go over the palette limit for any one final level but I became something of an expert at palette management in JPDS (in fact JPDS is a good place to get palettes from due to the combination work I did). One thing - you might need to make new palettes for terrain, since some levels have "unique" areas of color inclusion and there won't be an existing Tres palette which has both (example - floor colors from IT and the gorge's blues in IJ).

Keep it up!
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

tatu wrote: And with this the most annoying issue comes. The thing is, TresEd doesn't render the terrain properly, unless in Terrain Edit Mode. This means that a hill sometimes show as several pyramid-form forms on some slopes, and some other major issues with showing the terrain. This means that on some location, I have to fix and object in Terrain Edit Mode. This is time consuming work because in Terrain Edit Mode, you can't select any objects, which means I have to select an object, go into Terrain Edit Mode, fix its location and then exit Terrain Edit Mode, and do it all over again. 100 foliage objects can take up to 1h this way.
Yup. It's a PITA, isn't it?
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Thanks to this project and JPDS... I have little doubt that Tatu has single-handedly fixed more Tres foliage obj heights than any other human has or ever will....
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

*presumes you mean IJ-IT-PL* Luck to you! The palette issue is an interesting one. Dunno if the combinations you propose would go over the palette limit for any one final level but I became something of an expert at palette management in JPDS (in fact JPDS is a good place to get palettes from due to the combination work I did). One thing - you might need to make new palettes for terrain, since some levels have "unique" areas of color inclusion and there won't be an existing Tres palette which has both (example - floor colors from IT and the gorge's blues in IJ).
Or alternately you could go with similar palettes in the level and instead save each texture as a .dds for CE to use. That way you wouldn't lose any color at all, only thing is now that forces people to use CE or the levels would look crappy.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Or forget about palettes and just use 24-bit images if you're going to use CE...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

machf wrote:Or forget about palettes and just use 24-bit images if you're going to use CE...
Exactly what I had in mind. Except you can't used Bitmaps because they are incorrectly lit in CE, you have to use DDS files instead. Remember that CE also allows normalmaps, so I'm sure there's some way you could convert standard Tres bumpmaps into CE normalmaps so that things don't lose their bumpiness when you import them.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

TheIdiot wrote:
Or alternately you could go with similar palettes in the level and instead save each texture as a .dds for CE to use. That way you wouldn't lose any color at all, only thing is now that forces people to use CE or the levels would look crappy.
Was not thinking about CE high-res stuff. In that case just give everything the same palette if it's got a high-res replacement :P However this does not cover the terrain texture matter. ...AFAIK, he never got CE to accept anything new as far as terrain textures go.
machf wrote:Or forget about palettes and just use 24-bit images if you're going to use CE...
TheIdiot wrote:Exactly what I had in mind. Except you can't used Bitmaps because they are incorrectly lit in CE, you have to use DDS files instead.
Eh? When did this come to light? What does the incorrect lighting look like? *hopes to have no issues making DDS files when the time comes*
Remember that CE also allows normalmaps, so I'm sure there's some way you could convert standard Tres bumpmaps into CE normalmaps so that things don't lose their bumpiness when you import them.
This seems very basic to me, the ability to do that... but then IDK what CE normalmaps are supposed to look like.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Draconisaurus wrote: This seems very basic to me, the ability to do that... but then IDK what CE normalmaps are supposed to look like.
IIRC, CE uses standard normalmaps, instead of Trespasser's custom ones. You know, those 24-bit images where R,G and B are used to represent the X, Y and Z components of the normal vector... they tend to look somewhat like shades of purple.