A small unfinished map

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

A small unfinished map

Post by Teromen »

I wasn't happy with this for a level but decided to release it anyway as a sort of demo for people to just explore/walk around. It isn't optimized or anything but will still run fast as its an empty map.

I got a little better at drawing landscapes in the Unreal engine with this so I'm happy ;).

https://file.io/0B8ExcS2c2UU
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: A small unfinished map

Post by TheIdiot »

It says "file deleted"?
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

The MediaFire link works. Considering that this level is basically just terrain, you could have uploaded the WTD on its own.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

The ground textures are quite nice looking, as per usual with your levels. :) This would make a good base for someone who wants to make a new level using these files. Only thing is that the terrain is extremely high-poly and will probably cause issues down the road, so it would require a fair bit of optimizing first.
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

Yea, It takes a lot of time to optimize after importing the terrain so I didn't feel the need. Its ok to use this as a base.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Have you tried running your terrains through Max with the Optimize/ProOptimize modifier before importing? That might help reduce the polycount a bit when you import. Can't remember whether that helped much when I last tried to do it but it's worth a shot if you want to save yourself some time.
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

I don't know how to properly re-tesselate the terrain after running a pro optimizer to get rid of geomadd conversion glitches. I have an idea on this though now... I'll look into it. Might involve exporting and importing a second time. The best way I know is to just optimize it patch by patch in TresEd.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Teromen wrote:I don't know how to properly re-tesselate the terrain after running a pro optimizer to get rid of geomadd conversion glitches. I have an idea on this though now... I'll look into it. Might involve exporting and importing a second time. The best way I know is to just optimize it patch by patch in TresEd.
That will make a difference. If I remember correctly, you can import your terrain, make a tiny edit to it in TresEd, save it, export again back to Max, and then export once more back to .wtd and that will help get it into a workable shape. IF I remember correctly, that is. :wink: You're going to get holes in the terrain no matter what when you first import if your terrain isn't aligned with TresEd's terrain grid, but it is definitely faster to patch those as you go than to have to optimize the entire terrain.
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

I've experimented with importing a smaller bmp to TresEd then adding tessellation in 3dsmax and applying a higher res bmp as a displacement.