Hi-Res Textures for Trespasser! (Released V0.1)

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Hi-Res Textures for Trespasser! (Released V0.1)

Post by TheIdiot »

So I got bored and decided to try making some higer-res textures by upscaling, enhancing, and finally normalmapping some old Tres B116 textures. After a lot of tedious work trying to get them to look half-decent, here's the result:

Image Image Image Image

Those ones are just enhancements of the old textures, but in my opinion they look pretty damn good! They're all no bigger than 1024x, though most are just 512x512. Either way, it brings a lot of life and enhances the old, flat, blurry textures with something a little bit better looking.

Then I decided to try taking it a step further, as I found some of the textures were so low quality or impossible to enhance that I set about completely remaking them from scratch. These ones took forever to get done, but I tried to keep them as accurate as I could to the originals.
First up is the monorail terminus sign - the only words I could make out were "TO TOWN" and the various line numbers:

Then I decided to go all-out and make a brand new version of the Hotel billboard...this one was a doozy since it incorporated so many elements, and ultimately it isn't an exact copy, but it's close enough for my liking:

I actually whipped up the hotel itself as a mesh in 3DS Max, then threw it into a picture that seemed to resemble the original's background. I think I may have found the exact beach used in Tres, though it seems they may have edited it a bit. I forgot to modify the hotel's lighting before interposing it, but it turned out okay either way.

I also did a quick remake of the Beach sky with CE's enhanced sky. It's not too noticeable, but I'd like to do a little bit more with it and release it as well.

Anyway, let me know what you think. If you guys want these uploaded, I'd gladly put them up in a pack. I'm actually working on a few more as well, namely Anne (not sure how well that will go) and the crashed plane's tail. :sick:
Last edited by TheIdiot on Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wajas
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: Hi-Res Textures for Trespasser!

Post by Wajas »

Nice work! I was really hoping someone with the skill and patience I lack would take on the capabilities offered by CE to upscale the Trespasser visuals in this way. I'd love to see them in a pack once you are happy with them.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Wajas wrote:Nice work! I was really hoping someone with the skill and patience I lack would take on the capabilities offered by CE to upscale the Trespasser visuals in this way. I'd love to see them in a pack once you are happy with them.
Thanks, man. :) I was hoping someone would start something like this, too, but I decided to try it myself since it didn't seem to be happening. Maybe a superior and dedicated artist will come along one day and do the whole thing.

As for a pack release, I'll get on that as soon as I've got the majority of the Beach level's textures down. I don't plan on doing foliage or environmental objects quite yet, just the big ones that stand out.

Anyway, I did a few more last night. Imgur is being a dick right now, but as soon as I can, I'll get the screenshots up. It seems the crate textures, which I completely re-did, are still loading their default Tres bumpmaps, which is annoying. I think the only solution to this might end up being to release a patched version of the level with the crates re-imported so that they load correctly...which will suck, but fortunately I have a cleaned up version of Beach (floaters, weird placement of objects, clipping fixed and beta content re-added) that will probably work for such a thing. Only problem is that I'd have to do it for all nine levels...ugh! Tres, y u do dis?! :x

EDIT: Got the images up. Here's the new stuff I've done so far:

Image Image
I think Anne's gonna need a complete remake to look as good as I want her to, but for now this works.

Image Image
The plane tail and the wooden fence...just a small tweak.

Image Image
Here's the crates, notice the odd bumpmapping. That will have to be fixed! Otherwise I think they look excellent.

Not sure what happened to the bumpmaps on this one. I think I'll have to redo them, as well as modify the edges and plants so they blend better with the building.
PsychologicalDevice
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by PsychologicalDevice »

That's really spectacular. I've been working on the textures as well, but I've mostly been focusing on the Dinosaurs and not the props themselves. These are great! Hope to see them uploaded.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

PsychologicalDevice wrote:That's really spectacular. I've been working on the textures as well, but I've mostly been focusing on the Dinosaurs and not the props themselves. These are great! Hope to see them uploaded.
Sweet. Mind uploading some screens? I don't really have too much faith in my ability to make dinosaur textures...maybe we could combine our efforts and release them all together? :wink:

On that note, it'd actually be cool to get a community project going in an attempt to improve the textures of the original game (and maybe even some models). I was thinking of going and remaking some of the lower-poly meshes and giving them improved textures as well as a bit more detail - for example, adding indents to the sides of crates, holes to the top of concrete blocks rather than flat textures, lights on the Ops Center, etc. - and fixing up the levels by removing floaters, broken triggers, weird object placement and all that good stuff. It's just an idea I've had for a while now. :D Either way, I'm dedicated to RTJP, but I'd like to see something like that go into production (and be willing to help out a bit)...call it "Trespasser HD" or something gimmicky like that. :P
PsychologicalDevice
Triceratops
Triceratops

TheIdiot wrote:
PsychologicalDevice wrote:That's really spectacular. I've been working on the textures as well, but I've mostly been focusing on the Dinosaurs and not the props themselves. These are great! Hope to see them uploaded.
Sweet. Mind uploading some screens?
They're not exactly perfect at the moment. I've been trying to fit maquettes to the skins themselves, as it seems to be universally the case Lost World/Jurassic Park ILM maquettes fit right onto the skins with some perspective work and scaling. As was the case with the Rex skin.

But it's still a work in progress. For example, Tribe B, used to be orange, just spotted.
Raptors0.jpg
Raptors0.jpg (47.18 KiB) Viewed 25433 times
And while I can't find a maquette like that, we know that at one point there was a maquette of a raptor that had that design, just darker.
Raptor Maq.jpg
Raptor Maq.jpg (422.24 KiB) Viewed 25433 times
It's not out of the question to imagine boat loads of maquettes lying around during production of The Lost World with alternate paint schemes, because that's exactly what they did for Jurassic Park. Leading me to believe that originally the "Tribes" were alternate paint schemes for Lost World Dinosaurs. But that's another matter entirely.
Paint Schemes.png
Paint Schemes.png (591.89 KiB) Viewed 25433 times
Long story short, I think slightly editing if not just copy pasting maquetes with a degree of opacity onto the skins themselves allow for a better amount of detail (and that's what the team did originally, anyways)

Here's a sneak peak at the Rex. I'm thinking of using the base paint scheme found in the PV beta though to overlay the maquette onto. But the results have always been good, regardless.
TPass201506282210290.BMP
TPass201506282210290.BMP (5.93 MiB) Viewed 25433 times
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Ah, okay, I see what you're doing. That's not exactly what I had in mind - rather, instead of creating new skins that differ from the originals, to bring the originals up in quality while keeping them very similar. However, that does sound extremely interesting, and I would love to see your spotted Raptor once it's finished. Your Rex turned out pretty damn well. :)
Here's a sneak peak at the Rex. I'm thinking of using the base paint scheme found in the PV beta though to overlay the maquette onto. But the results have always been good, regardless.
Why don't you use the green T. rex you can find on the downloads page of the main site? It looks to be based on the maquette version, but I don't know how complete it is.
PsychologicalDevice
Triceratops
Triceratops

TheIdiot wrote:
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Ah, okay, I see what you're doing. That's not exactly what I had in mind - rather, instead of creating new skins that differ from the originals, to bring the originals up in quality while keeping them very similar. However, that does sound extremely interesting, and I would love to see your spotted Raptor once it's finished. Your Rex turned out pretty damn well. :)
Why don't you use the green T. rex you can find on the downloads page of the main site? It looks to be based on the maquette version, but I don't know how complete it is.
Because the detail in the retail itself is still copied to a degree from the maquette they were probably sent photographs of.

For example. The Old Rex model.
TRex0.jpg
TRex0.jpg (28.36 KiB) Viewed 25427 times
Clearly different, but the detail is straight from the maquette. The retail version is still to a degree based on it, but there were transitory versions of watered down detail involving the white (instead of orange), underbelly, which is seen in the Pine Valley level in the Beta itself.
AGrnTrex01t2.bmp
AGrnTrex01t2.bmp (33.05 KiB) Viewed 25427 times
Compare that to the retail.
AGrnTrex01t2.bmp
AGrnTrex01t2.bmp (33.05 KiB) Viewed 25427 times
So my idea is they were slowly changing the coloring and detail work, for whatever reason, maybe copyright as universal might have changed their mind about wanting to be associated with the project. My theory is (since the image found within the source matches perfectly with the model) if you layer a transparent image of a maquette onto a Dinosaur, it should fit pretty damn snug. And like I said, so far that's pretty much turned out to be true with the exception of the Parasaur and the Velociraptors.

Here's another shot of a Rex doing his thing.
TPass201506282043220.BMP
TPass201506282043220.BMP (5.93 MiB) Viewed 25427 times
tatu

Post by tatu »

This is pretty awesome work. LOVE IT! How does it affect the FPS in the levels so far? (Imagine just doing some HD texture for some foliage and boulders, how awesome it would look!)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

I've done a lot of HD textures in other games I've worked on,

but redoing all of Trespasser's textures (or what ones we can) feels like a lost cause. Without the ability to make high-res terrain textures or replace low-poly models, making high-resolution textures could actually make the game look worse with contrasting amounts of detail. Better graphics don't make a better game.

Although I could see where high-res textures could be useful: signage and posters with words, because that could improve immersion far more than rock textures ever could.

I would rather spend with my mapping skills to improve the gameplay, fixing bugs, make the game harder (way too many guns), and other improvements that change the gameplay for the better.
Check out the HL2 mod I'm helping with: Image
Visit my Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/awesome24712/
Visit my YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome24712

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Slugger »

Awesome work so far! That hotel billboard is a work-o-art!
0066521C: 'Cannot create local swap file - Is Trespasser installed??',0Ah,0
"Cold lino was the driving force behind world power!"
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

This is pretty awesome work. LOVE IT! How does it affect the FPS in the levels so far? (Imagine just doing some HD texture for some foliage and boulders, how awesome it would look!)
No FPS change whatsoever that I've noticed. I wonder if and when the HD textures will start hurting FPS...in RTJP, probably about 65-70% of textures are 512x or bigger, but I haven't noticed them affecting performance. I *think* that they might bring up load times, but as long as the level is stable, that's not really an issue in my opinion.
awesome24712
Nice textures! What game is that? I'd like to see how they looked before.
but redoing all of Trespasser's textures (or what ones we can) feels like a lost cause. Without the ability to make high-res terrain textures or replace low-poly models, making high-resolution textures could actually make the game look worse with contrasting amounts of detail. Better graphics don't make a better game.
I have to disagree to some extent. The terrain in Tres actually doesn't look that bad when it's detailed further by adding little 3D grass instances, bushes and rocks and avoiding open spaces like they did originally. In addition, a lot of the original terrain textures are smaller than 256x, so those could certainly be improved. However I do see your point - for it to look better, you'd want a uniform improvement or it would look out of place.
We could actually make high-poly models and replace the originals (all we have to do is remake and then reimport the meshes to override the originals). And I completely agree - most of the games I play are old, pre-2005 games with average graphics, and they still kick the ass of most new games.
Although I could see where high-res textures could be useful: signage and posters with words, because that could improve immersion far more than rock textures ever could.
Looks like the Tres developers thought the same thing. :P A lot of the x256 textures are only things that really need the extra detail.
I would rather spend with my mapping skills to improve the gameplay, fixing bugs, make the game harder (way too many guns), and other improvements that change the gameplay for the better.
That's something else that needs to be done one day. We've had projects over the years that claim they're going to do this, but never get finished, sadly...
Awesome work so far! That hotel billboard is a work-o-art!
Thanks. :D Good thing there aren't many other textures that require full, 100% remakes like that - that thing took more time than it should've. :P

Anyway - I plan on uploading my pack soon. Just want to try fixing some small things and maybe do a few more textures that deserve updates. Those damn crates are the bane of me...

EDIT: Ho ho! What is this madness? Can you spot the difference?

Image Image Image

Could it be...higher poly meshes? :sick: Could the legends be true?!
Just wanted to test my theory that meshes can be replaced easy as ever in retail levels. I remade the concrete pilings, giving them smoother edges (after all, the weather would've worn them down) and actual depth to the holes in the top. The UV mapping isn't great yet, but it was only a proof-of-concept. It doesn't make too much of a difference, but it's noticeable when you think about how flat the default meshes looked. I also remade the ones with the metal bars in the top, bringing the bar's sides up to 10 instead of 6 (now that I look at them, they could do with better textures, too! :P ). They are actually sitting in carved out holes, but it's so hard to notice that I might go back and remove the holes instead...now the bloody crates look really flat.
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

Nice textures! What game is that? I'd like to see how they looked before.
It's a HL2 mod calledBattlegrounds 2. This is how the map looked before I got my hands on it:

That's something else that needs to be done one day. We've had projects over the years that claim they're going to do this, but never get finished, sadly...
That's generally because they set too high of goals. They've been trying to revamp the levels and add new features to them. What I want to do is just fix the levels; move a few objects around, fix bugs, etc. Ex. eliminate the bug in the town where you can just climb over/go through the main exit to the town.
Check out the HL2 mod I'm helping with: Image
Visit my Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/awesome24712/
Visit my YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome24712

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Well, I packed everything together for a release. I've decided to get them out as-is since I haven't worked on the textures for a while now. The only level I worked on so far was Beach, though there are a few other things here and there that are new (the mural in the Ops Center being one). Enjoy! I'll also upload this to the thread "TheIdiot Releases Stuff" so it isn't buried. It also includes a new CE sky for Beach, recreated as faithfully as possible.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/41mol ... es+V01.zip

Enjoy! :mrgreen:
Nicolas
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Re: Hi-Res Textures for Trespasser! (Released V0.1)

Post by Nicolas »

Finally ! Someone taking advantage of trespasser ce and making hd textures! Granded we still need a new ce update to make proper hd terrain textures possible but the game still can be improved by a huge margin! Great work ,can't wait for more hd textures!