Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

All New Trespasser Fan Levels

Post by TrespasserGuy »

Hi, I'm TrespasserGuy.

For sometime I've looked at these forums and got attracted to it. After sometime, I decided to join. I have played many wonderful fan levels: JPDS, Craters, The Four Towers, Lost Jungle, etc. After this, I decided to make my own levels using TresEd. I know many of you would like to play all new fan levels, for those of you who have thought that newer levels aren't coming out fast enough. Anyway, my plan is to release at least three new levels, four if I can manage... maybe 5?
All these levels will be fun to play and will be full of a great deal of puzzles, dinos, and exploration.

They are, currently, named:
Spoiler: show
Mountain Road
Everlasting Jungle
Hunters' Camp
and an unnamed beach level
Here are some images to show what to expect in these new levels. :)

"In eleven months, Site B became the most powerful genetics facility in the world" - John Hammond

"The hunters landed on May 13, 1997 deep in the island's south west. Most of them had worked at my African parks for years... they never stood a chance" - John Hammond.

And those were just from one single level!
Are you excited? Because I surely am! :mrgreen:
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Re: All New Trespasser Fan Levels

Post by Hilwo »

Welcome aboard 8) Looking good, keep up the good work!
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Excellent work and welcome, sir! Looks really good, are these your first levels in Tres? Can't wait to play these puppies. :) I miss the days of working on a bunch of small, casual levels. Keep it up!
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

Very nice indeed. Seeing you are using many fan-created assets which doesn't happen that often. Keep it up!
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

TheIdiot wrote:Excellent work and welcome, sir! Looks really good, are these your first levels in Tres? Can't wait to play these puppies. :) I miss the days of working on a bunch of small, casual levels. Keep it up!
tatu wrote:Very nice indeed. Seeing you are using many fan-created assets which doesn't happen that often. Keep it up!
Thanks for all the good feedback. :) Some of these levels have been my first, and over time, I have updated them.

Anyway, here's some screenshots from the Hunters' Camp level.

And some in-game screenshots. Taken in Lee Arbuco's Trespasser Custom Edition with Fraps.

In my opinion, fighting the Rex and those two raptors on top of the gas station was one of the most heart-pounding experiences I ever had in Trespasser! :mrgreen:
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Wow. The quality of this level looks extremely good, you're making me jealous! I assume you're using the JPDS base level for most models? Also noticed you gave the gas station physics, which it lacked in hppav's Town level. (Unless you ported it from Tres: Reborn - I think I gave it physics). :P I also find it interesting that you chose to use the low-poly Raptor and tyrannosaurus models over the higher poly ones...I've heard they run better than the JPOG and TC~isle versions on weaker rigs though. :)
Also, just to be safe, are you making sure to minimize your palette count when importing new models? That was a major mistake I made creating many of my first levels and it will cause a ton of problems in the long run.
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

TheIdiot wrote:Wow. The quality of this level looks extremely good, you're making me jealous! I assume you're using the JPDS base level for most models? Also noticed you gave the gas station physics, which it lacked in hppav's Town level. (Unless you ported it from Tres: Reborn - I think I gave it physics). :P I also find it interesting that you chose to use the low-poly Raptor and tyrannosaurus models over the higher poly ones...I've heard they run better than the JPOG and TC~isle versions on weaker rigs though. :)
Also, just to be safe, are you making sure to minimize your palette count when importing new models? That was a major mistake I made creating many of my first levels and it will cause a ton of problems in the long run.
Thanks. :) Well, this was actually one of my first levels, before I knew what palettes were, and, because of this, you'll see a messed-up road texture in this level. I am trying to minimize the palette count and am at 64 out of 98 available or something like that.

Also, I'm here to say that this level might be a bit subpar: Nothing interesting (it may crash sometimes), but it'll be enjoyable nonetheless. :D That being said, does anyone want to beta test this level? It's nowhere near finished, it doesn't have an end-level trigger, but if anyone wants to explore the level and see all its functions, I'll gladly put it on a file-hosting site. 8)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nqobh ... s'camp.rar Here are the level files, wrapped in a .rar file if anyone wants to test it out. Also, its called TL2 because I found the level place holder for the non-existent Trespasser Legacy 2 by Nem. I just started modifying it and it went on from there. PS, Hunters' Camp is just work in title and the level might get it's name changed in the future.
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

Double post... but it's been more than 48 hours, so, I guess I'll post. It's still relevant to the topic. Anyway, I've been working non-stop on Hunters' Camp. Fixing stuff, adding instances, creating new puzzles, triggers, and areas. Anyway, here's some pictures taken in TresEd to show what you'll see in this level. :D

The new starting area, overlooking some vast plains.

A plains observation outpost that evokes the style of Tptdac's tower in his Four Towers level. :nerd:

The gas station is now moved to the plains. Remind you of JPDS? :mrgreen:

The hunters' camp.

This little area will serve as the climax area of the level. If you look closely, you will see... Biosyn helicopters and Jeeps, and dead bodies? :o What could this mean...

Another area in the plains.

Well, that's my update, for now...
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Got the file, gonna go give it a play and a little look for you now. I'm already excited. :P

EDIT: Here's my review of the level! It's a doozy but hopefully you find it helpful. Also, VWOOP VWOOP SPOILER ALERT!
The opening of the level starts off nice enough, classic plains design. I did immediately notice the fact that you can kind of just walk out of the level if you turn around - I recommend that you add perhaps a gate or fence or rockslide (etc.) to block off the way you came in so it doesn't look bland. I was pleased to see the pteranodon flying around (something I can never seem to get working). The rock valley off to the left interested me greatly, so I went up there. I was a bit let down, to be honest - perhaps adding a music / voice over trigger or two and perhaps some more details to the crash site could make the place more interesting. Was glad to see that carbine from the Armory level used! Moving on, I passed the first use (that I know of) of the corythosaurus in a level as well...it's nice to see all those assets finally put to use!
I passed through the wall separating the jungle from the plains and continued on, finding a BioSyn tent along the way. Perhaps there could be something more added to these hard-to-find little encounter areas? Again, I feel a little bit let down when I find these interesting areas devoid of a reward or significant event. On the left of the road I found a gorge resembling the Mayan Face / Jeep scene, which brought a smile to my face. Might I suggest using the actual Mayan face model in JPDS instead of the big stone head (though that's just my opinion) :P . One thing this section of road did well was your use of actual wired power lines, which is no easy task.
I found the gas station and killed a Raptor or two, and grabbed the AK-47 on the back dumpster. Immediately after I took a right because I noticed a nice bridge in the distance, which I crossed. I noticed here that there was an awful lot of CWaterEntity's, which could explain the crashes you've been getting. I suggest you reduce their size by a bit or find another way to reduce the object size. Anyway, continuing over the river and beyond I eventually reached the Hunter Camp, which was a pretty interesting. Once more, I'll say I was hoping to find more goodies in the camp itself, but it was still neat overall. Snooped around there for a while before making my way back to the road.
Now came my favorite part of the level, the big underground tunnel. :mrgreen: I think I recognize the entrance from Tres Legacy, but it was still absolutely awesome...well, once I found the white keycard. I ran around for a while trying to find it and I simply could not, so I jumped over to TresEd and looked it up. Veeeerrrryyy sneaky hiding place, I must say, but I believe players will need to a bit more of a hint or a clue in order to find it without...well...cheating. :? Perhaps there could be a way of knowing that somebody had gotten onto the roof, like a visual indication - not too obvious, but not too obscure, either. But back to the tunnel! I grabbed the card ingame and entered the side room. The sound of a Raptor scared the pants off of me and I boogied up the ladder (through a well-hidden teleport, might I add :wink: ), exiting the tunnel and into an absolutely beautiful mine. I loved this entire sequence, and then I came across another keycard door. Naturally, I lacked the card. I searched the tunnel a bit more and couldn't find it, so back to TresEd it was. I found the card a fair ways away, which meant I had to go all the way back, which REALLY sucked for me. I think you should try moving the card closer to the tunnel area so if a player (like me) misses the card, they don't have to walk all the way to the camp and then all the way back to the tunnel. With your tunnel-making skills, why don't you try expanding the tunnel area and adding a place to hide the red card a bit closer to the red door? WE CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH TUNNEL!!!! :mrgreen:
Also, sidenote on this, I would like to suggest moving the white card to the location of the red one - this will make players explore the entire area without having to do much backtracking, as well as offer up a timely reward for finding the Hunter Camp. That way, when players enter the tunnel, they will for SURE have explored everything your level has to offer without becoming frustrated.
ANYWAY, back to the level! I grabbed the card and moved on, noticing your clever use of voiceovers there. Climbing another ladder I left the tunnel through yet another cool design choice and continued onward. Unfortunately, this last area sort of left me wondering if it was incomplete. The gate was locked, but I was able to walk around the fence instead. I was sad to say kind of glad though, because during my final check in TresEd I found the location of the Green-Blue keycard...and boy, that one would have been quite painful. I think that card needs to be moved to the area after the tunnel at least, perhaps in another place that players will explore, and into a more commonly explored location, because I never would have thought to look there. Otherwise...well...dat backtracking, dough. :( This keycard / backtracking issue was the one thing that really took away from the level for me, unfortunately. Hopefully that can be improved in newer versions!
In the "fort" type area, I was entertained by a dead guy in the portapotty (heh heh) and a very angry tyrannosaurus. It seems BioSyn have been up to something here, indeed! If this area were more complete, I think it would be a satisfying ending to your level for sure. Dodging Mr. Grumpy, I checked out the barracks and the remainder of the area - I assume this area is unfinished? I'm excited to see what it ultimately becomes and what BioSyn have been up to this time. I couldn't find an actual ending to the level so I exited out. I checked the rest of the level out in the editor to see if I'd missed anything - the only thing I noticed was a climbable tree with a G3A3 in it, which was a neat idea, but I think there needs to be some way to tell players that the tree is different and climbable in that particular area.
REVIEW...STATISTIC...THING!
Map Design: 7/10 - A cool setup and interesting ideas that made me want to keep going. Could do with a bit more detail in certain areas and perhaps a bit of variation in landscape, though overall it was solid.
Gameplay: 4/10 - Sadly, this was really killed for me by the keycard thing and lack of any other puzzles. I was kind of hoping for more dinosaur encounters as well, but that's just me.
Story: 8/10 - I liked your little hints here and there without actually giving us any exposition. The BioSyn thing at the end was also neat, and I want to see more!
Creativity: 8/10 - Given that you used limited resources, there was a lot of new ideas and such here! The tunnel was especially well thought out and put together.

OVERALL: 7/10
(I had fun)
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Keep up the good work! I'll check out your next version if you like as well. I hope this review was helpful to you - looking forward to version two!

EDIT 2: I took a look at your second post - it's looking better already! That ending scene really looks awesome now, and the new beginning seems like it will add a lot of cool new ideas. Glad to hear more puzzles are incoming too.
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

Thanks for the review. :) So I followed your suggestion, and made the tunnel have more passages. The red keycard is in the tunnels now, so you won't have to backtrack through the level. The green and blue keycard has been moved way closer to its key-reader. I've done some more work on the final area and what-not. Soon, the level will be complete, ready for playing. :P

Another announcement: does anyone want to do help edit this level? Like a joint-level creation? The first part of the level is finished: Keycards, end level triggers and that kind of thing, but I want to make the level so you have two paths. One path in which you search for the keycards, and the other path where you have to find an alternate path to the final area. This is so I can guarantee level-replay value. :mrgreen: As I said, the first path is done, but the second path needs completing. So if anyone wants to help create the second, alternate path, I'll upload the current level files and we can discuss on how to edit the second path! :D

EDIT: Here's the heavily updated level, wrapped in a .rar file. I've encountered a little problem with triggers though. In the hunters camp, I made a puzzle where you find the dead hunters' keys, you know: LaSalle P, Marden A.S., etc. It's like the unfinished Mayan artifact puzzle in JPDS~trails. Anyway, you get the key, go to the locked hunter's box, and an object enter trigger makes the top of the box open. Only problem is, when that particular trigger is fired, the game crashes. Maybe someone can look into that trigger in the level. The trigger's called "Trig_UseMardKey"

Anyway, here's the updated level, completed with an actual intActionType = 31! http://www.mediafire.com/download/9f8i2 ... mp_v.3.rar

P.S. I did a complete .swp and .pid update to give the level a larger texture size, allowing me to put in more stuff to the level. Subsequently, new textures were added in by accident. "Mr Grumpy" now has the Tres Alpha rex texture, and the soda vending machine has its original Trespasser textures, rather than the JPDS Jurassic Park vending machine. Well, that's all for now. The level is still far from completion, but at least now you can beat it!
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Thanks for the review. :) So I followed your suggestion, and made the tunnel have more passages. The red keycard is in the tunnels now, so you won't have to backtrack through the level. The green and blue keycard has been moved way closer to its key-reader. I've done some more work on the final area and what-not. Soon, the level will be complete, ready for playing. :P
Awesome, and no problem. :) I'll give it a look and tell you how it is imminently.
Another announcement: does anyone want to do help edit this level? Like a joint-level creation? The first part of the level is finished: Keycards, end level triggers and that kind of thing, but I want to make the level so you have two paths. One path in which you search for the keycards, and the other path where you have to find an alternate path to the final area. This is so I can guarantee level-replay value. :mrgreen: As I said, the first path is done, but the second path needs completing. So if anyone wants to help create the second, alternate path, I'll upload the current level files and we can discuss on how to edit the second path! :D
Sadly, I think my tiny amount of modding time is sort of set on RTJP at the moment. :sick: I'd love to help if I manage to find more spare time though.
I've encountered a little problem with triggers though. In the hunters camp, I made a puzzle where you find the dead hunters' keys, you know: LaSalle P, Marden A.S., etc. It's like the unfinished Mayan artifact puzzle in JPDS~trails. Anyway, you get the key, go to the locked hunter's box, and an object enter trigger makes the top of the box open. Only problem is, when that particular trigger is fired, the game crashes. Maybe someone can look into that trigger in the level. The trigger's called "Trig_UseMardKey"
Hmm. I'll have to look at it then. Perhaps it's bad magnets or something...
P.S. I did a complete .swp and .pid update to give the level a larger texture size, allowing me to put in more stuff to the level. Subsequently, new textures were added in by accident. "Mr Grumpy" now has the Tres Alpha rex texture, and the soda vending machine has its original Trespasser textures, rather than the JPDS Jurassic Park vending machine. Well, that's all for now. The level is still far from completion, but at least now you can beat it!
Ah, that's alright. Alpha Rex always looks cool no matter what. :wink:

EDIT: I checked out the level and gave it another playthrough, here's what I thought this time around!
The new opening segment was nice, though at the start where the S&W revolver is placed in the cabinet, I tried to pick it up and it glitched through the back of the cabinet - I don't think that's a bug in the level so much as it is the game, but I figure I'll report it anyway. The gas station was just as well placed as ever, giving a bit more detail to the level and breaking up the open terrain nicely. The "Four Towers"-tower was neat to see as well and, while ultimately it didn't give me anything new to check out, was a nice view over the plains. Can I suggest adding in a trigger to increase the fog distance when you're at the top of the tower and then lower it again when you leave so that the dramatic music and view are more impactful overall? I noticed the unfinished path running off toward the Raptor canyon, but decided to stick to the old path to check out the new changes.

First thing I checked out was the BioSyn chopper crash site with the carnotaurus - nothing really new there yet. I made my way to the jungle which looked sexy as ever and this time I climbed down into the Mayan Face canyon, stumbling across the white keycard! In my opinion, this was a much, much better placement for the card, though I'd still like a bit more of a reason to enter the Hunter Camp. I was unable to find the key to the chest so I couldn't playtest the crashing trigger, but when I looked at it in TresEd, I noticed nothing in a quick scan...you might have an incorrect ActionType or something, who knows? It's always the little things. :P If you can't fix it, you might want to just rebuild the trigger from the ground up to be safe. I've also noticed you removed to river CWaterEntity's, has that improved stability on your end at all? Also, are you running ATX Tres or Tres CE - I find the game is far, far more stable in CE (haven't crashed because of graphical overload once yet). On the note of the graphics, I feel that the concrete blocks which make up the tunnel could do with a higher CacheDist because they tend to look distorted or out of shape as you approach them - maybe double or triple could do the trick without destroying performance.

Moving on, the tunnel segment (which was MUCH more accessible) had its little improvement as well, though I think this time the card was TOO easy to find. You could create a room out of concrete blocks or something and then hide it there to make it less obvious, though the Raptor in the tunnel was a cool encounter to have. :) I also noticed you straightened out the ladders - a nice touch to make.

Made it to the barracks area easily enough, and I found the card without a problem, though the placement this time seemed a bit too random. I think it's a good idea when hiding keys and such to consider why the card might be there and what purpose the location serves. Maybe it could be counted as a spare, hidden under an out-of-place rock near the gate or in a sort of "under to doormat" location, if you get my meaning, rather than behind a rock in the jungle. :wink: Just a bit of advice to consider! Anyway, at the barracks section, it took me a while to figure out how to enter the radio room, but once I found the solution, I was pretty pleased. Good hiding job there! Turned the radio on and got a kind of odd voiceover / subtitle combo. Not sure if you wanted to cut the speech shorter or what, but it really felt a bit weird to have the Coast Guard's lines read and not spoken, though if you're doing time cutting, it's alright. I left the building and saw the Rex, and I assumed that to win I had to kill it...which unfortunately I could not do even with all of the ammo in the area. I guess the Rex's health needs to be lowered or more ammo be given in order to finish him off, so ultimately, I went to the helipad to end the level.
All in all, I feel the level is greatly improved from before, but could still do with some detailing and fleshing out. Also, the palette errors are still pretty distracting at times, so repairing those and doing another final SWP update might be important (we need Mr. Grumpy back!) And puzzles! MOAR PUZZLES! Maybe adding some obstacles or terrain features like rock-platforming or a ledge which you need to place a plank on to climb could be inserted in various places. (You have satisfied my hunger for tunnels for now :nerd: ). Altogether, I'll give the level another rating of 8/10 with the new edits. If you can find some more time to complete the secondary path, it'll be even more interesting to play through. Good work once more! :)
Last edited by TheIdiot on Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tatu
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

TrespasserGuy wrote:Only problem is, when that particular trigger is fired, the game crashes. Maybe someone can look into that trigger in the level. The trigger's called "Trig_UseMardKey"
The problem is not your trigger, as it works fine. The problem is the "box" you are using a buggy. When I try to change any script for it, or create like an magnet and add its name, TresEd freezes. Try reimporting it from some other level (not the one you used the first time). If it's from JPDS, I have no idea. Draco manage to import several objects from the beta which normally would make the game crash the game in-game if you reimported them into another level.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

Okay, Hunters' Camp has been extensively edited. Mostly in the mines area. Some new triggers have been added that will give the player quite a scare while finding keycards. Also, a puzzle I made at the start of the level will guarantee your stay in the plains to be longer. 8)

Anyway, I've decided to release a level I've worked on for the past year or so. I call it, "Mountain Road"! A lot of puzzles and places to explore. This level is almost ready to release. If people want to test it to see how it works, I'll put it on. Some last minute tweaking to the level may be needed, but only after some people have played it will I polish the level for its ready release.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/f3270 ... n_Road.rar

Here's the level .rar file. Its pretty big since the level is huge and it has custom TPAs which can be added. Enjoy! :D
mleise
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by mleise »

Damn this level is complicated. :p At first I got eaten by a raptor playing with Trespasser CE, not realizing I'm at 30 HP of 200. Then I found a key to the turbine shed, but it wouldn't start. When I finally stumbled over the room on the backside of the "motel" where the gas can is I got it. Then I switched to ATX (Twilight) and slowly began to realize I can improve my health by pressing [SPACE] with certain items in the hand, like the medkit or the mushroom. The flasks took a little longer. After I opened the little shed by the spinosaur there was seemingly nothing useful in it. "Do these flasks contain some liquid that is part of a puzzle? This is now the third I've come across. Oh wait, can you [SPACE] them?"
A little foggy for my taste, but nicely done. With the software render the fog fortunately never reaches 100%, but raptors are 50% transparent, lol.
Any idea what to do now that power is on? Jump from the palm tree and hope to hit a pile of cushions?

P.S.: The Turok images in-game, the super-dense fog ... I think I got it. Damn that game was annoying with its view distance. :mrgreen:
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

Thanks for trying my level! :) Yeah, sorry for the hard puzzles. And also for making Anne's health so low. I think that I'll fix that since you can't replenish your health in CE like ATX does. The only one that works (I think), are the medkits. These bring your health to 100/100. For the giant gorge area, you have to get SUPER creative and "logically" think. Try thinking about the giant palm tree right next to the cliff and how it can be utilized.
Did you try checking near the helipad?
Also, I wasn't trying to reference Turok. Those comics were imported by mistake from the JPDS HRS level. The fog is so dense so the valley below can be obscured until you find a way down there.