How to create/implement high resolution textures

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

How to create/implement high resolution textures

Post by Second Illiteration »

Any body out there who can give me some pointers on how this is done? I'm interested in making high res textures for some of the dino textures I created long ago.
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon
Antispam: No

Re: How to create/implement high resolution textures

Post by awesome24712 »

Well I can't really teach you to make high-res textures, but I'll give a brief walkthrough of how I did it.

1. Use CE's GUIApp to export the textures from a .scn into a dump folder in Trespasser's root folder.

2. Find the textures in that dump folder that you want to replace, then copy those into Trespasser/data/texhw/Map

3. Open the .bmp's you want to edit.

4. Convert them from Indexed Color to RGB colorspace (this is specifc to your program)

5. Scale the image up to a higher resolution, and apply whatever changes you want to give the texture more detail. For basic things like a bark texture I would apply an overlay onto the original albedo. For things like dino skins I would do something similar but more selectively, and use sharpening algorithms on the original albedo.

6. (Optional) Make the bumpmap. I would use a program like Crazybump and do some other things manually when necessary.

7. Export the image as an overriding 24-bit or 32-bit .bmp or a separate .dds image. It must have the same name as the original texture (besides the extension). For the bumpmap, you would use the double extension .bump.bmp or .bump.dds appended to the original name.

8. Test in-game, go back and make desired changes as necessary.
Check out the HL2 mod I'm helping with: Image
Visit my Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/awesome24712/
Visit my YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome24712

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Second Illiteration »

Thank you. That seems pretty straight foreward
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

7. Export the image as an overriding 24-bit or 32-bit .bmp or a separate .dds image. It must have the same name as the original texture (besides the extension). For the bumpmap, you would use the double extension .bump.bmp or .bump.dds appended to the original name.
Awesome, the extension you have to use is .norm for the bump/normal/specular maps, not .bump. Unless .bump is working for you instead. :)
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon
Antispam: No

Post by awesome24712 »

TheIdiot wrote:
Awesome, the extension you have to use is .norm for the bump/normal/specular maps, not .bump. Unless .bump is working for you instead. :)
You're right. I had to recall it by memory, so thanks for correcting me.
Check out the HL2 mod I'm helping with: Image
Visit my Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/awesome24712/
Visit my YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome24712

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]