Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

LtSten
Gallimimus
Gallimimus
Antispam: No

Flickering Screen Problem (NOT white)

Post by LtSten »

Hi all,
So, I recently discovered that my performance issues with retail Tres levels were down to me running it all in hardware mode, not software mode. I've changed the display stuff so it's now software mode, and everything runs beautifully smoothly on full 1440x900 resolution, except for one rather irritating problem:
The screen flickers from game, to a semi-transparent black screen. It's sort of a grey-ish colour. :P
This happens everywhere in-game, the menus, while actually playing, et cetera. I believe it's linked to frames, as it seems that as my frame rate changes, the rate of the flickering also changes (looking at sky means a constant 60fps, normal looking around is anywhere from 25 to 45). It would appear that there is one frame of normal, one frame of FLICKER-GO-BREAK-ME:
llllllllllllllllllll

I'm not sure exactly what's causing this, I have a feeling it may be to do with the refresh rate of my screen, although I don't have time to fiddle about with that now, so I'm opening it for discussion.. I've attached tpass.ini and atxconfig.ini for you guys to look at (inside the .zip).
atx and tpass.zip
(2.43 KiB) Downloaded 368 times
I've only tested this with Trespasser Twilight, although I presume it'd happen in retail and CE. Any suggestions?
Bringing TPA CRCs up the well, amongst other file format adventures.
Blender 3.0 TPM Plugin [Project GitHub]
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Re: Flickering Screen Problem (NOT white)

Post by Rebel »

Try changing the tex dim back to '128 and the bitDepth back to '16 and see if that makes a difference (tpas.ini file).
LtSten
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by LtSten »

Rebel wrote:Try changing the tex dim back to '128 and the bitDepth back to '16 and see if that makes a difference (tpas.ini file).
Hmm, nope, that didn't fix up anything. Thanks anyway. :cry:
Mickey
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Mickey »

Try lowering the resolution?
LtSten
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by LtSten »

Tried 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768 (or 1280xother) and 1440x900, still there.
Also tried in retail Tres (without ATX) and the problem is also there, so it's not an ATX problem.
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by RexHunter99 »

Uncheck the triple buffering option in the hardware renderer options.
~ They told me humans weren't real... I proved them wrong.
ImageAnthropology ~ A beautiful tale.
EpicZen
Carnivores Hub ~ Need the full games without all the hassle of torrents or viruses? Run on over to EpicZen's Carnivores Hub!
LtSten
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by LtSten »

RexHunter99 wrote:Uncheck the triple buffering option in the hardware renderer options.
No difference..
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by RexHunter99 »

LtSten wrote:
RexHunter99 wrote:Uncheck the triple buffering option in the hardware renderer options.
No difference..
Try configuring your video card settings. Otherwise, there is absolutely nothing I am aware of that would normally cause this issue. The only time I have encountered this issue is when I turned triple buffering on, and I've tested Trespasser on over two dozen machines.
EpicZen
Carnivores Hub ~ Need the full games without all the hassle of torrents or viruses? Run on over to EpicZen's Carnivores Hub!
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

I think it could be graphic cards issues. Have you tried running in 98 comp. mode?
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
LtSten
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by LtSten »

tatu wrote:I think it could be graphic cards issues. Have you tried running in 98 comp. mode?
Just tried a variety of compatibility options (which I'd completely forgotten about), still no difference.

Almost convinced that it must be hardware settings now... Playing around with drivers and settings and whatnot. I'll keep trying and post if there's any change. :?

Edit: It works! Beautiful smoothness. Not quite sure what fixed it. Did some driver software update stuff, and fiddled with a few graphics settings (not-in-tres). Thanks for all the suggestions and help.
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by RexHunter99 »

LtSten wrote:
tatu wrote:I think it could be graphic cards issues. Have you tried running in 98 comp. mode?
Just tried a variety of compatibility options (which I'd completely forgotten about), still no difference.

Almost convinced that it must be hardware settings now... Playing around with drivers and settings and whatnot. I'll keep trying and post if there's any change. :?

Edit: It works! Beautiful smoothness. Not quite sure what fixed it. Did some driver software update stuff, and fiddled with a few graphics settings (not-in-tres). Thanks for all the suggestions and help.
Ah I had assumed you were updating your graphics drivers, but it hadn't occured to me you might not have updated them XD
EpicZen