Trespasser Isla Sorna Size

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

RyanJP99
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Trespasser Isla Sorna Size

Post by RyanJP99 »

So I am new here and just starting to delve into the lore of Trespasser. I have a question about the size of the game's island. I know it is based on the real life Cocos Island, near Costa Rica. It has a size of about 8 km long and 3 km wide. But on this map, which is as far as I can tell the most well regarded fan map of the Trespasser Sorna, says that it is only 3 km in game:

However, unless I am mistaken this is the only official map of the island in the game, and it has a scale at the bottom that when placed along the island length-wise, it fits in nearly a perfect 5 times, and if the scale is in miles, then that means 5 miles which when converted into kilometers is, well, 8 km, the length of the real life island.

Essentially what I want to know is why the person who made this said the island in the game was the smaller size? Is there evidence to support it, did a dev say something along the lines of it, anything really. Just an answer/explanation would be really awesome.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Trespasser Isla Sorna Size

Post by machf »

Well, the actual scale is 1 in-game unit = 1 metre. That makes the island about 5.6km * 3.8km.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Yeah. I can still remember machf explaining how Xandor used some really wierd scale method regarding the length/height of a stair step in a building somewhere to determine the whole island's scale. Do disregard the fan-map's scale, and machf is right on the Tres unit measurement of 1m.

Welcome, to Trespasser 8)
RyanJP99
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by RyanJP99 »

Draconisaurus wrote:Yeah. I can still remember machf explaining how Xandor used some really wierd scale method regarding the length/height of a stair step in a building somewhere to determine the whole island's scale. Do disregard the fan-map's scale, and machf is right on the Tres unit measurement of 1m.

Welcome, to Trespasser 8)
Thanks for the welcome! So, if the scale on the in game map is in km, and because of that it is 5.6 km x 3.8 km, wouldn't that mean that the measurements from the fan made map are correct? Sorry for sounding like a noob

Edit: Nevermind, I understand what machf meant now. So the island was 5.6 x 3.8 km, or in other words 3.5 miles x 2.4 miles. I understand now. Thanks for the help guys!
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

No prob. Feel free to contribute to the island's manyfold versions ;)