Rain

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

the ARK
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Rain

Post by the ARK »

Just wondering if it is possible to impliment rain in Tres, and if so, how?
This is truly one of the most disappointing moments in gaming history. Gamers are being reduced to digging through the game's installed files to discover what was supposed to happen in the game they just bought.
the ARK
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by the ARK »

Nevermind, I should look around first:
http://dynamic5.gamespy.com/~trescom/bo ... light=rain
This is truly one of the most disappointing moments in gaming history. Gamers are being reduced to digging through the game's installed files to discover what was supposed to happen in the game they just bought.
Tresgame
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

ss

Post by Tresgame »

Hi ark how are you?
In wonted to implement rain in my level but have to what untill the contest finishes to have the Trescom level 2 then i will start and holl new project :wink:
the ARK
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by the ARK »

I'm good, you?
Tresgame
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

oh

Post by Tresgame »

ok thanks!! :wink: :wink: :wink: 8)
how is your level going?
are you entering the contest? :mrgreen:
the ARK
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by the ARK »

I'm not entering a level, just a story.
Shep
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Re: Rain

Post by Shep »

Sorry to trespass onto an abandoned post. But has rain ever been implemented? I had an idea where you take a gif like the ones for water falls and stuff and attach that to anne so wherever she walks rain will follow.
Oh, a Raptor got 'em!

tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

Shep wrote:Sorry to trespass onto an abandoned post. But has rain ever been implemented? I had an idea where you take a gif like the ones for water falls and stuff and attach that to anne so wherever she walks rain will follow.
Kinda. ATX have a function for the rain, it still rains inside buildings etc. tho. However, there are animated rain meshes in TC~test level and I believe in one of the TC levels. ED also uses them. However, you would need to put a lot of them in order to fill a level.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Shep
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Shep »

Good to know, can we also implement boats since I think the floating and flat area would be pretty easy to make a boat.
Oh, a Raptor got 'em!

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

I highly recommend watching youtube Trespasser videos sometime - it's a good exposure to what all we have accomplished over here. 8)

Here's one for EastDock - rain and all:

EDIT: Mmmm floating boat. I once tried that with a wood raft for a fellow upstart modder - it sort of... skyrockets into the air from the bounce effect of floating. To this day there hasn't been a boat in Tres AFAIK that you stand in which moves on water at the same time. I---- DURR! I just remembered that you can walk on the SS Anne B in EastDock after it has started moving... TI, better go look at that :| 'Nyways... one of these days I'm sure there will be a boat-riding segment in a level somewhere...
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

If you want to do rain in CE, it seems you may be fat out of luck though. I've tried several approaches and they're all either impractical or cause bugs.
Shep wrote:Good to know, can we also implement boats since I think the floating and flat area would be pretty easy to make a boat.
*rubs hands together* Maybe... :wink:
I---- DURR! I just remembered that you can walk on the SS Anne B in EastDock after it has started moving... TI, better go look at that :|
Wilco!
*checks*
It seems the physics for the Anne B that you can stand on aren't attached to the Anne B mesh itself. They're attached to the CEntityAttached mesh that connects to the animated Anne B. So...my god! THAT'S IT! If you attach a CEntityAttached to a CInstance that is ASA animated, in theory (am excited :| ) that means that the CInstance will lose its physics while being animated, but the CEntityAttached that is NOT animated will stay connected to the CInstance and will also retain its physics as it is just moving normally in the game world!!! 8) So to make a raft, you ASA animate, say, an invisible box, attach the raft model with physics as a CEntityAttached, hop in, start the animation and PRESTO! THIS COULD BE IT! MOVING VEHICLES! HAHA! TO THE TESTING LEVEL!
'Nyways... one of these days I'm sure there will be a boat-riding segment in a level somewhere...
*furiously rubs hands together* MAYBE! :mrgreen:
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

TheIdiot wrote:TO THE TESTING LEVEL!
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

machf wrote:
TheIdiot wrote:TO THE TESTING LEVEL!
:lol: Hit the nail right on the head!