Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-
Antispam: No

Left-handed players....

Post by Slugger »

Shower thought of the day:

Any one here left handed? Is it awkward playing Tres, having to manipulate Anne's right hand?

On a side note: could we make a left-handed model of Anne? Like just mirror her geometry and bone assignments (i.e. the right hand would be unuseable). machf did you experiment with this any when working on your replacement mesh?
0066521C: 'Cannot create local swap file - Is Trespasser installed??',0Ah,0
"Cold lino was the driving force behind world power!"
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Left-handed players....

Post by machf »

AFAIK, the player's left arm is useless, the code only allows using the right arm.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I am a lefty (SPAWN OF THE DEVIL! :thief: ), but I use the mouse with my right hand. Either way, I'm fine with the controls - it's never been a problem for me. I assume what you're really asking is more along the lines of, 'is it awkward if you were using the mouse in your left hand?'. Presumably this would be strange; I might give it a go and see what happens. My theory is that because almost every first-person game features a right-handed protagonist, you'd just kind of get used to it. :)
Vesiapina
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Vesiapina »

Why don't we have both hands. :)

With Trespasser, you can!
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Vesiapina
Woah, very nice. Either your photoshop skills are quite something, or you are a Trespasser god... :|

Oh! I played Tres the other day with my left hand on the mouse, it's really not bad at all. Despite dying a bit from being unused to left-handing the mouse, Anne's right-armedness didn't bug me in the slightest. On that note, I should say that it is quite difficult playing on the Wii with a right-handed character and holding the Wiimote in the left hand. Maybe it's because of the added freedom of movement involved, or the fact that the motions are being simulated in reverse? Playing Zelda: Twilight Princess in Wii with right-handed Link was extremely difficult and confusing, ended up on the Gamecube where the entire game is flipped around. Wii Sports is no easier. So it must just be the mouse being a less realistic way of interacting with the game world.
mleise
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by mleise »

I am left-handed, but I never bothered with learning to use the mouse with the left hand. I guess that makes me more "agile" on WASD and a little less accurate when aiming or something, but it never felt more strange to manipulate Anne's right arm as a left-handed person than to do it with keys on the left side of the keyboard (shift, ctrl).
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

I know this is an old post but I'm just now seeing it. I'm left handed and haven't even considered whether it was harder to play for me. I'm happy with how it is. My keyboard is setup the same for Half-Life too so no worries here being a Southpaw.
"I have discovered an ancient tribe of those who still hold a candle for this dead, and forgotten Videonic Gamen... the Forgotten people."
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Slugger »

Hey Dan! How's everything in South Carolina? TresCE still running fine on your Linux box?
0066521C: 'Cannot create local swap file - Is Trespasser installed??',0Ah,0
"Cold lino was the driving force behind world power!"
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Hi Slugger! Everything runs perfectly and very smooth. I understand some have been having trouble with Trespasser running under Windows 10. Maybe a dual boot with Linux might be in order to keep running Trespasser... :yes:
"I have discovered an ancient tribe of those who still hold a candle for this dead, and forgotten Videonic Gamen... the Forgotten people."
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Hey, Slugger and hello Dan. ;) I'm left-handed. But through the years, I've forced myself to be adapt at right handed tools, machines (eg. computer play), etc. Shoot a rifle right-handed, pistol, left-handed, play pool right handed and can bowl either left or right. The inner workings of my mind are obviously screwed up. lol
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Hi Rebel! You too huh? They say 99% of all left handed people have some form of genius but only 1% of us are smart enough to figure out what it is. ;)

I've forced myself to do certain things the other way too. The one I really get annoyed with is trying to use those stupid pens you have to twist to get the point out. They are made for right-handed people. When using them with your left hand, it turns the top of the pen in the opposite direction and the point keeps going away. Right handed scissors are a pain too, literally.

I do just about everything left-handed except batting and using a computer mouse. I've forced myself to learn how to use the mouse with my left hand too. A while back, I was having wrist pain in my right hand and I think running mouse with my right hand exclusively is what caused it. If I feel any stress coming on, I just switch hands and the pain subsides.
mleise
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by mleise »

Oh don't remind me of fountain pens. Ha! I was often more scratching than writing and in retrospect I wish Latin script was left-to-right. I put blotting-paper under my hand to stop the ink smearing as I approached the end of the line.

But this is a dinosaur themed forum, so here is a little story: Around that same time I noticed how book authors often omitted phrases like ", said Anne" and "Hammond replied: " (the inquit), so I approached my teacher and told her I'd like to leave these out, too after she criticized that in one of my assays. I found them to interfere with the reading flow, or maybe I was just lazy and looking for ways to save words. Whatever it was, she answered me "nay". "Only books authors are allowed to do this. You are not a book author and I want everyone to introduce direct speech with an inquit". It was clear, I had to choices: Obey or become a book author. It was the time of Jurassic Park, and I started a rip-off copying some of the same personalities, but having the group discover a lost world through a time machine. Unfortunately after the first 20 pages I lost interest and we weren't writing that many essays.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Crappy teacher.. All sorts of ways to know who is talking without inquits.
I wish Latin script was left-to-right
Erm, it's not? :|
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Rebel wrote:I'm left-handed. But through the years, I've forced myself to be adapt at right handed tools, machines (eg. computer play), etc. Shoot a rifle right-handed, pistol, left-handed, play pool right handed and can bowl either left or right. The inner workings of my mind are obviously screwed up. lol
Same here. Maybe it's just a lefty thing, our brains approach problems left-handed but we see rightys as the standard, so we want to do both. Or that's just a whack theory in itself... :wink:
mleise wrote: But this is a dinosaur themed forum, so here is a little story: Around that same time I noticed how book authors often omitted phrases like ", said Anne" and "Hammond replied: " (the inquit), so I approached my teacher and told her I'd like to leave these out, too after she criticized that in one of my assays. I found them to interfere with the reading flow, or maybe I was just lazy and looking for ways to save words. Whatever it was, she answered me "nay". "Only books authors are allowed to do this. You are not a book author and I want everyone to introduce direct speech with an inquit". It was clear, I had to choices: Obey or become a book author. It was the time of Jurassic Park, and I started a rip-off copying some of the same personalities, but having the group discover a lost world through a time machine. Unfortunately after the first 20 pages I lost interest and we weren't writing that many essays.
Wow. I'd be pissed if I were you. She was probably just jealous herself that she couldn't write worth a s***. :wink: Can't stand it when teachers think that someone with a role they envy is above everyone - had one like that before I dropped out of acting in college, thought we were all insignificant since we'll never live up to the "greats" of Shakespearean theatre (personally, I can't stand Shakespeare).
mleise
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by mleise »

Draconisaurus wrote:
I wish Latin script was left-to-right
Erm, it's not? :|
Err... right-to-left, so I don't smear the ink. :yum: