Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Trespasser with ReShade...it WORKS!

Post by TheIdiot »

TI's ReShade Settings Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/v2mjp ... eShade.rar

So it seems that ReShade, a graphical hook that allows the running of enhanced shaders on D3D8 and higher games, actually works with Tres CE! I tried to keep the coloration as close as possible to the original while still adding a cinematic final touch to everything. I can also say that the FPS loss is, on average, 2. The only place it has tanked to 30 and less is the swamp in JPDS. After a day of fiddling around with the settings (utterly clueless) then going around to various levels snapping pictures...well, just take a look.

And no, I haven't done anything to them, these are straight from the game, 100% unedited.

Beach
Jungle Road
Industrial Jungle, Tatu's version
InGen Town
Pine Valley
Laboratory (this one isn't very aesthetically exciting)
Ascent I
Ascent II (I love the fog in this level)
Summit
Beach Remake
JPDS (maybe made it a bit TOO dark)
TresCom Trilogy (the fog causes some awesome light rays)
RTJP

Of course, it's not perfect, and not every single shader works (notably, SSAO, true Depth of Field and sunshafts), but it seems that someone who actually knows what they're doing could potentially make this game look even better. This may well be the pinnacle of what Tres can look like without further rewrite of the code. I'm definitely going to keep working on this to see if I can make it look even better...could do with less bloom! What do you guys think of it?

Also, it should be noted that due to the coloration of the fog in the original levels, especially Beach and Jungle Road, the shader that is used for lens flare from the sun goes off everywhere when the fog is dense and onscreen. I've got it set to detect extremely bright lights - aka, the sun in CE's better sky feature - so the bright white fog is picked up. I'll have to go and change the fog to something less insane in those two levels before I can get better screenshots of them.
Last edited by TheIdiot on Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anna
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Re: Trespasser with ReShade...it WORKS!

Post by Anna »

Wow, I absolutely love this! It's amazing how much it improves the overall look of the game :o
Yes, my avatar is indeed a dino cookie.
Dragonlord
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by Dragonlord »

To be honest I really don't like this modification. Colors are just smearing all over the place and are totally blown out of proportion. Fog is just glaring white. The same for the sky which constantly blows out of intensity range. For some reason the colors are also smeared over entire geometry (blue trees). Textures seem crispier which might be due to some sharpening filter applied in the shader. Also bump mapping is nice as is depth of field but the rest just hurts the eyes. Like real linux people know "less" is "more" :D
Leader, Head Programmer: Epsylon | Drag[en]gine ( Wiki )
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Dragonlord wrote:To be honest I really don't like this modification. Colors are just smearing all over the place and are totally blown out of proportion. Fog is just glaring white. The same for the sky which constantly blows out of intensity range. For some reason the colors are also smeared over entire geometry (blue trees). Textures seem crispier which might be due to some sharpening filter applied in the shader. Also bump mapping is nice as is depth of field but the rest just hurts the eyes. Like real linux people know "less" is "more" :D
I actually pretty much agree with you completely. Like I said, I have no clue what I'm doing with the settings and I'm sure someone who actually understands it could do much better. The bloom could be much more subtle for sure, and the coloration could be reduced, though personally I like very vibrant colors and a little bit of color bleeding to blend things together. Can't do much about the bright white fog - I'd have to go into the actual levels and change it to something else (I really quite like the fog in the TC levels, however). The reason for crisp textures would be the use of a sharpening shader alongside 16x aniostropic (or however you spell it) filtering as well as some subtle film grain. My reason for making everything so exaggerated was just to show that all this stuff worked in the first place...think of this as more of a proof of concept. :)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

I find this to be amazing. :o Would like to see Tres like this on a computer of mine, once I get one again...

Funny thing, TC Isle doesn't look too much different there. Guess it was already pretty cinematic :lol: :D
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I find this to be amazing. :o Would like to see Tres like this on a computer of mine, once I get one again...
I guess everyone has a different view on it, then. While I do think it's cool, like I've said, I could definitely do better with the settings to make it a bit less over-the-top. Tried messing with them some more recently and I couldn't get the bloom to go down, unfortunately, so it looks like this might be the best I can do.
Radeux
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Radeux »

Hi exactly what settings did you use to get Reshade to work? I'm running on an nvidia 660ti and not having any luck getting reshade to work on Trespasser CE. No problems in other programs though.
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Slugger »

Nice work there, TheIdiot! Glad to see you're keeping busy trying to get every last drop of enhancement out of Tres's engine! :) The sky/sun effects are pretty cool; how does it know which direction for the sun?

Man, too bad Lee seems to have disappeared and didn't supply us with Tres CE's source....
0066521C: 'Cannot create local swap file - Is Trespasser installed??',0Ah,0
"Cold lino was the driving force behind world power!"
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Radeux wrote:Hi exactly what settings did you use to get Reshade to work? I'm running on an nvidia 660ti and not having any luck getting reshade to work on Trespasser CE. No problems in other programs though.
Nothing special, I just downloaded it off the ReShade main page and played around with the settings in the different CFG files. I'm not sure what you're doing differently, sadly.
Nice work there, TheIdiot! Glad to see you're keeping busy trying to get every last drop of enhancement out of Tres's engine! :) The sky/sun effects are pretty cool; how does it know which direction for the sun?
The sun effects are a combination of ReShade and the CE sky with a sun object placed in the right position (at least in the cast of my Beach remake). The light shafts and lensflares are simply generated by objects with a brightness of 250, I think, so anything that is bright white gives off the glare - hence the constant light rays that appear due to the whitish fog in the first TC level.

Anyway, I uploaded my configuration here and to the first post if anyone wants to download it. Feel free to tweak it and make it better so that it doesn't burn your retinas out. :D It only works with CE on DX9 mode, though!

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/v2mjp ... eShade.rar
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

I think these are really cool, I could see myself playing with this. On some of your screenshots though it looks like there are smudges on the screen.
Check out the HL2 mod I'm helping with: Image
Visit my Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/awesome24712/
Visit my YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome24712

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

awesome24712 wrote:I think these are really cool, I could see myself playing with this. On some of your screenshots though it looks like there are smudges on the screen.
The smudging is either the depth of field blur or the lens texture that makes it seem like the camera has little dirty spots on it. It's part of the effect, and can be disabled if you want to.
mleise
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by mleise »

Trespasser has a low poly count by todays standards and I think every bit of effect and artificial detail is worth it to hide the rough edges a bit. This really looks impressive and I agree with you about Ascent. A lot of modern games use extreme brightness to create a mystic and foggy look. How does it generate bump maps for flat objects? The big sign has a long crack while the jeep is mostly covered in noise.
The stegosaurs also look quite nice against the fog. There seems to be some sort of sun beams even without proper light shafts. Do you position the sun manually or does Trespasser use a directional light source for the terrain and ReShade recognizes that as the sun? Speaking of which, why does the terrain not use any bump-mapping?
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Trespasser has a low poly count by todays standards and I think every bit of effect and artificial detail is worth it to hide the rough edges a bit. This really looks impressive and I agree with you about Ascent. A lot of modern games use extreme brightness to create a mystic and foggy look
I do agree, Tres could use some more effects, it's just that I sort of went overboard when doing this unintentionally. I'm not a fan of the heavy bloom and HDR that most modern games use because to me it looks weirdly unrealistic.
How does it generate bump maps for flat objects? The big sign has a long crack while the jeep is mostly covered in noise.
That's the magic of CE. It allows for normal maps and high-res textures that are loaded by the game from a folder. I had to make all of those normalmaps and textures myself.
There seems to be some sort of sun beams even without proper light shafts. Do you position the sun manually or does Trespasser use a directional light source for the terrain and ReShade recognizes that as the sun?
For the sun, I had to use CE's sky effect where you create an external file for the sky that is loaded into the game - it's a bit complicated, but I had to create a sun texture and then manually position it to match the in-game shadows and lighting. The sun is so bright that ReShade picks it up as an overbright object via a shader and applies sunshafts to it. That's why in other levels with bright white fog, the sun beams come straight from the fog rather than a sun texture.
Speaking of which, why does the terrain not use any bump-mapping?
Again, that's CE. Lee Arbuco said something regarding that, though I can't remember what exactly it was - I think he said that the terrain uses a different method of rendering or something that prevents it from drawing bumpmaps, which makes sense to me because from what I gather Tres terrain is compiled into a single big texture when you load the level that is then applied to the ground in the .WTD file.
mleise
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by mleise »

TheIdiot wrote:Again, that's CE. Lee Arbuco said something regarding that, though I can't remember what exactly it was - I think he said that the terrain uses a different method of rendering or something that prevents it from drawing bumpmaps, which makes sense to me because from what I gather Tres terrain is compiled into a single big texture when you load the level that is then applied to the ground in the .WTD file.
I'm not familiar with the process either, but from the looks I would say that sprites can be added to the terrain in any orientation and those get "rendered" onto the base texture before the terrain is actually drawn. I forgot about that. You can sometimes see these upscaled and low-quality rotated textures of sand or other material on the terrain. It makes me wonder how one could utilize modern hardware here. Unfortunately I still see the "render decals 10 cm away from base surface" hack applied to avoid rounding errors when custom tailoring some small geometry for a decal on a non-flat surface. I guess I would try to reuse the base terrain triangles to avoid rounding errors and draw each patch separately in clamp-to-edge mode or a pixel shader alternative, so the patch isn't drawn repeatedly. The patches in Trespasser are mostly large and with binary transparency, so discarding pixels should be cheap.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

For the record, Trespasser already had "bumpmaps" (technically normalmaps) - CE provided upgrades to this.

Also as a note, generally speaking all "terrain objects" (and thus textures) are at the same ingame height (near Z-0). Textures get height priority based on an integer value in the script of the terrain object.