Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

Double_G
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
Antispam: No

Magazines in the intro sequence

Post by Double_G »

Inspired by hppav’s thread about locating Anne’s apartment, I wanted to see if I too can extract something interesting from Trespasser animations, so I rewatched them a couple of times until I finally noticed that there are some magazines in the seat back pockets in the intro. I couldn’t find any mention of this on the forum. I managed to find the exact magazines that can be seen in the intro. Not all of it was straightforward, as I’m not that well versed in women’s magazines. The titles of GQ (I thought it was GO or GG) and Mademoiselle were especially hard to figure out from the highly compressed low-res video :lol:

Here’s a list of all the magazines that can be seen in the intro:
  • VOGUE from September 1998 featuring Renée Zellweger on the cover
  • GQ from August 1998 featuring Liv Tyler
  • Mademoiselle from September 1998 featuring Neve Campbell
  • GLAMOUR from September 1998 featuring an unnamed woman on the cover. (This one was a bit tricky, because most of the cover was obscured by another magazine, but it’s the only GLAMOUR magazine from that time with the nameplate written in dark blue.)
  • PC Gamer from September 1998. (Also tricky, but luckily that big yellow 10 on the cover was just barely visible from under Mademoiselle, which made it easier to identify.)
Image Image
Image Image
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Re: Magazines in the intro sequence

Post by Hilwo »

Cool, very nice finds! :D

Edit: That's some real Twilight Zone stuff, by the way. Seeing as Trespasser took place on Friday, May 1st, 1998 - before any of those mags had been released :razz:
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

That is really nice. It also gives us a clue that the intro was made very late in development :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Wow Anne's plane might have been from the future. :pirate: When she came back to the mainland, possibly lots of time had passed Lol..
MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

Hilwo wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:12 pmThat's some real Twilight Zone stuff, by the way. Seeing as Trespasser took place on Friday, May 1st, 1998 - before any of those mags had been released :razz:
If I'm not mistaken there's a voice line referring to an episode of the Twilight Zone, found in the harbor warehouse and mentions how that guy was an astronaut.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Huh actually, at least in retail, the Twilight Zone voiceover is in the town. You might be thinking of "It's like a scene from the end of the world..."
codemuk3y
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by codemuk3y »

Amazing
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" Isaac Newton
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

tatu wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:49 pm That is really nice. It also gives us a clue that the intro was made very late in development :)
Yep, that's the first thing I thought after seeing the dates too...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

It's funny, when hppav posted about the apartment, I was going to joke and say "now try and figure out what the magazines on the plane are!" And you did it!

Great work!

I might have to scatter these throughout my VR game and have them as collectibles.
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

Really great work 8)
s13n1 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:22 pm It's funny, when hppav posted about the apartment, I was going to joke and say "now try and figure out what the magazines on the plane are!" And you did it!

Great work!

I might have to scatter these throughout my VR game and have them as collectibles.
And I would have done it too :lol: I just hadn't looked that closely at the crash sequence yet. Not a lot going on due to the lack of characters or anything outside of the plane. Still no explanation for what exactly happened to it. Just that the engines clearly failed and it crashed into the water and broke into a bunch of pieces, with the really undersized looking tail sitting on the beach and floating door (which I wonder if that's a reference to Titanic in some way lol).
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I used to think that was a door. According to names for the obj it is actually some driftwood. There's even a blue piece lol. Wood planes as canon anyone?
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:33 pm Wood planes as canon anyone?
Maybe it was a really old plane? Airframes used to be made of wood. We only see the interior of the plane so it's possible it was a really old one on lease for whatever tour company Anne was flying with.

...now that begs the question. Can we identify the actual model of aircraft she was flying aboard? The interior is pretty decently visible in the intro cutscene. I've always pictured a twin-engine 1960s-70s era Cessna - not sure if the engine noise is audible in the cutscene but that would help whittle down the options if propeller or jet engine noise was obvious. I wouldn't go by the model of the tail seen on the beach as it's not really realistic in scale or design, unless she was aboard an ultralight or something. :P
tatu

Post by tatu »

I always thought it was a door as well. But as Draco said, the objects are named driftwood. I don't think they had anything to do with the planes. They are just driftwood from peoples litter. Maybe they blew out to sea during the hurricane :)

Reminder that we also have the propeller and wheel from the airplane. The wheel is also in build 96 BE, but otherwise JR 32 and 55 have them as well. :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Forgot about the propeller model. And well I am doubting we have enough to go from to guess the actual plane model, but I could be mistaken.