A new Trespasser patch/update (Trespasser CE)

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: A new Trespasser patch/update (Trespasser CE)

Post by machf »

Draconisaurus wrote: machf, tested your settings, no change in pop distance.
Why is it that in your settings there was no video card selected?
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

TI, the cheat entered but yielded no pop distance change.

machf - possilby because this pos laptop has none. It runs things surprisingly well but it is what it is.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Run the Trespasser demo. Let it detect the video card and select it. Yes, even though the laptop doesn't have a "real" video card, it features a video device or it wouldn't be able to display anything at all. Use that tpass.ini file as the basis for everything else.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Video GUID=0000000000000000000000000000000000
D3D GUID=E03DE684AA46CF11816F0000C020156EAA
Video Driver=Primary Display Driver (display)

Presume that's it. That's when selecting hardware over software.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Well, keep that and try the custom trespasser.ini now in the same folder. And load your level there.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Did you ever manage to fix your issue..?
TI, the cheat entered but yielded no pop distance change.
:? Huh. There must be something more to it, then. Something hardware related seems likely, in which case this is outside my expertise...I've played CE on a laptop with an awful integrated graphics chipset in the past and didn't have a problem getting any of the CE DX9 functions working. Don't really know what to say. :cry:
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I'm guessing he isn't really using hardware mode... not properly, at least.
I've got the suspicion that he may have installed Trespasser (performing a HDD install, I guess), then pasted a tpass.ini file right into the Trespasser folder, and pasted the Tres CE executable in there too. Which is the wrong way to do it.
You perform the HDD install, then (optionally) run Trespasser, set your video card. Then you paste the Tpasss CE executable into Trespasser folder, run it, change your graphics settings (if you didn't set your video card previously, do it now). Then you DON'T paste a tpass.ini file in there - your settings are in the registry. If you DO want to use a tpass.ini file, what you MUST do at this stage is copy the (UNMODIFIED) tpass.ini file PROVIDED WITH TRES CE INSIDE THE /DOC FOLDER into your Trespasser folder, and run the game again. That will automatically copy the registry settings into the tpass.ini file, and you can edit it afterwards, since Tres CE will use the settings from that file instead those in the registry from then on.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Well then. That should assist some things. I am sort of on burn out from all this atm and will have to try it later.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

So. Who here knows how to create a stars.dat file for CE?

EDIT: Alright so, apparently it was in the TestScnNght example level Lee put together - grabbed it from Tatu. So Lee described that we could specify a specific time, anywhere and anywhen on Earth, for the star display. However I see no option for entering a date. Anyone know how this works? Here's the file:

https://app.box.com/s/ijx01b853v626b49u7jyk5xf8hyrnstq
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote:So Lee described that we could specify a specific time, anywhere and anywhen on Earth, for the star display. However I see no option for entering a date. Anyone know how this works?
Read the "enhanced-sky-reference.txt" found in the patch archive under "stars".
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Think I have stars figured for now..

Sooo next issue. I can't get any level to have EAX audio environments in CE. Help?

Code: Select all

;------------
[SoundOpenAL]
;------------

UseAL=False

Device=Generic Software

DisableEAX=False

DisableAllReverb=False
EDIT: Bad news - JPDS (using ATX with no CE ever added) doesn't have EAX working, either...

EDIT2: Success! Tatu showed me to an AL thingy to install. Reverb is a go.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Bad news - JPDS (using ATX with no CE ever added) doesn't have EAX working, either...
A little note on this - it seems CE doesn't play the sounds from custom .TPA files created using TPA Reader correctly, in that the attentuation simply does not work. You can be fifty feet away from a creature and it will sound like it's right next to you. I've never experienced this issue with retail TPAs. That being said, TPAs made using the EffectsEditor that came with CE seem to work perfectly, provided you custom-set all of the attentuation values in the editor.
So. Who here knows how to create a stars.dat file for CE?
No idea, I tried it once a while ago but ran into the same question you're asking. Ultimately, I just used a huge, tiled star texture on a layer of CE clouds on top of a black background to make it look like night. Personally, I think THAT level of detail with the stars is a bit unnecessary.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Well, the CE test scene night linked above has the CE stars in full working order.
Lee Arbuco
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Lee Arbuco »

So did changing CACHEDIST in the console not affect any objects at all, or just not the pyramid?

In other words, if you just load up any old standard level location, and set CACHEDIST 5 then CACHEDIST 500, there is no difference on objects in view? (Depending on situation and settings the differences may be subtle, but when looking closely and switching back and forth between the distances one should be able to spot that it does switch between objects and sprites.)

Also posting your "trespasser.log" after having run a level couldn't hurt.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Well my original tests were exclusive to a specific, massive, distant pyramid, in part because that was the object I wanted to not be a sprite from the entrance to its valley. I gave up and later visited a crevice full of crystals and the low settings I'd left on were extremely evident, as most were sprites even a few feet away. So basically the only actual issue seems to be this massive distant object thing. I'm not sure what can be done to fix it.

Also we were having serious trouble getting anything in the squirrel code to work, even from our resident expertish programmer. They were able to get a rudimentary understanding of what it was supposed to do but little to no success in execution. Would be nice to have some sort of primer and maybe some additional working examples.