A new Trespasser patch/update (Trespasser CE)

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: A new Trespasser patch/update (Trespasser CE)

Post by tatu »

According to the CE notes IIRC an issue of too many vets/faces in a scene should result in objects not to load instead of a crash.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

tatu wrote:According to the CE notes IIRC an issue of too many vets/faces in a scene should result in objects not to load instead of a crash.
I don't think that's the problem, though. It's crashing before I even get into the level during the load screen. If there are too many objects, you can usually get into the level first before it crashes - although evidently even that isn't foolproof because I've had levels crash in CE due to too many objects.
tatu

Post by tatu »

TheIdiot wrote:
tatu wrote:According to the CE notes IIRC an issue of too many vets/faces in a scene should result in objects not to load instead of a crash.
I don't think that's the problem, though. It's crashing before I even get into the level during the load screen. If there are too many objects, you can usually get into the level first before it crashes - although evidently even that isn't foolproof because I've had levels crash in CE due to too many objects.
I guess you might have checked. But I suggest you enable the highest error setting in the .ini file and check the log file. Usually it is good enough. I would also suggest to load it in GUIApp and see if the same thing happens, as GUIApp for some reason sometimes loads levels that crash otherwise.

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

tatu wrote:
TheIdiot wrote:
I guess you might have checked. But I suggest you enable the highest error setting in the .ini file and check the log file. Usually it is good enough. I would also suggest to load it in GUIApp and see if the same thing happens, as GUIApp for some reason sometimes loads levels that crash otherwise.
I've tried it in GUIApp as well, crash right after loading this mesh. It gives the usual "too many polys" error, which can be skipped with all the other models which are too high-poly, and then crashes.

These are all of the errors in the output log - not really sure what to make of them, as it doesn't tell me specifically what went wrong:

Code: Select all

ASSERT: code 1004 at 2272:
Assertion failed!
(SRaptorCrate00-00)

Mesh has at least 3 degenerate polygons

Line #: 2272
ASSERT: code 1004 at 2366:
Assertion failed!
(SRaptorCrate00-00)

Mesh has 9 degenerate vertex normals

Line #: 2366
ASSERT: code 1015 at 930:
Critical assertion failed!
(SRaptorCrate00-00)

.\Source\Lib\GeomDBase\Mesh.cpp

Line #: 930
DEV: "SRaptorCrate00-00" has 3063 polygons but no LODs
The first two errors are ones that I see in a lot of models, which are just optimization failures on the part of the modeller. The "code 1015" message is different, and is what results in the crash, yet I don't know what a "code 1015" even is because it doesn't describe it. My guess is that it's the "too many polys" error, but again, I didn't think that should be a problem, unless the actual face limit is somewhat lower than 3072 (the model has 3068). Any ideas?

EDIT: Okay, so I made a copy of the level and started fiddling around with high-poly objects. First, I deleted the RaptorCrate and left everything else as-is; the level worked. Then, I imported a sphere with just under 4000 faces into the level in its place; still crashed. So next, I went and deleted the 2 VMoretonBayFig models in the level, each of which are just over the poly limit, and re-imported the crate. Now the level works. Then I imported the spheres; again, the level worked. Imported the figs, and bam, it works again! So I deleted the spheres and imported one more mesh which is UNDER the poly limit, and all of a sudden, crash again. :| I then deleted one of the high-poly Fig trees, and now the level loads. So clearly something weird is going on with the game loading high-poly models. It seems the game is trying to load too many polys overall during the loading process and it's crashing.
None of these models were anywhere near the play area. They were all off in the corner safely out of the way so that they wouldn't overburden the game while looking around. I think I'll have to break down some of my high-poly models into low-poly ones; right now, the level has 7 models with 2048+ polys. I can easily fix that, but it's a bit disappointing to find out that these models are potentially too unstable to use in larger quantities. :cry:

In other words, in the future we should try and avoid using high-poly models if you can as they might start to lower the stability of the level as it becomes more detailed. Just break your models into seperate meshes instead of making them all one big mesh - it's much safer that way as CE seems to handle lots of objects on the screen at once very well.

Lee, is there anything you might be able to do to fix this? The crash seems to be occuring right at the end of the loading phase, just before the level starts, NOT in the middle of the loading bar where it would usually crash if you had high-poly models in retail.

Edit 2: GeomAdd's log of high-poly objects, just to see how many objects were over the limit and by how much:

Code: Select all

ERROR: 2791 triangles in mesh DianeAttach00-00 (can't be more than 2048)
ERROR: 2823 triangles in mesh DianeBody00-00 (can't be more than 2048)
ERROR: 2722 triangles in mesh SPerimFencePylon00-00 (can't be more than 2048)
ERROR: 4032 triangles in mesh SJPACGate00-00 (can't be more than 2048)
ERROR: 3051 triangles in mesh SRaptorCrate00-00 (can't be more than 2048)
ERROR: 2270 triangles in mesh VMoretonBayFigWide00-00 (can't be more than 2048)
ERROR: 2368 triangles in mesh VMoretonBayFig00-00 (can't be more than 2048)
tatu

Post by tatu »

The first two errors are ones that I see in a lot of models, which are just optimization failures on the part of the modeller. The "code 1015" message is different, and is what results in the crash, yet I don't know what a "code 1015" even is because it doesn't describe it. My guess is that it's the "too many polys" error, but again, I didn't think that should be a problem, unless the actual face limit is somewhat lower than 3072 (the model has 3068). Any ideas?
Hm yeah. The first one appears in most older original levels as well. Usually means there are parts that make the texture stretch or similar. Pro tip: When importing an object from 3ds Max into a level, those errors are not noticeable for some reason. However, by importing it, then export it and reimport it again you can see those issues.

I wonder if the devs had that issue, as I believe one of the documents mention that the artist should split up higher poly models.

Robert Muldoon
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Robert Muldoon »

I don't know if its just me or my old XP computer, but when i downloaded Direct X 9 and ATX mod the game looked way better and ran better.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Robert Muldoon wrote:I don't know if its just me or my old XP computer, but when i downloaded Direct X 9 and ATX mod the game looked way better and ran better.
This is the CE patch and not ATX. I don't think ATX have any stability fixes but it does make it look better with the increased draw distance. :)

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Hm yeah. The first one appears in most older original levels as well. Usually means there are parts that make the texture stretch or similar. Pro tip: When importing an object from 3ds Max into a level, those errors are not noticeable for some reason. However, by importing it, then export it and reimport it again you can see those issues.
That errors is specifically cause by polygons which have an area of 0, i.e. vertices which are floating in space on their own. You can safely delete these faces, which will get rid of the error and reduce the polycount of your model. I would definitely not suggest importing-exporting-importing with custom models, because custom models will have their normals broken when doing so.
I don't know if its just me or my old XP computer, but when i downloaded Direct X 9 and ATX mod the game looked way better and ran better.
There are some settings you have to tweak in the Trespasser.ini file in order to get CE looking as good as it can. By default, it will probably only look like vanilla Tres. I assure you that CE can and will look better than ATX if you tweak it appropriately. :)
tatu

Post by tatu »

TheIdiot wrote:
That errors is specifically cause by polygons which have an area of 0, i.e. vertices which are floating in space on their own. You can safely delete these faces, which will get rid of the error and reduce the polycount of your model. I would definitely not suggest importing-exporting-importing with custom models, because custom models will have their normals broken when doing so.
While I agree on that you should not export-import thing, it is the a help when fixing the mesh. I used to get that error with all my models I made in Sketchup until I noticed it was because Sketchup doesn't work in triangles like 3ds Max does, so when I imported the object into 3ds Max it made those triangles, and by that messing up the textures. However, making my own fixed that issue, so it can't have to do with the polygons. While the objects looked great in the first import, the reimport allowed me to notice "issues" with it so I could fix them if possible, which I rather do in case people wanna use the stuff ;)

You could use the Asset Debugger or Batch Debugger from the source files to discover those errors in 3ds Max actually. They are reported as "Degenerated Faces". Worth noting with them is that both will report that objects have bad UV textures, even on the official models we have :yum:

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

tatu wrote:
Robert Muldoon wrote:I don't know if its just me or my old XP computer, but when i downloaded Direct X 9 and ATX mod the game looked way better and ran better.
This is the CE patch and not ATX. I don't think ATX have any stability fixes but it does make it look better with the increased draw distance. :)
Give him a break! He's been dead 25 years on some timelines, he's got catching up to do.
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

We seriously need a fix for the ground texture blurring problem that plagues trespasser.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

glitchhunter09 wrote:We seriously need a fix for the ground texture blurring problem that plagues trespasser.
There are multiple ground blurring issues, actually...one of them is caused by the level having too few vertices in its terrain, and the large vertices end up rendering with blurry terrain. The other is very strange and doesn't seem to have a distinct cause - it results in large areas being super blurry and the game stuttering.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

As well some trnobjs have CacheMull (?) values assigned. The little brown/yellow-moss rock squares in Demo will sometimes blur-out.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Hey again, Lee. I have encountered what appears to be a major problem with the Tres engine with one of my levels - I have a lot of meshes in the level, many of which are fairly detailed, and from the testing tatu and I have done, it seems I have run into some kind of per-level face limit which causes the level to crash. This is what we have come to assume the error is as you can delete 1000 polys-worth of models and have the level load, but if you add in new meshes with greater than that value of polys, the level will always crash. You can create as many instances as you want in the level; the meshes themselves are what cause the problem.

Tatu summed it up well:
First of, it is not the model itself that causes the issue. However, it is part of the issue. I believe you have exceed the limit of faces allowed in a level by less than 1,000 faces. The reason I know that is because you can delete any other meshes that is a total of less than 1,000 faces with the Raptor Cage left and it will load. I tried with various ones, even deleting 3 different tree meshes allows the level to load. It is tied to meshes however, as copying a high poly one into several instances does not effect it.
According to tatu, the error is "during "Load Pass 1" and gives the error: "code 1015 at 171"." This is an error we have not seen before, and are unsure of what exactly it means.

Would you be able to fill us in on exactly what this error is, and whether or not an update to CE might prevent it? As it stands right now, if this problem persists and turns out to be what we think it might be, all of my RTJP project becomes practically impossible in the Tres engine due to the number of meshes required.
tatu

Post by tatu »

I wanna add a note: That error only comes up as the last error notification box when loading the level in GUIApp. And it for some reason does not include or writes it in the debug log.