A new Trespasser patch/update (Trespasser CE)

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: A new Trespasser patch/update (Trespasser CE)

Post by machf »

Hmmm, no... well, it's based on the 1.0 code, though the author has tried to correct whatever problems patch 1.1 corrected, too.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Lee Arbuco
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Lee Arbuco »

I'd say it's "compatible" in the sense that you should run CE with a 1.1 patched install, so that you get all the resource/map fixes for 1.1.

CE has some of the 1.1 code fixes as well, but there may be one or two missing. That shouldn't discourage anyone though IMHO. You should look at it this way, that if you compared two lists of fixes from 1.1 and CE, then the CE list is a whole lot bigger / heavy-weight.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Hey, Lee, I have a request, but it's for the Effects Editor rather than the Trespasser executable itself. Do you mind if I explain it here?
(although, now that I think of it, it could apply to Trespasser and GUIapp, too...)
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Lee Arbuco
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Lee Arbuco »

machf wrote:Do you mind if I explain it here?
Go ahead.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

Lee Arbuco wrote:I'd say it's "compatible" in the sense that you should run CE with a 1.1 patched install, so that you get all the resource/map fixes for 1.1.
I would actually say don't use the big 1.1 patch with the level fixes. Mainly they are really minor, and they mess up if you wanna edit the retail levels. The only change you will really notice in-game with those level fixes are that Wu's microwave got deleted. There is no really bug fixing or script editing that is worth it.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Lee Arbuco wrote:
machf wrote:Do you mind if I explain it here?
Go ahead.
OK... you know how, despite my efforts, we don't yet know the names of *all* the sounds stored in the various TPA files, all we still know for some of them is their CRC-32 hash? It would be great if we could use that hash itself to refer to them, too. I mean, representing it in hexadecimal with some prefix... not sure what it should be, yet, but it must be a combination not used by other strings. Maybe the old "0x" or "&h" prefixes would do. So, whenever that prefix is detected at the start of the string, instead of calculating the CRC-32 of the whole string, you take the hexadecimal value that follows and evaluate it. Oh, and that could work with texture names in the PID/SWP files, too, not just sound names in the TPA files...
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

tatu wrote:
Lee Arbuco wrote:I'd say it's "compatible" in the sense that you should run CE with a 1.1 patched install, so that you get all the resource/map fixes for 1.1.
I would actually say don't use the big 1.1 patch with the level fixes. Mainly they are really minor, and they mess up if you wanna edit the retail levels. The only change you will really notice in-game with those level fixes are that Wu's microwave got deleted. There is no really bug fixing or script editing that is worth it.
Nah, the only thing complicated about the Big Patch is that it adds the patched level files in a separate folder (since the original game has them in the CD-ROM, and no patch could modify the contents of a CD-ROM, of course) and adds a registry entry pointing to that folder, which the 1.1 executable can interpret adequately (BTW, does CE do that too?). But if you're using a HDD-install (and I'd say that's the usual practice nowadays), since you've already copied the contents of the CD-ROM to your HDD, you can overwrite the files copied from the original CD-ROM with the ones from the Patch folder and delete the Patch folder itself, also deleting the corresponding registry entry... if you do that you won't have any problem editing the levels. It's as if you were creating a new CD-ROM with the patched files, in fact...
Lee Arbuco
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Lee Arbuco »

machf wrote:a registry entry pointing to that folder, which the 1.1 executable can interpret adequately (BTW, does CE do that too?).
Yes it has support for the "Patch Dir" registry entry. It's also fine to set up the 1.1 files as a mod by adding the directory to "ModPaths" (as the last dir entry) in "tp_mod.ini". That's what I've done.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Hey, Lee, I just hit a snag while using GUIapp to convert a .TRR file into a .WTD file. Here's a quote from the end of GUIapp.log:
ASSERT: code 1015 at 171:
Critical assertion failed!

.\Source\Lib\Sys\W95\FastHeap.cpp

Line #: 171
Turns out that while processing the vertices and faces of this .TRR file (which are A LOT), the heap runs out of space (the whole 64MB) a little past half the file...
Is there some way to increase the heap size?
Lee Arbuco
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Lee Arbuco »

From what I can see that error isn't some tres internal heap running out of memory, it's an Windows alloc call failing. From a quick look I can imagine two alternatives. Either the conversion process is using so much mem that you're running into the ~2GB limit that 32-bit processes have, or there's maybe some invalid value involved somewhere and it tries to allocate a 0 byte block or a one that has some silly size.

You could try and look at the memory use by the guiapp process in the Windows Task Manger, while you do the conversion. If it starts ticking up memory above 1.5 GB then the process is running out of mem.

If that isn't it then I might be able to tell more if I tried converting that TRR myself.

There is a method for 32-bit Windows applications to squeeze out a little extra memory, up to 3GB or so, when running them on 64-bit Windows. It's however not guaranteed to work without issues. Google enabling "large address aware" for that.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Lee Arbuco wrote:From what I can see that error isn't some tres internal heap running out of memory, it's an Windows alloc call failing. From a quick look I can imagine two alternatives. Either the conversion process is using so much mem that you're running into the ~2GB limit that 32-bit processes have, or there's maybe some invalid value involved somewhere and it tries to allocate a 0 byte block or a one that has some silly size.
I was afraid it might be something like that.

I've noticed it happens when the terrain has over 1048576 polygons... terrains with less are no problem.

Lee Arbuco wrote: You could try and look at the memory use by the guiapp process in the Windows Task Manger, while you do the conversion. If it starts ticking up memory above 1.5 GB then the process is running out of mem.

If that isn't it then I might be able to tell more if I tried converting that TRR myself.
Thanks, I'll take a look.
Lee Arbuco wrote: There is a method for 32-bit Windows applications to squeeze out a little extra memory, up to 3GB or so, when running them on 64-bit Windows. It's however not guaranteed to work without issues. Google enabling "large address aware" for that.
I wonder if this is related to what someone posted here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11111
tatu

Post by tatu »

machf wrote:
Lee Arbuco wrote: There is a method for 32-bit Windows applications to squeeze out a little extra memory, up to 3GB or so, when running them on 64-bit Windows. It's however not guaranteed to work without issues. Google enabling "large address aware" for that.
I wonder if this is related to what someone posted here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11111
Yes it is!

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
tatu

Post by tatu »

I have two questions, which I can't understand.

I have a level with 70,000 objects in it. There are no errors and it should be able to run just fine. We do know the default Trespasser engine have a limit of something at 65,000 objects before it crash on load. The same thing however, seem to apply to the CE patch. What I do find weird is that the CE version of GUIApp seems to load the same level (that crash with the game engine) just fine, without any issues.

This also comes to my second question. Having a level with 70,000 objects crash on load. However, having a level with 74,000 objects, where 40,000 of them are terrain objects, it doesn't crash.

Note: The level with 70k objects was spread out on an area of BE to IJ, between a height of 0-5000.
The level with terrain objects was spread out on an area of 30,000 x 30,000 and a height of 0-3000. But I don't believe this matters when a level crash on loading.

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I was chatting with Tatu while this facet of the engine was being tested. From my vantage point, the facts seem pretty straight forward. Trespasser does not count terrain objects toward the maximum object limit. Kind of handy and definitely due to their being not rendered as actual objects ingame. Hmm to get a "sans TrnObjs" object count, simply turn all object types other than TrnObj (including Occlusions) on, Select All, and look at the selection count in the lower left.

Not sure what to say about the GUIApp variance 'twas found. Guess it contains a critical flexibility.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Seems all three of us are in on this discussion then. :P Iiii'm still a bit wary of taking the object count without terrain objects, though. What if we made a level with a lot of regular objects, say 40000ish, and 100000+ TrnObjs? Would the level still work?