A new Trespasser patch/update (Trespasser CE)

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-
Antispam: No

Re: A new Trespasser patch/update (Trespasser CE)

Post by Slugger »

Hey Lee, question/feature request: I've only given the scripting documentation are cursory glance, but is it possible to either be able to either specify the filename of saved game or have the engine return the filename of the last saved game? I would think that would be a requirement to be able to revisit levels.
0066521C: 'Cannot create local swap file - Is Trespasser installed??',0Ah,0
"Cold lino was the driving force behind world power!"
Lee Arbuco
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Lee Arbuco »

TheIdiot wrote:is there a document included in the new version for reference when using the Squirrel language? And those new keybinds will be so incredibly useful in the future...perhaps my dream of an Inventory is finally possible, alongside a HUD, spitting dilophosaurus, and a couple of other things.
Scripting documentation and samples are found in "doc\scripting\". For the squirrel language itself the doc has an URL to the squirrel site. There is a rudimentary script sample for a spitting dino.
the sound distance bug is still present in the older build, where a dinosaur that is far away will have the same sound volume as up close. Was that fixed for this version?
I'm afraid I can't say. I'm unsure if that doesn't happen for me, or I just didn't notice or if it was fixed longer ago. If you could try and let me know that would be great.

Slugger wrote:is it possible to either be able to either specify the filename of saved game or have the engine return the filename of the last saved game? I would think that would be a requirement to be able to revisit levels.
That's currently not possible. Even if it were I would think it would be hard to pull off in any nice form from script. There would have to be engine support otherwise things would break, like for example game scripts persistency across a campaign. If you just loaded a save normally when revisting a level it would also load the game script states from that, which breaks their function. I think there are also some other "tweaks" needed to handle those loads a bit differently.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Still haven't tried it out yet. However, I have a future request (which I know a lot of people want). If there is any way for the game to read the terrain textures with better quality, that would be awesome. That's one of the few stuff I miss, cause you can make the game look better, but as long as you can't do that to the terrain objects.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Slugger »

tatu wrote:Still haven't tried it out yet. However, I have a future request (which I know a lot of people want). If there is any way for the game to read the terrain textures with better quality, that would be awesome. That's one of the few stuff I miss, cause you can make the game look better, but as long as you can't do that to the terrain objects.
I believe Lee has answered this one already. I think the issue he ran into was how the engine baked all the different terrain texture layers together and stored the composite texture.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Lee Arbuco wrote:
the sound distance bug is still present in the older build, where a dinosaur that is far away will have the same sound volume as up close. Was that fixed for this version?
I'm afraid I can't say. I'm unsure if that doesn't happen for me, or I just didn't notice or if it was fixed longer ago. If you could try and let me know that would be great.
It definitely still happens, I just tested it. Now this was using custom dinosaur sounds in a new TPA file, so it is possible that fan-made TPAs are read differently by the game engine. I am certain I imported them as .eft in TPA Reader as well. Will have to test this on the original game.
tatu wrote:Still haven't tried it out yet. However, I have a future request (which I know a lot of people want). If there is any way for the game to read the terrain textures with better quality, that would be awesome. That's one of the few stuff I miss, cause you can make the game look better, but as long as you can't do that to the terrain objects.
This I believe is the final thing that needs to be changed in order for CE to truly maximize the graphical quality of Tres. The terrain just looks terrible, no matter how hard you try and texture it. Granted, it CAN look quite nice depending on the quality of the textures, pixel size, etc, but it always lacks the power of bumpmapping the other textures have. The only workaround to this I can think of would be to import the terrain as an actual object in your level over the regular terrain, but this would result in the shadows not appearing so that's definitely a no-no.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Lee, welcome back!

Great to see CE worked on again. As the current go-to Tres engine upgrade, it's important that it be currently-updated as time goes.
I want to say - there has been some request for the source code to this bad-boy. Any chance of that or need it remain unreleased?

SMK video playback - SWEET!

I have to wonder who all here will ultimately take advantage of a scripting engine we are unfamiliar with...

TI - I remember commenting on the superb appearance of terrain in your current mods. Your comment confuses me.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

TI - I remember commenting on the superb appearance of terrain in your current mods. Your comment confuses me.
I believe that's a combination of using high terrain settings in the level itself, being very nitpicky about the quality of the textures (I tend to try and make them sharp and covered in lots of noise), and CE's increased terrain detail options. However, I would still like to be able to use textures larger than 256x as well as add bumpmaps to the terrain through the hardware feature of CE.
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Slugger »

Draconisaurus wrote:I want to say - there has been some request for the source code to this bad-boy. Any chance of that or need it remain unreleased?
Lee has indicated several times that while TresCE is still in active development, he won't be releasing the source. He can keep it in active development as long as he wants, with all of the fantastic improvements and additions he's done!
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Well at least Trespasser now has a reason to kill my computer. jk
Shodan09
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Shodan09 »

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. I often play the game around Christmas time because to this day I think it's been the most excited I've ever been to get a game for Christmas! Anyway, I was going through my usual annual play through and found this site and this amazing mod. I've registered firstly to say thanks to the creator and secondly to ask advice if possible -

The patch works great on the first level, perfect draw distance, smooth 60fps at 4k (something I never would have imagined for this particular game) however, when I load any level bar the first beach section all the polygons are replaced with solid red colours. It looks kind of cool, a bit like Bound but I'm wondering if there's any way to fix this?

I tried a search and found nothing but may well have used it incorrectly. I've tried reinstalling the patch and the full game, I've also tried using the HQ version and normal DX 9 version. If I run the game using the normal exe it will run correctly in software mode.

I've attached a picture:
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Hmmm... I don't know. Maybe it has something to do with this in the troubleshooting.txt file?
Problem:
Display mode fails to set or there are discolorations (on some
integrated video cards such as Intel).
Solutions:
* If you're running without DX9 then try DX9 (enable "UseDX9").
* Update display drivers.
* Disable "Enable10bitDisplay" to prevent the game from running in
enhanced 10-bits-per-channel RGB mode, if it has been enabled
(DX9 only).
* Disable multisampling ("MultiSamplingLevel") (DX9 only).
* If you're running in DX9 mode then try without DX9 (disable "UseDX9").
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Shodan09
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Shodan09 »

Thanks for the suggestions but no luck sadly.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Just to make sure, last night I played the first 3 levels from the start, and nothing happened, they alll loaded fine after I finished the precedent ones. So, it looks like whatever happens, it has to do with your hardware. What happens if you alt-tab out of the game and back?
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Lee Arbuco
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Lee Arbuco »

Run the game and load a level where you see that red stuff. Then quit the game and post the trespasser.log file.

Then it could be of interest to see if the issue related to the high resolution. Does the same thing happen if you play at around half of your current res (2k)?
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Shodan09, it looks to me like something is wrong with the level's SWP, SPZ and PID files. Does this occur in every level, or just the second one? Can you perhaps test out some other levels and report back? It is possible that something has gone wrong with the game's files themselves.