Help with installing Tres on Windows 10

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Help with installing Tres on Windows 10

Post by TrespasserGuy »

So a while ago I recently got a new copy of Trespasser from Amazon. Currently I'm in college and would like to work on some Tres modding if and when I get free time for my studies. Me being in college now is also why you haven't really seen any new Tres content from me as of late :| . But anyway, I've been having troubles getting Tres working on my Windows 10 laptop, and I would also like to get CE working on here so I can get some of my modding urges out of the way :lol: So if anyone can come up with a comprehensive guide for installation of both the game and CE onto a Windows 10 system that'll be really great! :D
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: Help with installing Tres on Windows 10

Post by TheIdiot »

TrespasserGuy wrote:So a while ago I recently got a new copy of Trespasser from Amazon. Currently I'm in college and would like to work on some Tres modding if and when I get free time for my studies. Me being in college now is also why you haven't really seen any new Tres content from me as of late :| . But anyway, I've been having troubles getting Tres working on my Windows 10 laptop, and I would also like to get CE working on here so I can get some of my modding urges out of the way :lol: So if anyone can come up with a comprehensive guide for installation of both the game and CE onto a Windows 10 system that'll be really great! :D
It seems a lot of people are struggling to get Tres working on Win 10. As far as I remember, I just installed the game normally (the only difference being that I installed it to "E:/Games/Trespasser/"), then pasted CE over my installation and it worked. What have you tried thusfar?

Whatchu in college for, if you don't mind me asking? :)
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

Idk, everytime I install Tres onto my PC its always so weird. Especially with me trying to install CE onto it because it always says I don't have write permission to the directory or something. And, isn't there a way so that you don't need to have the disc in your drive so you can play the original levels? I'm pretty sure there is. :?

Also, I'm in college mostly to get my degree in Biology :P
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

TrespasserGuy wrote:Idk, everytime I install Tres onto my PC its always so weird. Especially with me trying to install CE onto it because it always says I don't have write permission to the directory or something.
So are you able to install Tres okay, but CE won't copy?
If you don't have write permission, that to me would indicate that you're installing to a folder which you don't have administrator permission to modify, if your account isn't an admin. Make sure you've got permission to modify that folder first before you try and copy the CE files (if you don't do this, you'll have problems editing levels as well).
My recommendation is to install the game somewhere other than the C drive, since the C drive seems to be finnicky with permissions on Win10.
And, isn't there a way so that you don't need to have the disc in your drive so you can play the original levels? I'm pretty sure there is. :?
Yes, I believe there is a tutorial somewhere around on how to do that...from what I recall, you have to copy over the data folder from the CD to your Trespasser installation folder. That would give you everything you need to play retail without the CD. Someone want to clarify that?
Also, I'm in college mostly to get my degree in Biology :P
Very nice! :)
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

Whew! I finally figured out everything, and Trespasser with CE is now running smoothly 8) Thanks!
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Just as a note... The TresCom mainstream installation method is to first copy all CD contents into a folder called "TresCD" or whatever name you like, eject the CD from your computer, then install the game from that folder. Other methods might be asking for trouble.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

I think it might be time for us to write a new guide on how to make a portable installation. Both the retail release and even build 96 can be setup like the demo and both read the tpass.ini file. Much better as a lot of people have issues on Windows 10 and write permission. I know even having an admin account will have those issues unless you disable UAC. So I might start on a guide this weekend :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Sounds good!
Myg
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by Myg »

Just to echo a described method: Copy the contents of the CD to a folder on your HD and then install the game from there using "setup95.exe". You don't need CE since it will work quite well with the software renderer. Only if you want to run high rez/hardware and widescreen do you really need the CE patch.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Uh! CE is for a lot more than Tres looking better. It's needed for simple not-crashing in more recent mods and a host of special actiontypes, to say nothing of all the other stuff like HD-textures...