TresCom Forums

TresCom : The Trespasser Fan Gateway...
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:44 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Tres: Unloaded - JR
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:08 am 
Offline
T-Rex Hunter
T-Rex Hunter
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:21 pm
Posts: 9826
Location: Portland, OR
Sooo... JR Reloaded was officially started sometime in 2014 using Max JR as a basis. I worked on it on and off over the years but last year we acquired the b55 version of that level and HOT DAMN it's nice. It offers a far superior terrain to start with, to say nothing of a swell variety of proto-style terrain objects. This morning (or was it last night?) I decided I would spend 1 day fixing up what was left of the old JR Reloaded (now called Unloaded), enough to make it suitable for release despite being incomplete. Truth be told, the only thing missing from it at the end of all this is a more complete monorail (ignoring any upgrades which would come from last year's asset acquisitions). It offers a wide-open jungle to explore and new variations on the theme of JR and all versions of it which have been created. Have fun and do tell what you thought of it..

https://app.box.com/s/orwaeb2ibvkj8sf6u7m2z22q8yxzino3

Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Image


Special thanks goes to Tatu for major assistance in base foliage placement, and of course his ongoing Tres-dev contact...

_________________
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Image

T-Script Reference / Trespasser Twilight / JP Dark Secrets / Tres File Box

Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tres: Unloaded - JR
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:33 am 
Offline
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:40 pm
Posts: 2965
Location: Somewhere in the Plains.
Oh I remember this. Nice to see it getting released :D

_________________
"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tres: Unloaded - JR
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:56 pm 
Offline
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:20 pm
Posts: 10369
Location: Lima, Peru
For a moment I thought the name was "unleaded" and it meant "no bullets"... ;)

_________________
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tres: Unloaded - JR
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:20 pm 
Offline
T-Rex Hunter
T-Rex Hunter
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:21 pm
Posts: 9826
Location: Portland, OR
Nor is it a new brand of Monster...

Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Image


...Again, replies are appreciated but let me know what you think AFTER playing..

Oh and I think soon it might be time to put up the last few mod releases in the Download section.

_________________
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Image

T-Script Reference / Trespasser Twilight / JP Dark Secrets / Tres File Box

Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tres: Unloaded - JR
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:11 pm 
Offline
Velociraptor v2.1
Velociraptor v2.1
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:13 pm
Posts: 1614
Location: Canada, eh?
So I gave this a quick playthrough, had quite a bit of fun! Not really feeling up to writing a massive review at the moment, but to sum it up, I quite liked it. The level seemed much more like a jungle than it did in any other version, and, while I usually don't like that grass texture you used as a base, I thought it looked great! The addition of more dinosaurs was welcome to fill up the more empty areas and I was glad to see the Mayan Face implemented among other areas which we have hints of existing but never appeared in any version. One thing I did however miss was the inclusion of more puzzles and things to do as per the walkthrough - the level as it is seems devoid of much but the usual Raptor combat. Still, I had quite a bit of fun, although I didn't go into the Hidden Valley because I didn't really feel like backtracking once I'd reached the Final Exam area. Also thought it was a tad too foggy compared to the vanilla versions, although that might just be the coloration of the fog.

Anyway, I'd probably consider this one of the best JR versions I've played. Add some more things to do other than fight the usual Raptors and I think this would take the cake. :wink:

_________________
Image

My currently active projects:
Return to Jurassic Park: A Trespasser Mod - Forum or ModDB | Trespasser HD: Beach / Jungle Road | TheIdiot's release thread


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tres: Unloaded - JR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:16 am 
Offline
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:20 pm
Posts: 10369
Location: Lima, Peru
Draconisaurus wrote:
...Again, replies are appreciated but let me know what you think AFTER playing..

Nah, trust me, you don't really want to hear what I think about it after having finished it... :wink:

OTOH,
Spoiler: show
GOTCHA!

Maybe later, or if you insist...

_________________
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tres: Unloaded - JR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:05 pm 
Offline
T-Rex Hunter
T-Rex Hunter
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:21 pm
Posts: 9826
Location: Portland, OR
Glad ye liked JR Unloaded, TI.

TheIdiot wrote:
and I was glad to see the Mayan Face implemented among other areas which we have hints of existing but never appeared in any version.

The Mayan Face certainly was in b55.. But it's nice to see in a fully working version with dinos, guns, etc. 8) Which uhhh reminds me I fraking totally forgot to add music, oopz.

Quote:
One thing I did however miss was the inclusion of more puzzles and things to do as per the walkthrough - the level as it is seems devoid of much but the usual Raptor combat. Still, I had quite a bit of fun,

Alas, quite so; one of the side-effects of a 1-day completion spree (I am quite busy and have other mods to be modding, and again, the actual JR reloaded will be begun from scratch). I hope the scant few puzzles which were present provided a whiff of what was missing.

Quote:
although I didn't go into the Hidden Valley because I didn't really feel like backtracking once I'd reached the Final Exam area.

Well, the Trikes missed you; did you visit the beach?..

Quote:
Also thought it was a tad too foggy compared to the vanilla versions, although that might just be the coloration of the fog.

Hmmm. I would have to check but I'm pretty sure the fog settings are taken straight from retail JR. I wouldn't be surprised if it looks different due to the open-area nature of the level. The color is likewise from JR..

Quote:
Anyway, I'd probably consider this one of the best JR versions I've played. Add some more things to do other than fight the usual Raptors and I think this would take the cake. :wink:

Hehe, well that's for a fully different edition... 8)
Also, on the grass texture you normally don't like, this level sort of satisfies the desire I've had for ages for a proto-Tres-style level, using the old textures which fit the square trnobjs found everywhere in retail and are seen in concept art. Also made use of those stalky simple short palm thingies which likewise remind one of proto-Tres (and were moreover not in the final version). Sort of needed to do justice to all that. *cracks knuckles* Now that that's taken care... In the interrum we've discovered that ancient versions of Tres levels actually had highly complicated trnobj assemblages. Do not know far I might come to spreading that style throughout Tres in a certain other remake project..

*thinks*

Well Gah, as Tatu might have mentioned, I've requested to join said other project. If I do, Tres Reloaded will likely be abandoned since they have about the same goal. As well, I'm not quite sure how well BE Reloaded represents my current modding approach. We shall seeee what happens.

machf wrote:
typical dry humor

Hah, hah, hah.. :cartman: Feel free to mention even a single part of your experience/opinion at any time. :yum:

_________________
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Image

T-Script Reference / Trespasser Twilight / JP Dark Secrets / Tres File Box

Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tres: Unloaded - JR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:36 pm 
Offline
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:20 pm
Posts: 10369
Location: Lima, Peru
Well...

Spoiler: show
When I first started the game, the first glitch I found was the weapons locker's door getting stuck, so I couldn't take the .45 out. Then when I reached that construction trailer with two doors, weeeell... I'd have placed the door the other way around, having it open to the side from which you're climbing the stairs isn't much of a logical choice. Once inside, I heard raptor noises outside, tried to climb outside the window, and got stuck, no matter what I tried. So I restarted the game... or better said, I tried. Bummer. You forgot to fix the .scn file with GUIapp. I had to exit back to Windows and start the level again.

This time I fortunately didn't have problems with the weapons locker and grabbed the .45, then I went to the trailer again and picked the SMG, not trying to get out the window anymore. Then I proceeded thorugh the level. Some time later I realized the prurpose of the huge boulders was to provide a way to jump to the monorail tracks, but it wasn't much help, as they apparently are just meant to break down. I still think, though, that you could have used those same boulders to hide a few raptors in ambush...

I managed to climb different inclines, avoiding most of the raptors in the level after noticing them from afar, and didn't need to fire a single shot until I reached the end of the level, where I killed two which were too annoying to ignore with headshots from the .45 (the third one apparently had been crushed by some monorail track section nearby). Interesting gun... by that time, I had dropped the SMG and picked up a Ruger Redhawk instead, but didn't use it either.

Then I turned back to see what I might have missed in the level, but got bored very quickly and exited the game... decided to better look at it in TresEd instead.

Oh, and I wish you had renamed the level files so that they don't replace the original JR, as I placed them in their own folder but if I try to load the level into TresEd, it will load the original JR instead because it looks in that folder first...


So, that's it.

_________________
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tres: Unloaded - JR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:42 pm 
Offline
T-Rex Hunter
T-Rex Hunter
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:21 pm
Posts: 9826
Location: Portland, OR
:o

My god...
Do you know what this is?
This, is a machf review..

But, Grampa said all the reviews were made by TheIdiot...
Peruvian sense of humor...

machf wrote:
When I first started the game, the first glitch I found was the weapons locker's door getting stuck, so I couldn't take the .45 out. Then when I reached that construction trailer with two doors, weeeell... I'd have placed the door the other way around, having it open to the side from which you're climbing the stairs isn't much of a logical choice. Once inside, I heard raptor noises outside, tried to climb outside the window, and got stuck, no matter what I tried.

Well, on the road, wild machfs can't stand physics glitches and get stuck in the sap...

Quote:
This time I fortunately didn't have problems with the weapons locker and grabbed the .45, then I went to the trailer again and picked the SMG, not trying to get out the window anymore. Then I proceeded thorugh the level.

They were testing the fences for weaknesses, systematically, and learned how to get out.

Quote:
Some time later I realized the prurpose of the huge boulders was to provide a way to jump to the monorail tracks, but it wasn't much help, as they apparently are just meant to break down. I still think, though, that you could have used those same boulders to hide a few raptors in ambush...

Now, some West African machfs are known have greater expectations of minor releases and see things which aren't there...

Quote:
I managed to climb different inclines, avoiding most of the raptors in the level after noticing them from afar, and didn't need to fire a single shot until I reached the end of the level, where I killed two which were too annoying to ignore with headshots from the .45 (the third one apparently had been crushed by some monorail track section nearby). Interesting gun... by that time, I had dropped the SMG and picked up a Ruger Redhawk instead, but didn't use it either.

Then I turned back to see what I might have missed in the level, but got bored very quickly and exited the game... decided to better look at it in TresEd instead.

Wild machfs deny themselves the fuller potential of new releases, instead focusing on minimum interaction and reporting on how little happened

Quote:
Oh, and I wish you had renamed the level files so that they don't replace the original JR, as I placed them in their own folder but if I try to load the level into TresEd, it will load the original JR instead because it looks in that folder first...

Life... found a way after a bit of file rearrangement.

Image

_________________
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Image

T-Script Reference / Trespasser Twilight / JP Dark Secrets / Tres File Box

Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tres: Unloaded - JR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:54 pm 
Offline
Velociraptor v2.1
Velociraptor v2.1
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:13 pm
Posts: 1614
Location: Canada, eh?
Quote:
Draco's response to machf's typical dry humour

:lol:

Quote:
My god...
Do you know what this is?
This, is a machf review..
But, Grampa said all the reviews were made by TheIdiot...
Peruvian sense of humor...

Using sophisticated techniques, we extract the opinions from machf and...bingo! Machf's review!

_________________
Image

My currently active projects:
Return to Jurassic Park: A Trespasser Mod - Forum or ModDB | Trespasser HD: Beach / Jungle Road | TheIdiot's release thread


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tres: Unloaded - JR
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:51 pm 
Offline
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:20 pm
Posts: 10369
Location: Lima, Peru
Yes, Drac, there is a machf.

Don't say I didn't warn you before.
(And back then when I did I had already finished playing the level, but I didn't have the time to write about it)


You must understand that whenever I play Trespasser, I follow these principles:

  1. Try to secure the upper hand before attacking. If possible, keep the sun behind you
  2. Always continue with an attack you have begun
  3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
  4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
  5. In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind
  6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try to get around his attack, but fly to meet it
  7. When over the enemy's lines, always remember your own line of retreat
  8. Tip for Squadrons: In principle, it is better to attack in groups of four or six. If fights break up into a series of single combats, pay attention that several comrades would not go after one opponent.
No, wait... those are the Dicta Boelcke, useful when playing Red Baron 3D or Il2 Sturmovik... or even Wing Commander. But this is Trespasser we're talking about...

Oh, right, these were the ones:
  1. Always keep the high ground
  2. Make every shot count
  3. Don't shoot until you see the white of their eyes
  4. Short, controlled bursts
  5. Check those corners... Check those corners!
  6. Better be remembered by "here he ran away" than "here he passed away"
  7. Don't be distracted by the scenery, you can always come back to watch it after you've nuked the whole place
  8. Keep your ears open
  9. Count the shadows
  10. There's always a back door

_________________
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tres: Unloaded - JR
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:01 pm 
Offline
T-Rex Hunter
T-Rex Hunter
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:21 pm
Posts: 9826
Location: Portland, OR
Haha, I like it! Sounds like you keep survival deep in your focus.

_________________
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Image

T-Script Reference / Trespasser Twilight / JP Dark Secrets / Tres File Box

Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group