Draco - Tuesday, 12 April 2011 (JPDS RELEASED)

Released! - Discuss progress and updates on the biggest Trespasser level endeavor ever, JPDS - a dark Tres mod by Draco and co.

Moderators: scallenger, JPDS Team

jetblack
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
Antispam: No

Re: Draco - Tuesday, 12 April 2011 (JPDS RELEASED)

Post by jetblack »

*headache* Same problem.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Well maybe this will do it. The full package was too large, have done two separate archives. The engine and its files:
http://www.mediafire.com/?813f5oi9lcpg0c4
The level:
http://www.mediafire.com/?6xnce427xudogfu
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Second Illiteration »

Yeah I suppose I can get around eventually to releasing all my dinoskins and assets I collected for making them (i.e. lots of pictures)
jetblack
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by jetblack »

Alright, there we go.
Microceratops
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Microceratops »

Ok, I think I have finished it. It was very very very very good! A little buggy, but that's the engine's fault. Excellent level, particularly well-done thanks to the atmosphere and the way you guys used existing and new music. The scripted events were amazing, and "Mr. Grumpy" was so scary the first time I saw it! :D

SPOILERS AHEAD:

I'm not sure if I have finished, to be honest. I reached two "endings": When I got the map (exhausting! :lol: ), I reached a point where the game simply stopped and a screen appeared telling me to wait for the next level. That's ok and I find it perfectly normal.
But... An alternate way I went by was the one I reached to a sort of Mayan maze. I kept walking and walking, finding creppy stuff and hearing voices in certain places. Reminded me of King Kong in a good way. But I digress... As I said, I walked and walked and I reached a point where I found an exit... Or so I thought. The "door" of the exit closed as I reached to it and Anne said something funny that was in line with what I thought of that moment :P

I couldn't finish that maze, but I ask... Is there an actual exit? And does that exit reach a point which is impossible to get by normal walking above the ground?

END OF SPOILERS

As I said, it was a fantastic level. And the best part is that it's got a lot replay value. In those jungles you can walk and walk... And never return. (Or something like that, I don't remember the exact voiceover :P )

Congrats, guys! I can't wait for the next one. I hope it comes soon!
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

OMG! It's out! The Duke Nukem Forever of Trespasser is out! :P

First off, I downloaded the the files split in 5 archives and AmbientDS.tpa and SteamSteams.tpa were corrupt, so if I want those I have to download "The engine and its files" archive, right? I don't want to re-download the whole thing again, my new internet connection has a bandwidth limit of 30GB/month.
Second, for some reason, I only have the Spanish version of Stream.tpa and Effects.tpa on this computer and no ambient.tpa at all. lol So, I'm stuck trying to translate what is being said but I don't speak or read Spanish at all. :lol: I know it's not your fault, but it's still funny.

Wow! That menu is great! Best I've seen so far.

Now for the level itself:
Great stuff! Better than I thought it would be. Not because I didn't think you could do a good job, but because you kept saying you were removing this and removing that. That reduced my expectations immensely.
The intro cut-scene is way too long if you ask me, with too many still images.
To my great surprise, the first thing I see when the level loads: my beautiful Ankylosaurus! *cry a tear of joy*
I love the flashbacks to the helicopter crash.
lol What's up with the giant red arrows? Didn't think people would be smart enough to figure it out on their own? Very nice still.
Spoiler: show
Guess what's the first thing I did when I saw the sleeping dino. I purposely woke it up with the pickaxe. :P
Beware the trailer on the edge of the cliff! If it looks familiar from JPDS~testing, it's no coincidence. I still had to try it though. :lol:
I'm impatiently waiting for the next level.

Oh, if any of you have been wondering where I've been for the last... month and a half, (I thought it was more than that.) I've been exhausted from work or playing Halo Reach. :P Halo Reach is the ONLY game I've been playing for the last couple of months.
Last edited by Nick3069 on Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Wow thanks guys, glad you're enjoying it. 8) Keep the stories comin'.

SPOILERS AHEAD:
Microceratops wrote:
I'm not sure if I have finished, to be honest. I reached two "endings": When I got the map (exhausting! :lol: ), I reached a point where the game simply stopped and a screen appeared telling me to wait for the next level. That's ok and I find it perfectly normal.
There are indeed several different end triggers in JPDS~streams. They were going to be scripted to load specific SCN files for the other levels, but we've had to end this project before that can be done, so instead you'll only be able to start the next levels at one of the possible places. They should still be fun though.
But... An alternate way I went by was the one I reached to a sort of Mayan maze. I kept walking and walking, finding creppy stuff and hearing voices in certain places. Reminded me of King Kong in a good way. But I digress... As I said, I walked and walked and I reached a point where I found an exit... Or so I thought. The "door" of the exit closed as I reached to it and Anne said something funny that was in line with what I thought of that moment :P
That's amazing you found the maze already! None of the beta testers could find it except Tatu who already knew about it. King Kong, hehe awesome! That door is indeed a place where you can progress to a different area. You need to figure out how to open it. There is a room in the maze which gives you a hint. However I don't recall any voiceovers being put with the door! :| Perhaps you accidentally hit the R key and replayed the previous voiceover. And it's Tasha, not Anne ;) We... couldn't manage to get anyone to do new voiceovers for us, but the character is very much different from Anne.
I couldn't finish that maze, but I ask... Is there an actual exit? And does that exit reach a point which is impossible to get by normal walking above the ground?
Yes.

END OF SPOILERS
As I said, it was a fantastic level. And the best part is that it's got a lot replay value. In those jungles you can walk and walk... And never return. (Or something like that, I don't remember the exact voiceover :P )
Hehe, glad you're enjoying it!! I assure you there's much more to see than you have seen so far, even just within that level. It's huge. And the voiceover goes, "In a forest like this... you could just walk forever, and never come back." It's in JPDS~trails heh.
Congrats, guys! I can't wait for the next one. I hope it comes soon!
It will ;) Need to give everyone a chance to explore this one and tell their tales.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Glad you're back, Nick! Good timing.
Nick3069 wrote:First off, I downloaded the the files split in 5 archives and AmbientDS.tpa and SteamSteams.tpa were corrupt, so if I want those I have to download "The engine and its files" archive, right? I don't want to re-download the whole thing again, my new internet connection has a bandwidth limit of 30GB/month.
Crap, you're playing JPDS~streams without the additive TPA files? That's pretty bad :P There are important sounds in there. Please be sure to start the level fresh when you get them. But yes, the "Engine" archive will have those. It is most of the files over again, though. The other is only the four non-terrain level files, but then those are pretty big. Hmm, I can upload just AmbientDS.tpa and StreamStreams.tpa for you. Will PM links.
Wow! That menu is great! Best I've seen so far.
Most credit for that goes to TrikeUatra! He did a bang-up job. Not too different from the original layout but very visually appealing and fitting. And I really enjoy having music in our menu...
The intro cut-scene is way too long if you ask me, with too many still images.
Lol. It was all because of timing. If I just flipped through images, it would ruin some of the effect. And we didn't have video for all the stuff needed. I put in as much video as I could justify. I think anything other than a single image for the phone-convos would have been too distracting from the text, and we couldn't get voices for those...
To my great surprise, the first thing I see when the level loads: my beautiful Ankylosaurus! *cry a tear of joy*
;) That Anky is pretty dang nice. One of the earliest concept art pieces for JPDS shows an Anky drinking from a pond next to the crashed helicopter and dead pteranodon. It just had to be done.
I love the flashbacks to the helicopter crash.
I'm glad people like those! It's admittedly a short-cut to not animate the whole sequence, but I do like the effect.
lol What's up with the giant red arrows? Didn't think people would be smart enough to figure it out on their own? Very nice still.
Heheh, I've been trying to make JPDS as accessible as possible. I don't think people would figure out some of those puzzles, before getting frustrated, without the arrows. It's also meant to get you used to what to look for in other puzzles. Most people aren't going to assume they can break down some of the signs, or they might think that planking is cheating.
Mickey
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Mickey »

Haven't played it yet :(
TheGuy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Post by TheGuy »

:lol: That made me laugh, Mickey.

I can't play it yet either - 15GB a month bandwidth means I have to wait until after midnight (where it's unlimited) to download large files. :(
ImageImage
Microceratops
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Microceratops »

Ok, I'm having a little problem.... The Mayan Temple seems to have... dissapeared. The first time I bumped into it was an accident: After grabbing the map, the Rex woke up because of that damn trigger ( :lol: ) and I started falling, being able to walk through walls. As I luckily survived the fall, I reached into a pipe that had a ladder inside of it and went down. As I had very few life left, I quickly used the INVUL cheat and survived the fall, finding myself in a sort of sewer system with lots of water around me. And then I got to the maze.

But now I tried doing the same and there's nothing going down the ladder! Just a black zone that teleports me directly where the Rex is! Is this normal?? Help! :D
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Unfortunately, that's a bug in JPDS, of course. You're not supposed to be going underneath the Visitors Lodge that way. If you did things the right way, there are two ways to enter the sewer. Entering through that manhole means that you won't be able to get into that Mayan stuff. There is a trigger underneath the VL which puts you back onto the surface if you fall in, but it doesn't cover the whole area. I had to stop working on JPDS before I could fix the other parts. So, try to find another way into the sewer, from someplace totally different.
Oh and you can stop yourself by moving into the sewer ladder handles as you fall..
Microceratops
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Microceratops »

Ok, I think I have found the other way in. Sort of. First of all, that Mayan teleportation was... awesome. I stumbled upon that buliding by chance (going off the path is good to find stuff like this) and when I entered there was a moment where I couldn't move and my first thought was "Ohhh sh*t, now I'm dead. I should have saved", but instead I arrived into an island where I kept thinking that something was going to come out of the water :lol:

Anyways, I walked around the little island (pushing all the statues of course) and I reached into this...

(Image removed by Draco! :yum: )

Is that the entrance? I used the FLY cheat to check the interior of it but there's just black, so I tried entering in a legal way, but I couldn't find an answer. Could you give me a clue? :)

Bottom line: This is far the most interesting level I have played in a long time. The ----- in the swamp was a brilliant old-school scare! I have found a giant Dilophosaurus too, and don't have a clue of how I escaped from it or where it is... It's amazing all the stuff I keep finding just because I'm not following the road.

Congratulations again! This is a true Trespasser experience.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Micro, thank you very much for your compliments!! :D It feels very good after all this time, you have no idea. I want to hear all the stories you can tell, perhaps some of them saved for later. I want screenshots, too, but not yet! ;) I want to give a longer chance for people to see these things first on their own. Eventually I'd be delighted to have people upload vids of their adventures, too, if they care to make them.
With the Mayan stuff. The only clue I will give is that you will find a hint if you explore carefully around that whole island. And Dilophosaurus was actually about that big! ;) The one in the movie was quite young, in order to give the scene with Dennis the feel they were going for. So I wanted JPDS to have a more authentic dilo for a change. He's like the guardian of the coconuts :lol: And, very much so, most of the interesting stuff is to be found off-road. The road is not the only path, though. You can follow that, the powerlines in either direction, or one of the streams, each taking you to different things; or you can just run off randomly, that works too. ;)
Congratulations again! This is a true Trespasser experience.
I'm honored, and I'm sure the rest of the JPDS Team is, too. I hope MikeTheRaptor comes around to see this.
The sewers are his fine handiwork.
Microceratops
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Microceratops »

It's really nice that you feel so proud of your level, Draco. And you should, it's amazing!
Sorry to keep with this, but I'm getting closer... I found... Murray, the demonic talking skull! Bwahahaha! (If you are a Monkey Island fan you'll probably know what the hell I'm talking about. If not, ignore that :P ).
Anyways, I found the Crystal Skull that told me to -----------------. But I don't have any weapons. I tried jumping to the altar to hurt Tasha a little but it didn't work. So, is there a ----- hidden somewhere on the island or was the Skull... lying?!?! Noooo I'll never trust a talking inanimated object again!

Sorry for asking so much, but I want to get into that maze! Of course don't give me a direct answer, any clue will do.

Thanks again!