JPDS HUD

Released! - Discuss progress and updates on the biggest Trespasser level endeavor ever, JPDS - a dark Tres mod by Draco and co.

Moderators: scallenger, JPDS Team

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

JPDS HUD

Post by Draconisaurus »

Since our main forum is currently down, I want to discuss the JPDS HUD in here for now. Trike, how soon do you think you could get to work on this? I'd be very interested to see how it could go. :)
TrikeUatra
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrikeUatra »

As soon as I have a basic design, or concept, or rough idea of what we'd like :D

If we decide to go for the same style as the menu, I may have a head start with these three images I made quite a while ago. You may remember them from when the HUD first came out I posted these.

I'd still have to work on the numbers, and maybe touch these up a bit if needed. And of course the positions of them on the screen needs to be discussed and decided.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

True. The design looks good so far! Go ahead and come up with whatever numbers you want.. we definately want to maintain a constant style with the main menu. Now as for positions.. yeah we need to figure that out, our HUD images will probably become more complex and interconnected. ;) So here's the first thing we need to do! I need you to impliment these images into the menu and take an ingame screenshot, which you can now actually do in JPDS1 itself. :mrgreen: Then post it here so we can see how it looks! At that point we can start drawing ontop of the screenshot(s) and rearrange things how we like. ^_^ Seriously, it's a good way to do it, we can reconfigure the menu on an image of the final display. Well I'll let you to that and get back to college, which I am thankfully already in. ;)
TrikeUatra
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrikeUatra »

I assume you mean implement them as the HUD and take a couple of screenshots?

I'll get on that as soon as I have a spare moment, as I'm about to go out right now...
TrikeUatra
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrikeUatra »

Okay... so... The first link leads to a screenshot of JPDS, with indicated areas (black) that cannot contain the HUD images. This is to prevent any on-screen text being covered, as well as the 'loc' cheat window. IMO cheats like 'map' and 'canimal' are too obtrusive to consider, so people using those are choosing to do so at risk of not being able to monitor health and/or ammo. That shouldn't be a problem should we choose to have the HUD displayed near the bottom, or in the bottom right corner where no cheats are displayed, however.
The other three links lead to each of the HUD elements. The font used to display the numerics can be changed if necessary.

http://i2.tinypic.com/27x3wp5.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b362/ ... Stored.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b362/ ... udAmmo.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b362/ ... Health.jpg

The idea behind this is to enable us to copy the HUD images onto the screenshot, and explore different locations for the HUD elements on screen (without worrying about covering/being covered by something) by simply moving the layers around.

I've gotten used to the workings of positioning the HUD elements now, so pretty much any location is good. If we decide to merge the elements, I can edit the images so that when positioned next to each other they blend seamlessly. I think that may be the way to go... I like the idea of taking it a step further by merging them to create a monitor bar of sorts :yes:
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmmmmm I'm busy modding IJ so I'm not going to get into everything right now, but this is an important note I just thought of to make ---- people will use different screen resolutions!! I personally always use 640 x 480. This may in fact be smaller than most people use heh but for me it ensure optimum performance of the game (fps etc.). It might be interesting if BR were able to institute different HUD graphics for each screen size... or at least 3 different sets of the HUD images. IDK we'll have to see, but good thinking on the text overlay areas, I hadn't thought of that and it's important we don't cover those up. :)