Remaing models to beta:

Released! - TresCom Ops' TC Act 2 Archive Forum.

Moderators: scallenger, Hilwo, Kovu

Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

... and downloaded. ;)
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Render of our boney friend, the ankylosaur:

http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/anky.jpg

I'm not really satisfied with the looks of the textures yet, but for the beta it will do. It's ready to get rigged in TPDC.

So the dinos I got done now:

Compy
Para
Dilophosaur

Still working on the texture of the Gallimimus but modeling is all done. And the raptor still needs a bit of tweaking on the textures, especially the teeth, but its as good as done (will post a render when I'm satisfied with it

* Other raptor variations still to be created as well...

Rebel, maybe we should save the pilot cave for the final version. On the other hand, not to many complicated stuff, but lets save it for later (in case we do have some time left before our Mid-Otober release date).

So lemme list the models to be done for myself:

-venture bridge interior (radio, controls).
-hangar light box
-waterfall FINISHED
-cavern detonator & TNT FINISHED
-balloon
-spray paint (how could I forget that one?)
-bunker control panel
-id cards FINISHED

Did I miss anything here?

Btw, could you upload your last terrain .wtd file Rebel, so I can get the waterfall done. I do have a bunch of files around here, not sure which was the latest.
Last edited by Remdul on Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:52 am, edited 5 times in total.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Remdul, don't drive yourself completely crazy with the dinos for the beta.... if we get two or three in, that's great. (I think they all look great) Don't forget, they need to tested too, check the rig works, setup in level, et cetera and all that stuff takes time, my friend. ;)

*Btw, that compy wasn't rigged right, was it? I recall that it couldn't open its mouth and its neck/head area was a bit screwy, yes?

*Your remaining model list looks right, although I'd like to add the few items I mentioned yesterday about the bunker control console to it and the power switch I posted a pic of for computer room. The graffiti (spray paint easteregg) would be great too if you can do it, but regardless of whether or not we do include this, we'd still need the graffiti spray painted names of the contest entry winners (to place on backside pen wall).

Sure, we can hold back the pilot's lair for the final, not a problem. Give me a minute, I'll upload a zip containing the current wtd file. :)

http://www.geocities.com/lastrebel41/currentwtd.zip

Ooops. forgot about the id cards. :?
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Got the main waterfall model here:

http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/waterfall.zip

Same as with the cavern falls, has two different textures for the faded and looped texture parts. I've named the models accordinly, so this shouldn't be a problem.
The model is at the right coordinates, but you may have to alter the terrain slightly in the slightly to avoid clipping.

As for the dinos; gallimimus is almost done anyway, no problem. The compies mouth couldn't be opened, but I can update the model that and fix the neck problems, it'll look a lot cooler.

Id cards no prob either. I've got the cards textures scanned, will upload the models later.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Downloaded. These split, texture models drive me insane though. Like you mentioned, one time they match, next time they don't. I tried it without culling values, no difference. All the two models require is a millisecond of time out of step with one another to take note of the split, so I suspect their being out of sync at times is an another engine fault and not something we're doing wrong. Regardless, I'll run the texture animation as you described earlier; W's on top, R's on bottom. (although they seem to look better using just the W's) If they're not in sync all the time, oh well....

Still working on the crater comps, but I think I'm down to just figuring out the two workable camera/screens. Had a system hang yesterday while working on it; took me 3 freakin' hours to find the script error. Agh! Lucky for me the Venture's radio setup will be much easier on my brain.

So, anyways... keep the stuff comin'. ;)
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Yep, if we can't get the animations to run synchronised it's better to use the W textures then. That doesn't look that bad anyway.

I just realised theres another way to solve the problem actually. We can use the R one, and make sure the polygons overlap. We may want to check into that later.

Yeah, tracking down bugs in code can be frustrating sometimes. I know exactly what you mean.

Got the keycards done;

http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/keycards.jpg

Zip:

http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/keycards.zip

One new texture, new palette. Left the JP board game cards untouched, with the exeption of the replacement of the text with the logo on the back and the dirt.

:)
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Got 'em, and like 'em. Hell, that was the easiest task I've had in quite some time! The mags didn't even give me much hassle. :)
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

I tried not to create a cliche looking detonator. It's basicly just a battery, attach both wires and you have some nice fireworks.

Sorry, Remdul.... I mistakenly edited your post instead of quoting from it. :oops:
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Dino-mite. lol That's cute, man. Putting a dino logo on the boxes really sets that stuff apart from anything that I've ever seen in a game. :)

*If you need any direction on the boarded up section, check the cavern puzzle thread. Dunno if you want to add the bullet holes in the obstruction, that was just an embellishment of the puzzle, a story addon.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Btw, have you been doing anything different with relation to the scale of models lately?

They're huge! Though, what I'm concerned about is the actual scale of the model after I scale them down to useable sizes. The tnt for instance has a scale of 0.00007, just shy of 0. Is that ok, or am I bringing up an unimportant point?
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Hmm. I re-installed 3dmax recently to get rid of that crashing problem, I guess the scale settings must have been reset to the defaults. I'll try to remember that for next time, before export the stuff I can scale stuff down.

Hope it doesn't cause much trouble (you know, rounding errors can do nasty things). I don't think it can slow down Tres but if you do notice something weird lemme know and I'll re-export those models.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Well, so far I haven't noticed any troubles associated with it, but I don't think that having the dinosaurs at a scale below 1 would be a good thing.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

GodDam'it! I hit edit instead of quote and replaced your above post with my own. D'oh! :x
I tried not to create a cliche looking detonator. It's basicly just a battery, attach both wires and you have some nice fireworks.
.... Wires? Should we have these dangling down from off the dinomite cap? I'm not sure that I follow you here. I assume that we wouldn't want the detonator right next to the dinomite, but I can't quite envision how I can pull this altogether.

The dinomite itself will be already placed inbetween the cracks of the board barracade, but the trick would be to get the detonator in the position needed to actually get the wires attached. Wire-wise, I might be able to use the play animation, but I'm not quite certain how the player would figure out the exact locale needed to place the detonator at. Teleport, maybe?

:rambo:

Ah! Although, the wires themselves wouldn't need to traverse the entire length of the tunnel's floor! We could just have wires traveling down from the dinomite and into the ground and more wire coming up from out of the ground which would then give the player an inkling of where the detonator needs to be. Considering time laspe, most the wire previously laid down would have been covered over with dust and ground movement anyways, so the actual dinomite wire getting covered over and our detonator wire protruding up from the ground would make good sense.

Ok, then. From the above explanation, if we put the detonator wires on a mag with axis' free, then I could set it up so that once the player touches the contacts the wires will freeze onto the detonator.... perhaps a slight delay, and then a boom.

So, does all this sound right to you, Rem? :cartman:

*Boards flying: I think I could script 3 or 4 pieces (the broken planks uploaded) to fly off. So, that effect shouldn't be much of a problem.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

I didn't have anything specific in mind really, but the idea you suggested it ok I think. But if you'd rather have a button, or timer whatever, I can make that. However, I don't like the idea of having just a buttin there, its to simple. Almost all interactions are already based on pressing buttos.

If the wire is covered with dirt, it'll also be a nice puzzle to find the other end of it. Perhaps you can toss in some crates or barrels where you can take cover, and let the wires stick out of the ground there.

Flying boards: using the push script? Just curious. :)

* Oh, and when you can insert the spark animation + sound there as well, so you know you've attached the wires correctly.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Ok, then. Let us go with the wiring stuff. I imagine that the detonator ends would be sorta looped (or hooped) so that they could slide over the contacts. The sooner you could supply me with the wiring, the sooner I can get to work on the details of the puzzle itself. ;)

Sure, will add the spark n' sound. The flyin' boards are actually animation scripted. Tried pushers, but mostly, they just sorta did a quick bang against the near wall and fell too close to explosion point -- didn't like it.

Setting up a type of barracade, as if intended to hide behind during detonation makes sense, but I assume that we want the player to see the explosion as well, so I'll try to give that a little thought. Perhaps something there, but not something so bulky that it'd obscure player view.

It might also be a good idea to have a splittered wood model for after the explosion which would litter the cavern floor around the barracade area aftwards. I'd consider a ground texture for this, but I don't know if you can do a visible/not visible or a animation with a ground texture. I never ran such experiments on ground textures.

*Nope. Can't do such things with trn_objects, just checked.