Remaing models to beta:

Released! - TresCom Ops' TC Act 2 Archive Forum.

Moderators: scallenger, Hilwo, Kovu

Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Oh, ok, will do the wiring tomorrow morning. :)

Yeah, I made some barrels fly sometime with the push script but I didn't really get consistent results.

About the terrain textures; reminds me on the blood decals you get when you shoot the dinos. It isn't scripted is it? I assume that technically it works the same way as other terrain objects, but I'm not sure it can be accessed by scripts...

Anyway, I'll make a model with bits and pieces that you can put on the floor, no problem.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Yea, in our testzone we released our barrels fly, just like the barrels if the one leaky barrel is shot inside the crater of TC_Isle.

Good (to get the wiring to me), it'll help me tremendously trying to set the puzzle up properly. Hope you don't mind, but I went with some rocks and timber instead of barrels and crates.... I think it fit the scene better.

I'm making progress on it -- I just scared myself (wasn't expecting everything to work, I guess! :lol: ) when I shot the dinomite and got blown back (and died, of course). The boards fly, obstruction opened up. It all happens in an instant, should come off quite well. Add the actual explosion/dust animation and it should kick some ass.

(I assume someone will try to 'shoot' the dinomite, so I have to test these things. :D )

*CEntityAttached didn't work (can't make models like that tangible, the models go crazy on you), but found out that you can $model a model with various soundmaterial, so that solved that contact problem for me.

*Think the blood is handled through the exe, I don't we could access that.

Oh, btw, I don't think we should loop the end wires, just show a bit of bare wire with perhaps a slight bend on it. It'll be to problematic to get the player to place a loop over the terminal, so I think we should just expect the wire to sorta stick to whatever part of the terminal post that it touches.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Got some wiring:

http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/wiring.zip

I made three pieces with some bends in it. I'm not sure how exactly you've set things up, but the models have only one texture so you should be able to modify this model without much problem.

I'll get onto the fun stuff; creating that explosion and dust. :)
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Downloaded. Dust n' Explosion, Ooorah! I assume that like the sprung leak, you'll place it on whatever model necessary. That's your expertise. ;)
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Hey, I was thinking...we can do good looking particle systems.

I can put those dust, explosion textures on billboards, so they always face the player (except for the horizontal axis, but thats not a problem in this case). Then with animation scripts I can animate those billboards so they move. With scripted texture frames they can fade out (transparant 16bit textures)...

How about that?
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Sounds good, I reckon. So, the explosion/dust would travel away from the initial blast point?

*I also considered some type of expanding, funnel type cylinder. I'm going to have to leave it up to you, though. Do it, we'll see how it scripts.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

I did a rough test:

http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom ... n_test.avi

Requires DivX codec.

The box represents the tunnel, assuming the players is to the right hand side of it. The initial position of the dust and explosion boards are above the tunnel ceiling, thus invisible. When the explosion is triggered they instantly move inside the tunnel. Explosion lasts about 8 frames. Dust stays a little longer but not to long, otherwise the player might walk into the dust which will look weird from any other position.
The dust falling from the ceiling to the right has a single transparant texture on a board, which slowly moves down.

I think we can use the same thing elsewhere, for example when the elevator reaches the bottom (doors open *bang* and some dust falls down) and the breakaway floor. We can also add some additional triggers, play a rumbeling sound and drop some dust from the ceiling.

Btw, did you add the water drip to the caverns part II?

Stuff is gonna look cool. :)

* Btw, could you upload a few screenshot from TresEd that show the location? And perhaps also export the few surrounding objects (including tunnel) so I can set everything up in the correct location to save you the trouble. :)
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Media player can't find codec for file.. :? I have the correct divx codec on my other harddrive, but not the one I'm currently booted to.

Sure thing. I'll upload the scene for you... give me a few moments.

http://www.geocities.com/lastrebel41/mitestuff.zip

http://www.geocities.com/lastrebel41/othertrigger.zip

The above should contain all data needed, plus 2 screenshots from tresed (I think)

Anyways, if you import the mitestuff, it oughta give you the exact scene and triggers that I'm working with. (If you import triggers, I'd check geomadd's verify function just in case I missed something, delete whatever's giving you trouble)

Yea, a little dust in the floor collaspe or elevator halt sounds good...

*No, haven't added water drip to cavern partII. I'll try not to forget that. Spent most the week straightening out all the triggers for crater's computer room. Will import that once I have the few remaing items (red switch, bunker panel indicators) setup and checked out.
Last edited by Rebel on Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Bump

Links are up, Martijn.

*btw, I included the play animation asa file just in case you wanted to test out the entire setup. (You'd have to change the one trigger's sound collision material to 'ANNE-HAND' -- it's setup for Wire 1 and I didn't upload that model assigned that sound)

Then, touch each terminal once, that'd fire the boolean trigger

*If you have a gun handy, just shoot the dinomite and that'll set off the reaction as well.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Tres crashed while loading after I imported that stuff. Not sure what caused it (tpa sound problem maybe?), but I've exported the stuff and set up the scene in Max. Looks ok.

I'm now rewriting the Asa export script (added features and fixed some bugs), hope to get it done today.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Nah, tpa sounds don't cause crashes, you'll just hear a beep where the audio should be. Probably missing a trigger or something or other.

I sorta assumed that you might have wanted to screw with the asa file a bit, maybe get the boards to fly a bit differently --

*I think I've got the triggers all done, as well as the detonator working properly. Used a small teleport_object trigger to set the detonator, but since the object needs to be so close to the actual location of where it needs to be, you don't even notice that object was jogged on you. (It's all very slight of hand) It worked out well. I can hook the wires up on the 1st attempt every time as well.

To give 2 solutions to the puzzle, I've allowed 'corner' shots to be taken at the dinomite, so player can set off the explosion without major injury. Although, I think most people will probably walk part way down the tunnel, assume they're at a safe distance and fire (and be killed, of course). I think only the smarter players would consider trying to take a sneak shot (and you need an extremely accurate shot as well) at the dinomite.

Not sure what changes and/or additions you've made, but I'll work the explosion and updated asa file into the mix once that stuff's ready.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Ended up rewriting AsaExp AND TmpExp, but they both work properly now, and have added functionality (plus I made them more stable for a public release).

Got the stuff here:

http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom ... losion.zip

Includes all the textures + models + animation.

The explosion/dust billboards are placed above the ceiling. There are three frames in the animation. The first frame moves the billboards inside the cavern instantly, then they move in a linear path thru the tunnel to frame 50. Frame 51 moves them above the ceiling again. So in those 50 frames the animations on the boards must be at the last frame when it reaches frame 50.
In my test animation the explosion lasted 8 frames (assuming 30fps) and the dust exactly 50 frames. You may want to play with it a bit.
Because the animation moves the boards in and out the tunnel, you won't have to worry about hiding them by script, that should make it a easier on you.

Model "cloud" and "cloud01" are the explosion boards. The other ones, "cloud02" to "cloud12" are the dust boards. I didn't know what names where available, so I haven't changed the names. To rename them before import so a "Search/Replace" in Wordpad on both the TPM and ASA file.

Ok, so remaining scripting on this:
-AlwaysFace value on each board
-explosion texture frames
-dust texture frames

Btw, I animated the boards to spin on their Z-axis, that means they should rotate in the eyes of the viewer, but I'm not sure what exactly the effect will be in combination with the "AlwaysFace" value. If it goes bananas you might do a "Search/Replace" with Wordpad in the ASA file to remove the rotation.

Phew. This will look pretty cool if it all works out. :yum:
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Just got home, but I'll check it all out after my shower. Not sure what you mean by 50Plus frames, though. Animations can only be 32 frames long; everything beyond that count is ignored.

I'll let you know how she goes....
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Hmm, there aren't 50 frames in the ASA, just 3, but they span 51 frames.

I'm not sure this still works, if it doesn't you can lower the framerate and change the frame numbers.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Whelp, just a note for future writing of asa files. Scale is always '1', meaning that regardless of the model's scale ingame, the asa file considers '1' whatever the ingame model's scale is. ;)

I'm still confused, though. At 51 frames, the smoke takes about 45 seconds to traverse the length of the tunnel -- that's not the time frame you wanted, was it? I also didn't notice any reference to the hangboards in the asa file, so they didn't move anywhere.

:o

*I can zip up the test level at about 4.5 mbs, if you wanted to take a look at it up front and personal like. It'll be as it was just before this import.

**It'll be inside diehard's public_html folder, so you'll need to delete as soon as I've uploaded it. ;)