TC Ops Level Remake?

Management front office desk. Ask away.

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Webteam, TresCom Board Managers

Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-
Antispam: No

Post by Slugger »

I agree with machf about open-sourcing our work: specifically all of the programs that we use here, such as TresEd, GeomAdd, and TPDC. Even if the source codes are just handed to a few people (who in turn would pass them on when they leave), just the source is out there....
0066521C: 'Cannot create local swap file - Is Trespasser installed??',0Ah,0
"Cold lino was the driving force behind world power!"
chronzerg
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by chronzerg »

Just imagine what could be done to TresEd. There are so many things we would love to accomplish.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Exactly. Open-Source is indeed the key.

I mentioned before that I contacted Andres, but he hasn't replied yet. I'm pretty sure he'd release the source.

As far as TPDC concerned I'm still cleaning up the code, adding comments and removing entangled spaghetti. Once done, I'll release the code which will also be the final binary release. I don't want to release it while it is still a mess, that just adds another obstacle, it'd be easier for someone to re-write it from scratch. Anyway, I am pretty much done, maybe I'll just push it out this weekend. :)

And like MP said, pretty much all we created is already available. I can't think of a thing that hasn't been released by now. If someone does know of something, please do ask.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Well, the only item that I have that was never released is the 2nd tc-ops patch. Hell, I don't think I even gave it to Remdul and Paul since I actually forgot all about it.

Anyhoo, that's on another harddrive, but I'll see if I can dig it up sometime over the weekend. Yet as MP and Remdul said, the days of new ops material is pretty much over. The torch is being passed.

;)
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Remdul wrote:Exactly. Open-Source is indeed the key.

I mentioned before that I contacted Andres, but he hasn't replied yet. I'm pretty sure he'd release the source.

As far as TPDC concerned I'm still cleaning up the code, adding comments and removing entangled spaghetti. Once done, I'll release the code which will also be the final binary release. I don't want to release it while it is still a mess, that just adds another obstacle, it'd be easier for someone to re-write it from scratch.
I know what you mean, I feel the same...
Though I'm pretty good with spaghetti. ;)
Anyway, I am pretty much done, maybe I'll just push it out this weekend. :)

And like MP said, pretty much all we created is already available. I can't think of a thing that hasn't been released by now. If someone does know of something, please do ask.
Rebel wrote:Well, the only item that I have that was never released is the 2nd tc-ops patch. Hell, I don't think I even gave it to Remdul and Paul since I actually forgot all about it.

Anyhoo, that's on another harddrive, but I'll see if I can dig it up sometime over the weekend.
Good. How big is it, anyway?
Yet as MP and Remdul said, the days of new ops material is pretty much over. The torch is being passed.

;)
As long as you don't pass it to a pyromaniac...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

machf wrote:
Rebel wrote:Yet as MP and Remdul said, the days of new ops material is pretty much over. The torch is being passed.

;)
As long as you don't pass it to a pyromaniac...
LOL!!!! XD ;)

(Have been mostly absent from the forums quite a bit lately, my apologies. Most of that is all done with now so I should be back to my usual Tres-busy self.)

I actually know of some Ops-related things that have not yet been released, but I won't bring those up just now.. ;)

Hmmmm about updating the TC Ops Final level. Personally, I think it would be fun and worth the effort for some of us to do it. New dinos would be a nice touch, and some improvements like oh... well back then, there was no terrain editor, it was all grayscale-heightmap importing, lol!! So a lot of terrain things could be fixed. I'd also fix a fair number of textures, just so it has a few feel to it. I think I'd leave most of the models alone, other than dinos, those were all great. ;) Some areas in the level were slightly under-developed, I might fix those up... but this would all wait until the proper time. Perhaps whenever a third level in the TC-trilogy would be completed by someone.. ;)

Lol those negative scales do make me wonder.. in Max, negative scales are used to reverse the geometry of an object. Normally that's for something like mirroring.. and is removed when the pieces of an object are joined up again. Never thought of what might happen to that in Tres...

Heh, I'd also like to make clear that I understand the torch has been passed. I'm quite satisfied with what TC_Ops has given us all over the years, back in their hayday, and am forever grateful. The torch certainly will be put to good use, knowing the members among us who currently hold it. ;) I'll personally be happy as long as the Elders continue to stop in now an' then to post and have a look at what's up. :D