TheIdiot's new mod set on Isla Nublar

Moderators: scallenger, Wajas, TheIdiot

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: Level 1: RTJP~Helipad Development

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Looking good!
Thanks! Ah, Draco - gonna send you a PM, I have a task for you that isn't modelling one of the three hundred maintenance sheds. :P
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

*saw it, was collapsed under wall of text* Will reply later..
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Well, it's been a long time since I updated, but believe it or not, progress continues to be made! Here you see it in the form of much more film-accurate and higher detailed dinosaur paddock road markers. Keen observers will also notice the new dinosaur skull icons Draconisaurus and I have been working on - the Rex and Herrerasaur icons are brand new, as is the text underneath all of them. All of the dinosaurs which use markers (all but a select few) will receive the same treatment to get the absolute most film-accurate look possible.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Very nice! What's the implication of the camera logo? It does after all say "No flash photography"...
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Very nice! What's the implication of the camera logo? It does after all say "No flash photography"...
It seems to me like this is a spot where the cars would stop for visitors to get out and rest for a while or take pictures (presumably only without the flash on their cameras). It's present on the Rex paddock sign in the movie, seen when Gennaro runs into the restroom at the start of the Rex attack.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Ah.. I didn't even think about non flash photography, lol.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Been horribly busy for the last week (again), but I managed to do a couple of little edits I've been thinking of doing for a while now:

Finally got around to editing the Raptor skin. I wanted to make it even more accurate to the movie, adding details such as wrinkles and splotches to the skin. It now looks almost exactly the same as the Raptors seen in the movie - I even took the eye straight from an image of the actual, screen-used prop. Finally, just to perfect it, I made a new set of high-res (256x1024) teeth since the old 256x64 ones were looking really rough compared to the rest of the texture. Additionally, I made a tiny change to the model, removing the brow ridge, which looked more JP3-esque than the Raptors seen in the first two movies. The male Raptors will retain the ridge, as well as a set of bumps along the neck - perhaps a precursor to the feathered JP3 Raptors.

New horizons! I completely re-did the sky textures using more realistic-looking clouds, and added a horizon line of clouds to ensure a smooth blend. This is just the sky that will be used in RTJP~Helipad - I have a number of other variations for use in the later levels.

But the sky isn't the only thing that's new in this image...
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

This is all really awesome, TI! I'm really liking the highly detailed raptor skin, and the sky texture as well. It makes Trespasser look like a whole other game. I also like the Franchi Spas in the background of the first picture, it looks really movie-accurate.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Looooking good! :| Never thought of using the CE horizon feature for distance-clouds. RTJP promises to be / already-is one of the biggest mods TresCom will see in its day.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

This is all really awesome, TI! I'm really liking the highly detailed raptor skin, and the sky texture as well. It makes Trespasser look like a whole other game. I also like the Franchi Spas in the background of the first picture, it looks really movie-accurate.
Thank you! :) That Raptor was a pain to make since I pretty much had to re-do the whole thing, then blend it together. Whoever did the UV mapping on that Raptor made it really difficult to get the seams patched up.
Completely forgot about the SPAS-12 in the background since this is just the test level you're seeing in that image...I don't think it'll be final though, there are some details that look really weird at the moment.
Draconisaurus wrote:Looooking good! :| Never thought of using the CE horizon feature for distance-clouds. RTJP promises to be / already-is one of the biggest mods TresCom will see in its day.
Thanks as always! :) The horizon clouds were sort of included out of necessity since if I didn't have them, there would be a huge gap between the actual sky clouds and the ocean horizon due to fogging. And haha, yeah, I think if I we finish the mod completely with all 7 or 9 levels (can't remember the exact number I have planned), it will end up the longest Trespasser-related material ever made, even longer than the original game due to the open-world aspect of the levels. :D I think JPDS will probably be the only thing that rivals it since the two have roughly the same amount of playable area, except JPDS didn't use the entire heightmap in the end.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Heheh.. JPDS took 6.5 years. I joke with myself that it actually took 65 million years.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Progress continues slowly but surely...

An intersection in the jungle not far from the helipad.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Can't wait to be winding my way through these roads to see where they lead... It was fun even with the unfinished version you shared with me.. ;)
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I know I said I wouldn't post any more WIP updates, buuuuuuttttt...

Here she is, the final model (well, almost - she has a few minor things to fix) for Diane...only ~5000 triangles! I had to split her into two seperate models, one for the actual functioning components including her arm, and one that contains the other non-essential body parts; I'll be attaching the extra parts using the fixed CEntityAttached that Lee implemented. She's fully bumpmapped and includes hi-res textures as well. Each model is in the range of 2900 triangles, so unfortunately she is limited to CE as ATX and retail will crash when loading her. The only thing she no longer has compared to her older incarnation is her camo jeep cap, which I did away with in the end, deciding that she was probably better off without it in the tropical heat. She also wears a long-sleeve shirt instead of a tank-top for that rough, action-ready Private Military Company look.
As for the heart tatoo...gone! Instead, her skin will be cut up and bruised to represent different stages of injury up until death. The system is imprecise, however, so to help with that there is also the new HUD that I've nearly completed as well, showing health and ammo in small, barely noticable displays as with the old ATX implementation. They are visible enough to tell you what you need while not cluttering up the screen.

Now I just need someone to rig her up for me as I have no idea how to go about that and she'll be ready for action! *looks hopefully toward the master-rigger known as machf*
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Did you keep in mind the OTHER limit - only 200 vertices per bone when rigging a CAnimate object? And you don't get to use ALL of Anne's 22 bones, either...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files